1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids and their understanding power !!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sbonigala, Jul 6, 2012.

1. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

“Mumma You know Nichitha’s dad came to school to pick her up. Her mum comes daily to drop her and pick her up!! “ exclaimed my daughter Neha.
    “Oh is it!! Why dint her mum come today?? Did u ask your friend if her mom was unwell or something??”
    “No I dint!! Is it that only unwell people skip coming to school to pick up their kids? No mumma.. see you are well but you never come to pick me up, neither does DAD come. I go and come by school van. May be aunty had some work!! “
    When she said this, I could see she was seeing the floor rather than making an eye contact. She was feeling bad for something which she knows but she is not willing to speak openly. She was hurt and wanted me to comfort her not by words alone but by a deed.
    A four and half year old child wanted her mum to come and drop her school and pick her up after the school hours.
    I explained her that her mum loves her so much and hence works till evening to ensure her a safe and secured future and hence she cannot pick her up like her friend’s mum does. She seemed to be convinced, for she said “Yes that’s the reason she spends most of her time with me when she is home even though she is tired. I am not a coward kid like Nichitha. I dont need you to pick me up. I can come by van. I am brave"
    Still her eyes her looking down.
    I had tears in my eyes which my hubby noticed. “She is growing up fast. And she understands so much these days !! Thank god for such an understanding child”
    Soon after this incident we all got ready and reached our respective destinations Neha to school, we to our work place.
    Today I have decided am leaving all my work and going to pick my kid from school. I have promised her in the morning that mom would pick her up and we can have an icecream on the way back home.
    And later we can go out somewhere with her dad , bro and granny.

17 people like this.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shalu....
    Congrats dear you have very sensible DD and you have done the best thing... I am curious to know how it all ended .. I am sure your DD must have been excited and happy too... Please share

2 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I can only say thank God Shalu heard the silent request and decided to pick her child up. Who wouldn't like to have a change of routine and be surprised? That is so sweet Shalu and you do have a sensitive daughter.

3 people like this.
  4. sbonigala

Hi All :)

An update of what happened :)

As decided, Raj and I finished our work by 3 and started from office. On the way we discussed how our respective day was at work. By 3:15 we reached her school.

Neha was very particular that only her mum should go to pick her up. Reason - Nichitha's mom comes and her dad comes very rarely.

I tried explaining her that its even better if me and Raj go to pick her up. But she was not ready to listen to anyting else, She was firm that only mumma should come and no one else.

By the time I went I saw a set of moms standing in the ground awaiting the final bell to ring.
    A few smiled at me - they were the moms of those kids who were Neha's classmates in LKG. In UKG they were all disbursed into different sections again!!
    I joined them and was talking all routine things in my manageable kannada.
    Donno what they thought of me but i could read one lady's expression, she is neha's friends' granny.

"Ohhhoo!!! See her dress!! She has a kid and people are asking her about how the younger one is.. meaning she has two kids!! She is wearingJeans!!! owwwaa!!! What nonsense! what kind of things she would be teaching her child!! and look at her ID!! People who work there are all like that!! What else would they do with the money!!! OMG what her T-shirt says.. SPUNK is written on that..not sure what does that mean!!! But i have heard that its a bad slang word!!! "

I realised i was the only one wearing jeans and my bad i forgot to take off my id card. I hurriedly took it off and put in it my pocket.
    I could not take off my jeans though :p.

The final bell rang and all the parents rushed upstairs and as luck wold have it.. this granny and i were slowly climbing the stairs. There was little space to cimb fast. Imagine elder kids running down the stairs and parents of younger kids running up the stairs!! and this granny treated me like an untouchable. All thanks to my Levis jeans!! Finally i could reach neha's class.

Her teacher smiled at me and said "Arey its a surprise!! How come you came today!!"

"Neha wanted me to pick her up today". I smiled back.

"Oh she was all smiling and giggling when the bell rang and now I know the reason" Saying this she called neha near her and said "Dear for today its fine but mumma goes to work na dont trouble her again. If she has to come like this frequently she might end up working on weekends"

"Ok Miss" Neha assured. I was wondering if a teacher whose daughter is my colleague can be called a miss.. what should i be called. (I have a daughter who is jsut 4 yr old) :p :p

We came out of the class.. we jumped down 2 steps at a time. we ran in the ground to reach the school gate. We screamed its a weekend and we walked to our bike,(all the while i was searching if that granny would see me jumping running!!) Then she saw Raj and she was all smiles for him :)

We took her the Polar bear and bought her fav ice cream and then walked to the near by park.
    She finished her ice cream there and played for a while, we then went home.

As promised later in the evening, we all went out, bought some groceries and then went out for dinner.
    Some how i wanted to take my MIL out, poor lady she spends her entire time with kids and has no ME time for her. I work and atleast have some time during coffee/tea breaks at work. She cant even have a peaceful tea till my son sleeps.

After we came home, Neha was all happy!! Kissed us good night and slept, hugging her soft toy. :)

I am so happy that I could do this for her. Though this is a very small thing for me, i know it would remain a sweet memory for her.
    I dint want her to think that her mom does not have time for her. I wanted her to understand that if she really wishes for something badly her mom could do it at any cost and for her mom, Neha would be the highest priority (after her Dad though - you guys know am just so mad for him)
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
    6 people like this.
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shalu
    That perfect ending and you indeed achieved what you went out for...happy kids happy family... :)

1 person likes this.
  6. sbonigala

Thanks VjBunny.

I realised after i did this, i feel much better. Earlier i had some kind of guilt. now thats vanished for a while.
    I miss being with her when she comes back from school.. i miss playing with her inthe evenings.. and it hurts when i realize she is growing up real fast.

But i make sure i spend my full time with her when i am home..

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi...
    Thats really a catch twenty situation but I think you are doing fine dear dont worry now and then give her surprise she willknow you are there around her and feel happy... Do it at regular but at random intervals...

1 person likes this.
  8. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Thats very good understanding by your Daughter and Im happy to read this Shalu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Kids grow up so fast.... isnt it? I am glad she can understand what you tell her so well. Surely this will remain in her memory forever! So happy that it all ended on a happy happy note! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Shalu, you are blessed to have such an understanding, sensitive child and she is just as blessed to have you as a mom. :-D God bless all of you with a lot of happiness.

1 person likes this.