1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies Discover exquisite and rich collection of Indian sarees!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by lathanarasimhan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

:goodidea:
    Hi Indus ladies,
    We have a wonderful variety of sarees from all parts of our country.
    Illkal ,kanchipuram,Oddissi,Pochampalli,Bandini,Baluchari,Kanthawork,to name a few.
    I would like to know about these Wonderful sarees.Do join this thread.
    I'll start with kasuthi work sarees.
    Kasuthi is a beautiful embroidery work.Its famous in Maharashtra &Karnataka.
    Kasuthi can be done on Illkal,Narayanpet,cotton &silk sarees.
    It is also done on old Kanchi silk to give a new look.
    I have a Maharashtrian friend who is an expert in kasuthi.I also have a few sarees
    worked by her.When ever I wear one of my Kasuthi sarees ,there is a stream of
    compliments.
    I'll try to load the pictures of kasuthi soon.
    Regards latha.:yes:

2. AshaUnni

AshaUnni New IL'ite

Hi...
    I will give a short note about Kerala Sarees.

Kerala Sarees are symbolic of Kerala culture and tradition. The elegant Kerala Saree, off white with gold border is unique for their natural color, texture and golden border. These sarees lend an extraordinary elegance to the person wearing it. Every Malayali woman possesses at least one Kerala sari in her wardrobe.

Traditionally women in Kerala also wear a two piece cloth named 'settu mundu', also known as 'mundum neriyathum' with natural body color and breathtaking border shades, which when worn, exactly look like a saree.

I am attaching photos of Kerala Sarees.

Regards
    Asha

Attached Files:

3. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Hi Latha,

Did you start a thread on this? Please let me know if there is one. I am very interested in Kasuthi work.

Thanks
    Sunitha

4. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi, I am a Anchor Design studio craft teacher and learnt Kasuthi from Anita Choudapurkar, a National Award winner for Kasuthi. It is an intricate art form and is about 1000 yrs old and began in the Chalukyan times in Karnataka. There are 4 types of stitches used in Kasuthi- Gavanthi or double running stitch, Menthi or the cross stitch, Murgi or the zigzag stitch and Negi or the weaving stitch. The work was done in the past by counting the weft and the warp threads on dark coloured irkal saris but of late, mosquito mesh is used as a grid to evolve the pattern. It is said that the ladies used to take the waste threads from the weavers to create intricate designs. The designs were inspired by the towering temples built in the chalukyan times and nature. The entire pattern is dorukha or reversible that is there is no right and wrong side to it. It is similar to the Blackwork of Europe.

Regards
    Jayashree Madan Gopal

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. rsindhuja

rsindhuja Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jayashree...
    Thanks for info about Kasuthi work..
    Pls do post ur works in Hobby and craft section here..
    Waiting for it...

Sindhuja

6. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Sinduja,

I will do that soon.

Jayashree

7. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I read this in a book sometime ago and found the concept interesting. In India white is classified into 5 shades according to the Vishnudharmothara highlighting the sensitivity to subtle shade differences--these are called ivory, jasmine, August moon, August clouds after they shed the rain and the conch shell. Indian textiles can be traced back to the madder dyed fabric found at Mohenjodaro proving the knowledge of dyeing even in those ancient times.

Fabrics of India have always been complementary to the natural setting. The bright colours used by the people of Rajasthan and Kutch compensates for the stark desert landscape. In the Deccan region colours become subordinate to design and in Kerala the populace primarily uses garments devoid of colour as if to celebrate the magnificence of nature's bounty. This process is reversed in Assam and Bengal

Isnt that food for thought???? Does that not make us proud of our artistic legacy???

I am totally facinated by our tradition

Jayashree

8. rubypinto

rubypinto New IL'ite

Hello Madam,

i want to buy a good saree for my mom, she is 58yrs old she likes weightless sarees.
    which saree should i buy from where could you please suggest, it should look good and grand as she doesnt like chumki and mirror works. will you suggest me. i m at chennai only. i want to buy it with maximum budget of Rs.1000/-

Thanks,
    Ruby

9. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Ruby,

You haven't mentioned the material that you are looking for. So I thought that I will list the various options possible.

Good cotton saris within your budget are Venkatgiri which are light with 120 count cotton and pure jari border, semi gadhwal since pure gadhwals start from 2000 plus, Kalamkaris are yet another option but are without zari, Orissa's ikat ranges from 400--2500 for cottons. Narayanpet saris are also within the same range

In silk you could try the bandhani silks which are around 1400 or the Bangalore silks or the Kashmir printed silks, Chanderi, Irkal, and Maheshwari saris come in Silk Cotton blends.

I dont know the shops where these are available in Chennai but, in Bangalore exhibitions are a good place to source the saris.

Hope this helps

Jayashree

10. thomamaria

thomamaria Guest

Kerala saris can be further enhanced by doing embroidery or fabric painting on them . This seems to be a trend nowadays in Kerala. However my personal feeling is too much embellishment sould not be used since these sarees have a beauty of their own as described so well by Asha Unni.