Kitchen tips for newly married and settled abroad

Discussion in 'Krishnaammas Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, Dec 13, 2006.

1. nikhath

nikhath Senior IL'ite

Hi Krishnaamma:

Apologies for the delayed response. I tried freezing the mint leaves using the freezer bags. I also tried to remove all the air before zip-locking the bag. It still did not help. The leaves still froze. I was suggested by my friend that increasing the cooling of the freezer can prevent this. Can u please guide?

thanks n regards
    Nik

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nik,

Yes, the leaves will freeze. When you want to use it, take them and use it directly. No problem.

3. krishnaamma

Hi Rashmi,

Same problem here too :bangcomp: ... I too dont know any solution.. Will tell you when I get a solution.:wink: If you get, you tell me:yes:

4. nikhath

nikhath Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your patience again Krishnaamma. Your tip works well! Of late I also tried storing curry leaves n coriander leaves in the same polythene bag n refrigerated it. Itz now been fresher for nearly ten days!!!

Regards,
    Nik

5. krishnaamma

Hi Nik,

Thank you for your feed back.:2thumbsup:

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Dear Krishnamma,

I read your posts and they are really helpful. I am recently married and living in Finland presently. I stopped buying coriander since they were getting spoilt. After reading your post I shall try storing them in freezer.

I have noticed that certain food items inspite after keeping in fridge they get spoilt. Its a colder climate here still many of the food items get spoilt in 2 days also. The white fungus gets formed.
    I had got papadams from India. I remember my Mom or MIL keeping them in stored containers outside only. Its just 1.5 months since they have been bought from India and they all got spoilt like the white fungus got formed on them:cry:

can you suggest some tips?

7. krishnaamma

Hi Tamil,

Welcome to this forum. Dont worry keep everything in the fridge and some in Freezer. But you must have 'frost free' fridge.You can not keep items in the freezer of a normal fridge.
    1. I am keeping pappads for more than a year. Not only pappad also vathal vadam varities. I will keep them in 'crisper' where we have to keep veg. I will use the full 'crisper' by keeping 'coffee powder' , all dhals, rice flour, besan, dry neem flowers, L.G. Powder, 'kesari powder', 'pachai karpuram', red chilly ( it will remain red and fresh, Tamarind (by keeping this in fridge it wont turn black for more than a year).
    2. In the freezer you can keep coriander leaves, pudina leaves, methi leaves, all cut vegetables, thill etc.,
    I think this will helpyou. Keep everything in seperate covers so that the smell will not spread on the other. Better to keep every thing what ever you are bringing from India.
    Even pickles you keep in fridge.

Please feel free to ask me your doubts if any. All the best.

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Krishnamma for your immediate response.
    I am not sure if mine is a frost free fridge, mostly it should be. We have the separate freezer apartment beneath the fridge.I can make ice cubes in that. However will check it today evening.

So, am I correct if I do the following:

1. As suggested by you, keep the vegetables, coriander etc in Freezer
    2. Papads , vadam vattal etc to be kept in Fridge where crisper i.e vegetables can be kept
    3. I also read the thread about Tamarind Paste. This should be kept in Fridge section?
    Also how much tamarind paste can we use for making rasam for two people?

I shall get ziploc covers today and try to rearrange my Fridge tomm (a task for the weekend :) )

I just wanted to thank you really since it has now given an insight to manage things efficiently.
    I am working and also I am pregnant due in Feb. So I was anyways scared how to manage work life, baby, home etc...I have been looking out for tips to make cooking faster and tastier. I shall note down all these.

If its not too much of a trouble, can you also post some general tips for young ladies to manage home, baby and worklife. I am sure it will benefit many like me.

9. krishnaamma

Hi Tamil,

Good to see your mail. Are you a tamilian? Just I asked so that some things I can write in Tamil.:tongue
    Ok here we go,
    1. You can keep 'cut vegetable in the freezer'.
    2. Regarding 'Tamarind paste' you can keep it in the Fridge. and there must be enough oil to submerge the paste pulp under the oil.
    3. You can put 1 tea sp. of tamarind paste for rasam, for 2 people for one time use. This you can adjust if you prepare rasam or sambar while using tamarind paste. Use less quantity first . Check the taste and at any time of cooking stage you can add the paste and correct the taste as per your wish.
    4. Please go through my 'House Made - Ready Made Powders To Make Cooking Easy ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
    5. And go through this also Basic Paste - To make cooking easy ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
      krishnaamma
    6. These links will help you in cooking . By using these powders and pastes and cut veg. You can finish cooking with in 1/2 hour.
    Yes, it is true. My husband and my son used to cook like that. They themselves cook on there own within no time.:-D Because I will travel between India and Saudi Arabia frequently, they are forced to live alone and need to cook.:thumbsup

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Yes Krishnamma, we are tamil brahmins and I can understand tamil..

I shall go through those links and its good to get some motivation for becoming organized. :)

I shall try as suggested by you and let you know.

You are currently in India or Saudi?I am sure even in Saudi you will have a lot of adorers who like your cooking a lot :)

Have a nice weekend.