Labor bag checklist

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by Priya_Mommy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Re: what are the absolutely necessary stuff that I should prepare ahead of time

attaching here the list I created for my sis-in-law based on my experience.

baby bathtub ESPECIALLY FOR BABY IS A GOOD BASIC ONE, SUMMER INFANT SPA SHOWER IS THE HIGHER END ONE WITH THE SHOWER ATTACHMENT

baby bibs

baby blanket TARGET HAS GOOD ONES AT REASONABLE RATES

baby bottles TRY BORN FREE AND DR. BROWNS, BEST ONES ON THE MKT. BUY 1 OF EACH TO SEE WHICH BABY LIKES BEST, AND THEN GET 5 MORE LATER

baby clothes hamper any basic one

baby clothes hangers need atleast 2 dozen

baby comb 2

baby crib / bassinet CAN GET 2ND HAND FROM CRAIGSLIST, JUST GET A NEW MATTRESS

baby crib sheets TARGET HAS GOOD ONES AT REASONABLE RATES

baby head supporter USEFUL BEC. THEY WAKE UP WHEN THEIR HEAD MOVES AROUND IN SLEEP. BEST ONE IS Eddie Bauer® Airflow Head Support FROM TARGET

baby lotion WE LIKED CETAPHIL BEST AS IT IS THE LEAST NON-ALLERGENIC. GET FROM COSTCO

baby mobile any basic one

baby monitor SONY HAS ONE THAT RETAILS FOR 44 BUCKS. VERY GOOD. FOR 65 DOLLARS YOU CAN GET AN EXTRA MONITOR FOR A 2ND ROOM

baby nail clippers WE KEEP LOOSING OURS SO WE HAVE 1 IN EACH ROOM IN THE HOUSE. NAILS NEED TO BE CLIPPED 2 TIMES PER WEEK. WE LIKED THE ONE FROM SAFETY 1ST THAT HAS A BUULT IN MICROSCOPE

baby soap/shampoo MUSTELA IS EXPENSIVE BUT GOOD. WE LIKE BURT'S BEES COCONUT BODY WASH AND SHAMPOO

baby swing THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE MUST HAVE ITEM ON THE LIST. FISHER PRICE ONE THAT RUNS ON ELECTRICITY IS GOOD.

baby thermos TO STORE HOT WATER, VERY USEFUL.

baby towel (with hoodie) TARGET HAS GOOD ONES AT REASONABLE RATES

baby washcloths CARTERS MAKES GOOD ONES

bottle brush ESPECIALLY FOR BABY IS THE BEST ONE, AVAILABLE ONLY AT BABIES R US, GET 6 AT A TIME AS THEY RUN OUT FREUENTLY

bottle sanitizer FIRST YEARS MAKES A GOOD ONE

bottles drying rack FIRST YEARS MAKES A GOOD ONE

breast cream LANSINOH IS THE BEST

breast pads BUY IF YOU HAVE LEAKAGE, I DID NOT.

breast pump accessory kit(if using breast pump) get 2

breast pump(if using) MEDELA PUMP IN STYLE ADVANCED

car seat CHICCO KEYFIT TRAVEL SYSTEM IS THE BEST OUT THERE

changing pad and cover(2) WE USED THIS TO LAY AADIT AROUND THE HOUSE WHEN HE WAS NOT ROLLING OVER. VERY VERY HANDY!

clothes - onesies only the ones with zips

diaper bag any basic one

diaper rash cream A&D REGULAR ONE IN THE YELLOW TUBE IS THE BEST

diapers ORDER FROM DIAPERS.COM, WE LIKED PAMPERS SWADDLERS THE BEST

epi-pillow # 1 MUST HAVE FOR MOM. GET AT BABIES R US OR AMAZON.COM OR DIAPERS.COM. I FOUND IT EXTREMENLY USEFUL IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS OF PREGNANCY.

receiving blankets GET THE BIGGER SIZED ONES, 20x30 INCHES, USEFUL FOR LAYING BABY AROUND THE HOUSE

side snap shirt VERY USEFUL BECAUSE BABIES DON’T LIKE STUFF PUT OVER THEIR HEADS, CARTERS HAS GOOD ONES

socks, mittens, hats, booties SOCKS - GET FROM KOHLS, THE SOCKS THAT LOOK LIKE REGULAR ADULT ONES, OTHERS JUST GET PUSHED OFF BY BABY. MITTENS - NEWBORN SIZE FROM CARTERS

water-proof pads FROM BABIES R US, GET THE LARGEST ONES U CAN FIND
    wipes COSTCO BRAND IS THE BEST

baby gym A BASIC ONE WILL DO, NO NEED TO GET THE EXPENSIVE ONES

baby swaddlers GET 1 AND SEE IF BABY LIKES, THEN GET MORE.

changing table WE STOPPED USING OURS WHEN AADIT STARTED ROLLING OVER. EASIER TO CHANGE THEM ON THE BED!

feeding pillow WE NEVER USED IT

1 person likes this.
  2. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

Pmahensa -

thanks a ton for this list :)- you have really taken effort and created this for new moms like us who have nothing but confusion in our heads...

i was also having lots of doubts - like newlife but you really cleared up my mind - thanks soooooo much .

can i ask you is onesies the same as stretchsuits? whats is onesies exactly?

thanks a ton
    khushi.

