Kitchen Tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Bhugan, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Krishnaamma,

I prepared pulikachhal and had taken one packet. It was very handy that on Friday night we reached very late and all the restaurants were closed. So we had that..

Our Paris trip was very good, though we were tired walking and walking.

Happy Diwali to you. Guess you are busy with Diwali prep.

I shall post about my diwali savories in the other thread. Thank you for all the help

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pavitra,

How are you? I missed this post for a looooooooooooooo ng time.bonk:hide:

sorry sorry. Thanks for your complements. waiting for your reply about Deepavali.:idea

3. anuusri

anuusri New IL'ite

Something@kitchenWhich i Practice-DummiesGuideForNewlyMarried- Timesaving shortcuts!!

Idly, dosa dough preparation - grinding work so easy:-

I usually do grinding work on weekends. While preparing doughs i used to prepare all doughs together so that it is easy to use for the week ahead.

ie. wen i put Grinder for preparing idli dosa dough i prepare adai and atta dough too.Hope this enough for a entire week.

I soak separately for idly and adai dough.

First i prepare atta dough in my grinder. I use it for tat night's dinner or the other day morning. For storing atta dough i use aluminium foil paper or plastic cover to prevent changing colour of atta dough wen placed inside fridge.

Then i put urud dhal first take it out and grind rice for idly. Again i put urud dough inside, along with rice dough add salt and get it mixed instead of straining hands. After that i take out the idly dough(will not clean the grinder as i am going to prepare adai dough again).
    For adai dough first i put chillies and curry leaves grind it and then put rice for adai (consistency is kora kora) and then add soaked dhals.(only few Min's to prepare adai dough).

Note:-:idea i tried taking out some rice dough while preparing for idli and used to grind dhals alone for adai.(Instead of grinding rice two times) I could not come out with correct proportion for making use.(not a bad one)

For cleaning the grinder:-

After taking out adai dough in a separate container, i just add two cups of water and then run grinder for two ms. So entire grinding vessel will be cleaned. Finally i pour the water in separate container. After some hours water will be settled up and the dough will be in bottom of the container. So i drain water and mix the dough with adai.
    Also the grinder vessel can be washed very easily. Always it is very easy to clean the grinder as soon as grinding work over, only when you do immediately, instead of cleaning it later.(grinding vessel becomes more sticky also requires more water to clean)

Note:- :ideaTo get more urud dhal

I never add salt while grinding. I soak urud dhal for ten ms. in water and then drain the water and leave it for two hours.

For idly:- After few hours the dough will be raised in level. I never stir the dough, (idlies may become hard) i take the dough as such
    to prepare idlies. (ie the Top part of the dough for idlies)
    For dosa:- The bottom part of the dough for dosa.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  4. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Re: Something@kitchenWhich i Practice-DummiesGuideForNewlyMarried- Timesaving shortcu

Anu,

Thank you very much for your grinder tips. I was not sure about grinding chillis in wet grinder. Will try and let you know.

5. srilatharajesh

srilatharajesh Silver IL'ite

cucumber

when u buy cucumber do u suspect it to be bitter

then do this

cut the top portion, in a round about way slowly rub it over. u will see some white liquid getting discharged wash it thorugly and use it.

bitter will turn better

kalcandu likes this.
  6. srilatharajesh

srilatharajesh Silver IL'ite

best way to check tawa's heat

the best way to check if tawa is ready for dosa is

sprinkle some water on it and the sound will tell u

7. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Some kitchen tips I would like to add.

1)Always put newspaper below your vegetable pad so that white platform may not spoil.
    2)Add some salt when you are frying onion.It will fried soon
    3)Clean everything with detergent then use plain water .Things will shine A LOT.:)

8. Victoryman

Victoryman Senior IL'ite

9. chinnirekha

chinnirekha Bronze IL'ite

thnz for sharing tips

10. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Sometime back there was a discussion in IL about what to to with unsprouted green moong.

Here is the tip I found to be very useful.

Add the unsprouted green moong with any dhal and pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Green moong will be well cooked and its very healthy.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008