1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lai Gwad, Lai Gwad (very Sweet)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 5, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey Nandini,

Thanks a lot dear for the lovely feedback. I would love to go back to a ghural to have some 'authentic' sugarcane juice, but to be honest, I am scared of drinking it on the open streets. The idea of dipping glasses into already dirty water in a bucket is not exactly very appealing, but the ghurals used to at least wash the glasses in their own style!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Lahanpanache gosht
    Pausaat bhizlele divas,
    Oosachey goed goed ras
    aamhi kadhi visaru shaknaar ka?

(The memories of the childhood
    The rain drenched days
    The sweetness of the cane juice
    Can we ever forget?)

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

See? The usacha ras has triggered the poet in you, Geeta! You have outdone yourself! :-D

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Nostalgia trip!!!
    We had uncontaminated pleasures without any guilt trip when in college. Gannaras, panipuri.... not bothering about the hygiene part of the Gannaras or panipuri or surroundings we enjoyed them. Surprise is that we never fell sick also! Too much of awareness and knowledge has taken away fun from life!
    Kagaz ki kishti is my favourite song also!
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  5. satchitananda

Yes, Syamala. Those were days of unadulterated pleasures. It's strange how the hustle or even the monotony of daily existence has an effect of making us forget those little joys. That is when a bit of time on one's hands is therapeutic, giving one time to just shut one's eyes and to go into the past.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Oh Satchi, each and every snippet of yours sends me spiralling into my own nostalgia trip, of which I have nothing but fond memories!!

Usachi Ras, there used to be this shop called "Murlidhar Raswanti Gruh" at the corner of Bajirao Road and Tulshi Bagh, right opposite Vishrambaug Wada. That used to be my go to place for ras, because we got a 1/2 glass or a full glass and the 1/2 glass was 1/2 the price of a full glass, but was really 3/4th the quantitiy of a full glass really! So we felt really clever to order the 1/2 glass instead of the full glass!! It felt like we were getting more bang for our buck :)

Another favorite drink was limbache ras, with sabja seeds in it!! Such a treat on a hot summer day!

Aaah, I want to go to Pune now :)

7. satchitananda

Let me know when you are there next time, Peartree! I will gladly join you! And here's for days of Auld Lang Syne!

upload_2019-2-6_13-49-10.jpeg

[​IMG]

8. Paripoorna

Paripoorna Gold IL'ite

Sugarcane juice is my all time favourite satchi..
    Good to read your old sweet memories..

satchitananda likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Thanks a lot Paripoorna! Welcome to IL and to my snippets. Nice to see this is your first post on IL. :)

Paripoorna likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I spent considerable amount of time looking for a job in 1988 in Mumbai. I traveled a lot by BEST everywhere and wherever I went I used to see a guy selling Sugarcane juice. I drank as much as I like without worrying about the flies around and the pure sugar content in it. Now I am not sure whether I would be able to do it. By default, they added lime juice and ginger to the drink. Guess what! I got a job in Pune to work for Center for Development of Advanced Computing! My wife and I used to go to MG Road to drink Sugarcane juice. Later I got a job with a software company in Andheri in 1992. We lived in Kandivli Lokhanwalla complex but for work I need to come to Andheri everyday.

I used to work until 4 p.m. on Saturday and I have always requested by wife and son to come over to my office and we used to drive to Juhu Beach and eat Pani Puri, Bhel Puri, Sugarcane juice, etc. We had the age to digest all of that and go back home those days. Excellent memories you brought back through your snippet.