3. Happysoul1234

glad to be of help khushi!

Onesies are those leg to neck dresses, they come with either buttons or zips. so far I have only seen the ones with zips at kohls. the button ones are too irritating, especially at night. here is an example

Carter's Animal Sleep and Play and Bib Set

This is the one I like

First Moments 2-pk. Puppy Sleep and Plays#

I would just put a baniyan under this for my kid. and a sweater over it when it was cold.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. khushipoise

Pmahensa - thanks :) I also liked the second link you sent - they are really cute :)
    I have a few more doubts - it may sound silly but if you could answer them for me -
    what is a recieving blanket ? What's it's use ? And what's swaddlers? What do we use it for ?

Is the changing pad and cover you mentioned like the rubber sheet we get in India so the bed doesn't get wet? If yes, if I ask my mom to get the rubber sheet is it ok ? Or this is better?
    What's a baby mobile?
    What's a baby gym ? A clothes hamper ?
    About diapers - my mom has purchased some cloth ones from India - are they useful?
    They say that we can use them when we are at home... How will we manage to do the laundry here?
    Sorry I hope I didn't bother u with lots of questions, but just needed your advice.
    Thanks,
    khushi

5. Happysoul1234

good luck with your baby !

6. newlife2010

newlife2010 New IL'ite

Pmahensa and priya_mommy,
    thank you all so much for your valuable suggestions.your list is really handy as I get so confused to see so many different varities of products in the store.

two questions:

1)I found graco travel system is sort of cheaper.can anyone recommend which model would be the best choice and do we have to assemble anything?

2)my mom was suggesting that in old days they used to make some home made pillows filled woth mustards which helps form a perfect round head shape of the baby.I checked that online and seems like a lot of people used to do that before.alternatively there is horseshoe shaped pillows available in the market?
    do you have any experience about all these?I mean what do you use as substitute as pillows are not recommended for babies.is it like folded bedsheet or something?

3)do we need to buy both onesie and bodysuite as shown in he following link?
    First Moments 3-pk. Hot Dog Bodysuits
    thanks

7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

newlife

While I am not a mommy yet and the others have given you exhaustive lists, I hope this would be of some help to you as well. My sister specifically did all this before she had her first child -

1) Bought quite a lot of one-sies and then the long ones, that cover the entire body of the baby (I don't know what they are called). She made sure all of them were 100% cotton and she just rinsed all the new clothes in plain water once.

2) A lot of the swaddlers which are available in Target, I think they cost something like 5.99 for a 3-pk or sthing like that. Those she rinsed as well

3) She asked my mom to buy some of those soft cotton sleeveless shirts that we get in India. Though the baby did not wear them immediately, when summer rolled around, he felt vert comfortable in just a diaper and those little cotton shirts

4) My mom also brought a lot of my grandmother's old cotton sarees. After my sister had to start working again, when my mom was taking care of the baby, she would just lay him on those sarees near where she was working and the baby seemed just fine.

Not sure if these are any useful tips, but just in case. All the best for the safe arrival of the little one :thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  8. khushipoise

Pmahensa
    thank you so so much for clearing all my doubts - you have been really kind :)
    I am looking foward to my little one .:)
    my best wishes to you - which week are u ?
    Is this your second child?
    Best,
    khushi.

9. divyaprashmenon

divyaprashmenon Senior IL'ite

Hii,
    I have been reading this post over and over for the last two days.

I am planning not to use diapers for my baby in the first 3-4 months. Can we get clothes (tops & bottoms) for baby in US? I am yet to search in BabiesRUs. I am also searching for the waterproof sheets,like the ones we use in India.

Please help me in this.

Thanks,
    Divya

10. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

hi priyamommy&ILites,
    I have a question about the cotton dresses during labor,delivery time in hospital.I dont have many cotton salwars right now with me.
    Can I manage with track pants and tops?Is the casual wear equally comfortable like the cotton salwars, with so much pains around the belly during hospital stay?Which one is better to give me comfort?
    I am hesitating to wear nighties in hospital.
    I have 2 feeding nighties and 4 normal nighties also.

Can you please clear my doubt.