1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

kids' strangest fears :-)

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Selvi, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

I find this cute & funny.. Post your own experiences too... :)

"Our toddler is terrified of pot holders, especially these two blue ones. Each time I try to take something hot out of the oven, I have to distract our son so he won't see the 'blue monsters.'" -- Faith, Connecticut
    "Our 2-year-old daughter hates bubbles. My husband discovered this a year ago when he blew a bubble with his gum. She immediately became hysterical. Now, more than a year later, she's still leery of gum chewers." -- Melissa, Iowa

"One day while walking with my son, I noticed a beautiful butterfly. When I eagerly pointed it out to him, he started screaming and immediately ran to hide. I couldn't believe it. My little boy was afraid of butterflies. I laughed so hard, I had tears in my eyes!" -- Jaime, Florida

"My 10-month-old is terrified of pine trees. Any time he sees one, he'll cling to me or whoever is carrying him and bury his little face to cry." -- Melizza, Illinois

"Our toddler is afraid of aluminum foil and the sound it makes when I crumple it up to throw it away. Whenever he sees it in our kitchen, he makes a pout, which quickly turns into a wail!" -- Sara, New Jersey

"Our baby is scared of our door stopper. Anytime he sees it, he cries so hard he can hardly catch his breath. Now he's carefully crafted his daily crawling path to avoid this scary spot." -- Susan, Florida

"My 1-year-old is afraid of his grandmother's old-fashioned rotary telephone. Whenever we visit her and her phone rings, he cries and tries to run away. Though he gets very upset, it's actually pretty comical." -- Kristyle, Arkansas

"My daughter is deathly afraid of our vacuum cleaner. As soon as I turn it on, she gets a fearful look in her eyes and slowly moves away from it. However, once the vacuum has been turned off, she'll walk around it, examining every inch. She's fearless as long as it's silent." -- Dee, Texas

</TEXT>

2. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

scary mixer!!!

Hey Selvi,

That was a cute one. My daughter when she was a year old was so afraid of the sound of the mixer. Whenever i used to grind something she used to start crying and screaming and once the sound stopped she wud stop crying too. Later on my hubby used to take her out whenever i would use the mixer. We used to laugh so much then. Your post kindled those sweet memories. Thanks for the same.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

fear i put i regret.....

my elder daughter was always fussy abt any food she would not eat what she relished yesterday is a no no today so it went on and on untill i told her one day that a langda booth standing outside, if she refuses he is going to turn up and to make it really beleivable i drew the eyes very large and just a round for head....with a stick for legs...and came parichay [hindi film with jeetendra and the kids with jaya bhaduri]from which i got this idea and when she saw the same in the film ...she started behaving very well at the mention of langda booth but till date cannot sleep alone or stay in darkness...i am unable to weed out the fear i put in her when a kid..regret so much abt it ...now she is 30 but still is very scared to sleep alone....and her hubby works in the night shift ....now u can realise how i go thru hell daily to learn she needs somebody's help even a little kid would do....sunkan

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

No Not Me !

What shall I wish to be ?
    Perhaps a rabbit in a burrow,
    But what if a cat came round and saw me ?
    A rabbit I will not be,
    No, not me.

What about a mouse ?
    What's there to fear ?
    Well, there are traps and a cat may be near
    A mouse I will not be, not me.

Let's think of a bird in tree,
    there is a lovely view that would'nt scare me.
    But then there's the cat that might catch me.
    A bird I will not be, not me.
    I think I will be just be happy as me.

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

My kids' experiences.

My daughter who is 3 yrs old were very much afraid of cooker whistle. That too, would not say cooker..amma switch off the KITCHEN KITCHEN which means cooker and she would stick at some corner of the wall like a lizard!!!!!!!!!!!Not any more, anyways..

Once we read to her some story which was little unusual, but not scary. But, you cant view their own imagination. Coincidently, my hub opened the garage and she linked both of them and refused to see that side at all. Later on, we never showed her that book.

My son, who is 7 yrs old was afraid of goblins, leprechaun a couple of yrs ago. At school, they used to discuss some stories and that is it; even, if I moved his things away from a place, he would say that L had come and moved it.

Similarly, when he was playing with his friend at the basement, by mistake, they had kept a block set somewhere. They both were arguing that some strange happened at the basement and that was the reason, the block got disappeared. Later, my hub., discussed and made sure that it was their absence of mind.

God only knows what is running in every kid's mind, isnt it?? Anyways, thanks for letting me an opportunity to share this funny and memorable experiences.

Rgds

6. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

hahha

good ones guys! My 1.5 year old daughter loves lizard!!! what can be worse than that!!! she tries to climb onto the wall to catch it! and what more, she is extremely gleeful when it moves .... god Kids!! :) " Cackle Cackle Cackle.. off she goes!"

Purnima

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

:) Interesting list of scary things....

My 18 month old is scared of static in TV. He channel surfs with the remote and when there is a static, he will just run and hide behind one of us.

Sunkan, sorry to know about your daughter's phobia.

Chitra, nice poetry..!

-Gayathri.

8. RadhikaKumar

RadhikaKumar New IL'ite

:)
    My 18 month old son cries for lawn mover, everyweekends most of us and our neighbours try to lawnmove, by hearing the sounds he keeps cryings untill sound disappears, we laugh like anything

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I understand that the discussion here about is kids phobia, but I think I can share my phobia which continues till date. The very mention of the name snake makes me go into shatters and I can walk or keep my foot on the floor I try to sit on the bed or the sofa for about 15 mins till I realize it is just a word and not real. When the name itself is like that then think of the pictures or movies portraying them. Whenever it comes previously my brother and now my daughter warns me that it is going to come so pls go out of the room or close your eyes. My daughter will come so close and hug me and will inform me when I can open my eyes.

Though I feel silly, I really cant come out of that particular phobia. God only can help me. The worst part is our astrologer suggested that according to my horoscope I have to go and pour milk to some snake idol or pambu puttu. Think of my situation. Thanks to my husband who has taken that job as it was told he can do it for me.

10. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

My 18 month is scared of ACVents:) and that too only the ones on the roof. She keeps looking at it and has a kind of expression on her face.....poor thing!
    Sometimes at night and if she is cranky and not sleeping, giving me a hard time...I will just say "where is the ACVent" and she looks up and comes close to me and sleeps.