1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ladies working in the IT industry...hubby career in jeopardy!!! PLSSS answer!!!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Feb 19, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi guys,

Hubby is working for one of the top financial companies in USA in a good position.he has more than 15 years exp and employee in the same company.his career was going good,he is a hardworking man and unfortunately the current project he was working did not go well and closed down.his manager was was retired from his job.

Now,he was put i a new project under and this new manager keeps saying hubby is not doing good in his project.hubby works very hard and comes home very late almost one in the night!he is very stressed and his manager has given deadline till march 15th to say if he will have a job or not.

my life has come crashing down.I am non working,have kids and until now lead a smooth life.do not know what will happen.hubby will look for another job..started sending out resumes..

question is he is 40 and will he get a good position in another company or will he have to start from scratch??

Also,will salary will be way lower since he might be fired and the new company will be reluctant to hire a 40 year old guy who was fired from his old company???

i feel terrible...

guys kindly throw light on this situation.do not know how IT industry works in USA.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Re: ladies working in the IT industry...hubby career in jeopardy!!! PLSSS answer!!!!

Hi,

Calm down.

40 isn't old age..

First wait and watch. Ask him to make sure that the project work goes well, to the best of his ability.

Meanwhile try his luck with other jobs vacancies. He has this experience which would help.

Don't lose hope, BTW you need to support him, not get panicked and make him feel worse off. Give him moral support and that you are willing to face any consequences and would be able to stand by him whatever the result maybe.

Take care,
    Vaidehi

KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Re: ladies working in the IT industry...hubby career in jeopardy!!! PLSSS answer!!!!

Tell your husband to try for other job openings now itself..he has a manager who doesn't appreciate his hard work, and his job security is at stake..let him at least try to get 2 or 3 job offers so that if he let go from his job he has options. 40 isn't too old to switch jobs according to me.

1 person likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am not IT person, but as per my general understanding 40 yrs is not the right age for a beginner, like in the entry level post.
    But it is of course a reasonable age for a managerial position, which requires some 10-15 years of hands in experience. I am sure your H suits to this very well.
    So, don't panic. Have hopes, and positively encourage him.

It is true that some of our jobless Phds sadly fall into the age group of 35-40 years. They find it hard for a job because of their lack of previous experience. They would have spent almost all their times in education with theories, without any working experience. These are the people who find it very hard to secure a post at this age.

As for your husband, I don't think it is a huge challenge to find a job with all his previous experience. However, it is better if his present issue at work place is undisclosed.

Also, it is important to introspect the reason for the failure of his last project and the instability of his current working environment despite of his very successful work history in the past.
    Because, the most talented and enthusiastic staff can also have some hard times, where they fail.
    May be stress, depression, family problems, pressure, health issue etc.... 40 years of age is the good age for self evaluation both physically (health wise) and emotionally.

Good luck. My prayers are with you.

anika987 likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Will he be laid-off or fired? Firings are quite rare and require very egregious circumstances. I doubt your husband will be fired. Why will he have to start from scratch? Being let go doesn't erase your experience. He has 15 years of work-ex. All he has to do is start applying to positions that fit his profile. In 15 years he must have built a good network of contacts. He should get in touch with his friends and colleagues, and have his resume forwarded internally to as many places as he can. With his experience, a lateral move shouldn't be too hard.

The tech industry is very forgiving of lay-offs and even firings. Lay-offs are business as usual and hardly anyone raises an eyebrow at them. If you've been fired for nonperformance you can explain it as the result of personality conflicts or bad work culture. Problems occur only when people are fired for fraud or endangering their coworkers. In my experience, if you are a good fit for a position, people will be willing to overlook a lot.

6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Calm down. 40 is not "Over the hill" as it once used to be. This days it is more like 50. So it is possible for him to find a job. He can subscribe to premier status on some websites like LinkedIn where he gets more visibility on newer jobs and he can send direct in-mails to the hiring recruiter or the manager.

If nothing works, he can look for contracting jobs. There are many contracting jobs available.

Even if he survives this round, his manager is just immature and not worth working for.

Best of Luck.

7. Justanotherwife

Justanotherwife IL Hall of Fame

We cant over-stress this point. This is the crucial time, to show grace and stay calm.

3 people like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

lay-off is the word i guess...
    as i said id o not have much knowledge about the IT industry..

hubby has started sending out resumes and contacted his ex manager and old colleagues...

9. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

First thing no need to worry about it.

Second Plan what Next?

Let me suggest you an idea as he has good financial domain exp ask him to get the course on Business Analysis /Project Management , where he can use his core exp but project himself in new way so called IT industry thats all.

So still time is there until march grab the course, get prepared and he will get paid awesome than before.

And Age is for Body not for Mind/Heart/Soul. Talent is related to the same category no one can take away from us :)

Also In America students gets job so quick where in your husband has real core exp for about 15 years definitely with addition of some new skills he can reach more extra mile.

Also we cannot grind same lentils even after it already ready right? ... So Learning and being updated is most important to success of career.

Believe me he can do more good . And ALL THE BEST !!!!

Best Wishes

Sweetee :)

1 person likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

sure sweetie..just that i feel like am standing on a thorn bed:(

but since all u lovely ladies giving good advice keeps me sane.

1 person likes this.