Kolu Photos - 2007

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by krishnaamma, Oct 13, 2007.

1. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Re: Kolu Photos

Dear LataMurali,

Thanks for ur reply paa.I'll dowload and send the "Golu Photos" 2morrow.

Keep Well & Enjoy Navarathri Festival.

With lov,
    suba

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very nice Golu, Subha! Really enjoyed seeing it!
    sriniketan

3. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Subha....yeah very good Golu..... hope u r missing this in US :)

Rgds,
    suba

4. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much.....credit goes to my MIL:clap:thumbsup:)

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Nice to see the golu photos, suba..What a big big idols!!!

Have anyone visited here in Balaji mandir, NJ? They do have a nice kolu with big bommais & nice alankarams everyday and it is nice feast for our eyes.

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    It is my privilege and pleasure, to present here the youngest blogger, I came across today. She is none other than Sweet Little Kavya, our Cheeniya's elder grand daughter.
    When I went to their house today, Kavya took me to the computer & asked me to read her first blog. Believe me, she has inherited her thatha's genes in a great measure. I strongly suggested to Cheeniya to post it in I L . But he was a little reluctant, understandably. So I asked Kavya to send it to me by mail.
    Kavya , You are a chip of the old block - your Thatha should be justifiably proud of you.
    I am posting a photo of the 2 sweet angels Kavya & Kriti by the side of their kutti kolu.
    The next post carries Kavya's blog & the photo of the kolu, she has written about.
    I wish to share my pleasure with every one of you.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

7. Chitvish

THE GOLU EXPERIENCE

It was navaratri. This is one of my favorite times of the year. This is when we have navaratri golu. I love arranging the dolls or ‘golu bommais’. This year, since my grandpa was sick, we decided to keep only a few dolls. I was very disappointed about it. So I decided to keep my own tiny golu.
    I started by making seven steps using seven of my thickest books. I used all the small toys I had even if I had to sacrifice playing with them. The sixth and seventh books would not stand and they made me so frustrated! I picked up a bunch of pens lying on the table and stuff them under the books. They finally stood up but were still wobbly…..
    So now we had two golus, mine and my grandmother’s.
    A school set was one of the sets in my grandmother’s golu. The benches were somewhat crooked. So the students would keep falling backwards. Finally somehow Innadi (the pet name I have given my grandmother) managed to make them sit, though somewhat unsteadily. But I knew that even if an ant touched them with a feather, they would fall!
    We, as per our custom, called over people to see our golu. We called over all our neighbors. One of them brought along a young boy, a pretty restless one. In fact, he was known in the neighborhood as ‘the naughtiest boy in the world!’. And as if reading my fears, he became most interested in the ever-unstable in school set. And before I could say “stop!” he had done it! He had touched one of the students!
    One of the students sitting in the first bench fell backwards and sent the student sitting behind her flying. He fell sideways, knocked down the student sitting next to him and fell the other way-right off the golu! The student he hit didn’t give up! He fell backwards and hit the toy behind him. One by one, they all fell like dominos. In the end, one of the most enormous toys fell on my golu. The sketch pens, not able to bear the weight, collapsed. The next moment, the sketches, the books, the cloth which was used to cover the books and the toys were all scattered around the floor.
    By now, all the guests were laughing their sides out! I was shocked, speechless and embarrassed! But seeing our guests, I decided to look at the funny side of it, and started laughing. This was the most exciting golu there ever was!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

WOW!!
    Really awesome pictures.
    I miss them here in US.

Thanks for posting them,
    Punitha

9. Chitvish

Dear Friends,
    Today was a koolu-visiting day for me. I went to Sowmini Vibu's house this evening. She & her mother have kept 2 kolus on either side of a big room.
    Sowmi's theme was - Tradition & Modern.
    Her Amma's was - Dhanams
    I am very happy to inform you that a local weekly Mylapore Talk had announced prizes for the best kolu & Sowmini gets the prize !:tongue
    Please see the photos posted below.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  10. deepsee10

deepsee10 New IL'ite

hello all,
    I am i the US and I have joined Indusladies just recently. I live in the US. I would like to wish all of you a very happy navratri. May mother durga bring u us all peace and happiness and the inspiration to do good and be good.

I will keep writing as and when possible

rgds
    deepsee