Laparoscopy experience....

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Vasumathy, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Here are my experiences & the information I have collected for my laparoscopy. The people whoever experienced laparoscopy are welcomed to write their experiences here….
    <u1:p> </u1:p>
    Laparoscopy is a keyhole surgery performed in the abdomen through two or three small incisions (0.5 to 1.5mm). One hole will be under your belly button & the other will be in the panty liner, third one is based on the necessity. Laparoscopy is direct visualization of the peritoneal cavity, ovaries, outside of the tubes and uterus by using a laparoscopy. The laparoscopy is an instrument somewhat like a miniature telescope with a fibre optic system which brings light into the abdomen. It is about as big around as a fountain pen and twice as long.

An instrument to move the uterus during surgery will be placed in the vagina. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is put into the abdomen through a special needle that is inserted just below the navel. This gas helps to separate the organs inside the abdominal cavity, making it easier for the physician to see the reproductive organs during laparoscopy. The gas is removed at the end of the procedure.

Preparations for laparoscopy:
    Laparoscopy will be done as a out patient procedure and you can get discharged within a day. You will be asked to get admitted in the prior day night and you can get discharged from hospital the same day when laparoscopy is done.

Patient should not drink water for 8 hours before surgery. Mostly laparoscopy will be done in the morning. So from night you need to stop consuming liquid. If you feel thirstier, wet only the tongue and lips with cotton.

From prior day after noon only liquid foods will be allowed. Even if you have any food, enema will be given to clear food in abdomen in night. Consuming more protein rich food in the prior day morning will help in giving strength to the body.

Blood pressure and temperature will be checked the prior day night.

Before surgery, remove glasses, contact lenses and jewels if you have any.

Patient is asked to take bath in the morning. You will be asked to change to disposable dress which will have complete back open.

During Laparoscopy:
    Heart rate and blood pressure will be monitored. IV fluids will be given. General anaesthesia will be given. So the person will not feel anything until the procedure completes. For me, somebody said anaesthesia is being given & asked to do deep breathe. Then I didn’t remember any thing. In the end someone asked me to open my eyes as my operation is over & I woke up. This looks funny though this is what will happen to me in the operation table.

Then the patient will be taken to recovery room. Heart beat will be monitored. Will feel drowsy and will have blurred vision for sometime. Gynaecologist will look for your close relative to inform about the procedure. You will be taken to your room within half an hour if conditions are normal.

After Laparoscopy:
    You will continue to have IV fluids for few hours or until feeling better. Don’t drink water immediately after becoming conscious. Don’t drink water for 2 to 3 hours to stop having nauseous feelings. Wet your lips and tongue to prevent thirsty feeing. After few hours, you will be asked to consume liquid. Then can have some water and other energy drinks.
    You will be asked to pass urine before getting discharged. This is to ensure, the operation doesn’t cause any disturbance to urinary track. If your conditions are fine, not feeling nauseous and doesn’t have problems with urinating, you can get discharged with in 6-8 hours post procedure.

If you have bleeding or high pain in the places where incisions is made, report to gynaecologist.

There may be shoulder pain due to the residue CO2 in the body.

You may have drainage from these incisions for a day or two. Don’t worry. There is nothing wrong.

Eat easily digestible food in the evening after laparoscopy.

You can expect sore throat for a day or two.

There may be sharp pain in the abdomen due to the procedure.

Wounds in the places of incisions will get healed within 10 days.
    <u1:p></u1:p>

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

2. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Good article Vasumathy! Neatly presented!

Thanks for the share :thumbsup

3. Vasumathy

Welcome dear....

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Nice writeup on Laproscopy my dear Vasu.

5. PreethiPraveen

PreethiPraveen New IL'ite

Dear Vasu,
    Your article gave a clear picture abt lap.
    thanks for sharing
    cheers

6. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

dear vasumathy,
    so ur lap is done... ah?

how was ur experience ? cud they remove the fallopian tube block ?

7. Vasumathy

Thanks my dear co-mod!

Thanks for your comments Preethi.

8. Vasumathy

Ya... Almost 2 months back!
    First post of this thread is based on my experience only dear.

No they didn't remove tube block. It was just a diagnostic lap. May be due to the dye injection, block in one tube moved to the end, but not yet cleared. It may require another lap?:rant But the other tube also showed some problem!

9. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

Very informative !! thanks for sharing Vasu !!!

10. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vasu...... this has come in at the right time for me. I would keep in mind the pre & post care to be taken.

All the best again for your today's IUI, as you said all that is required is One single sperm..

Wish to discuss our Pregnancy soon after we all move to the "I am pregnant" forum :)