Ladies from South Africa - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya
    Thanx for reply,very informative.NOW i am a little brave to think about leaving SA.In my opinion education here is now a lost cause.Have a 10year son and 3year son,worried what will be there life in years to come.Where are your family from,maybe i know them.
    Thinking of moving to AUSTRALIA,MELBOURNE.My hubby is in IT.Need to get a job there and then move.Are you still teaching.Baby just woke-up,chat later .bye.

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Tracey

Yes, I do understand how you are feeling. It is not an easy thing to do, to consider uprooting yourself just because you do not feel safe in your home anymore. But it is possible, and although you will lose much in making the transition, the long-term gains will more than make up for it.

I was born and raised in Stanger (small town on the North Coast, you must know it). I loved living in Stanger, but like so many places in SA now, it has lost most of its charm as people draw away from each other and concentrate on safeguarding their homes and possessions instead (it is hard to be neighbourly, friendly, and open when there is so much to lose if you let your guard down).

I'm not teaching here because currently, since the visa that I'm on doesn't allow me to work. However, this hasn't been a problem for me because I like living here very much and have lots to do. We are on a single income now, which means we are on a stricter budget here than when we were in SA but we're much happier. Also, it's much easier to live a better life for less money here because of a larger middle class (as opposed to SA, where the things we would consider luxuries, like 300 thread-count bed linens, are very expensive and out of the reach of ordinary people like me).

I've never been to Australia but many people that I know have moved there. They complain often about missing family and friends and all the other things that make SA home, but it is not impossible to adapt once you get there. The first few months may be hard, but if you keep some perspective and realise what a huge challenge you have undertaken, you will find the courage to persevere.

The best advice I can give you regarding finding jobs in Australia for your husband and yourself would be to search the internet for a recruiting agency. Often, these agencies will help both husband and wife to find jobs in their respective fields, and guide you in other ways (finding a place to live, schools for your children, etc.). Just make sure your company is reputable (read reviews, and assess the agency yourself for professionalism, etc.) and you'll be on your way!

To emigrate is not a decision that is to be taken lightly, but it's not as impossible as it may seem. Ultimately, it is a personal choice, so don't be discouraged by what people tell you. I've noticed that some people back home were very negative towards me when I said I was moving. Similarly, understand that life here is not perfect. But in many ways, it will be better than SA (for example, I'd rather be alive and lonely here, than possibly murdered and surrounded by family and friends back home).

I hope that some of this helps you in making your decision. Good luck!

Ansuya

3. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya
    I get what u say about being alive.I do know STANGER,even if there was family there
    i wont know about them.In the olden days families were closer than now.Majority of my mums and dads family i dont have a clue about.Our closer family are not that close anymore,too much family politics and keeping up with the "JONES".

One thing that i do know and is my opinion,SA has the ULTRA RICH,then theres the poor.If u have watched a magazine programme called TOP BILLING u would know what i mean.

I told a few of my family about going,the younger ones ,like my brothers say go for it.
    My mum and aunt were in tears but i pointed out its a sacrifice for my boys.I do know it will be difficult at first cos we dont have any family there.

Yes i would say we live in little prisons (thats our homes).Just read an article on Saturday on the front page.PROMINENT LAWYER FAMILY murdered.This happened about 20minutes from us in Morningside.The paper talks about the high security in that house,but still these people who spent there lives study,work and achieve all this were tied up gagged and throats slit in minutes.Its hideous.

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement.It is much appreciated.
    Tell me more about your days there,am curious.

Tracey

4. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Babi
    Sorry to here u are lonely.I want to move to MELBOURNE with my family.
    I have two boys, a 10 and3 year old .I am in South Africa,where are u originally
    from.

Can you tell me more about that place.Hows the transport system,the people,
    weather,job prospects.My hubby wants to get a job there in the IT field.
    It would be a big move for us but we are excited.

Crime is high and the interest rate is killing us and dont get me
    started about the schools.
    bi
    Sorry to here u are lonely.I want to move to MELBOURNE with my family.
    I have two boys, a 10 and3 year old .I am in South Africa,where are u originally
    from.

Can you tell me more about that place.Hows the transport system,the people,
    weather,job prospects.My hubby wants to get a job there in the IT field.
    It would be a big move for us but we are excited.

Crime is high and the interest rate is killing us and dont get me
    started about the schools.

Tracey

5. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

Thanks for the support.Dont you get bored at home,do u have kids.
    Understand your point about the middle class.It seems to be dwindling pretty fast.
    Now the very rich and very poor.

Stanger is a place that i do know about,dont have relatives there,or atleast i think.
    Every day theres depressing stories about crime and innocent people,am so sick of it.
    The crimes are getting closer to home.

Chatsworth has a huge drug problem(sugers)dont know if u are familiar with it.
    Thank GOD i am a stay at home mum.My husband is a little at peace that i am
    with the boys. T

6. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Tracey

No, I can't say I've ever been bored here. I manage to occupy myself quite nicely taking care of my home and husband. In addition to this, there's so much to do here, and since my movements are not restricted by fears for my safety, it all makes for a very peaceful, very fulfilling life. I don't have kids yet, but we're thinking about it. We're just a bit selfish right now and are still enjoying each other, even though it's been 4 years since we were married!

Yes, the crime in SA does seem to be getting worse, but the people in power don't seem to care. I guess their lives aren't in immediate danger, so it's not a priority for them. I've never been the direct victim of crime, but I have family and friends who have been, and that's been enough to terrify me.

I'm familiar with Chatsworth (my mother's from there, although she moved right after she got married). It stands to reason that with the economically depressed state that SA is in, the people who live in areas like Chatsworth, Stanger, Tongaat, Phoenix, and Verulam are going to succumb to such societal ills. Where there's no hope, and people aren't able to make a sustainable living, there's little incentive to try to better one's lot. The refuge that drugs and alcohol provide would be an easier alternative. I can get very depressed thinking about this, because those are some of the places I consider home, and they used to be good areas with great people.

I hope you're able to make some progress with your plans to move.

Ansuya

7. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

How are you?I am thinking of this site the entire day.IndusLadies is so convenient for me to use.I always look forward to it.

I had a good workout at gym today,was also busy talking about Australia with friends.
    Met a lady who got back from Australia after 3month visit to her eldest son and his
    family.Her advice was the same as yours.

Am trying to sort out passports for the family.I pray to God my husband gets job there.
    Things not well here,very disturbing crime going on,i tried to tell u but my letter
    did not go through.Could be due to content,am just finished reading Forum Etiquette.

Glad to her married life is still a blessing for you and i wish you many "little blessings"
    I am happy to say i am married for 11 beautiful years and sometimes feel like it all
    happened yesterday.My 2 adorable sons are a result of that.
    Do take care.

Tracey

8. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

How are you.Glad to there about your life.Thanks for the caring words.

9. tracey

tracey New IL'ite

Hi Ansuya

I have not heard from you in a while.Are you okay.I miss chatting to you.

10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Tracey

I'm just fine, thanks for asking. I'm a bit worried about all the political turmoil in SA at the moment. What is it like right now, for the average South African? Are you all concerned about what is going to happen in the common months as Thabo Mbeki resigns? Let me know what the feeling on the ground is.

I hope you're making some progress with your research into living in another country.

Thanks
    Ansuya