1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kid having problem in math.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ruchi2908, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ruchi2908

ruchi2908 New IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter is studying in 1st standard and she is having trouble in understanding math concepts and is lagging behind everyone in her standard. Can you please tell me if there are any tuition classes where they teach math basics or any material as I want her foundation to be strong in math.
    Please help.

2. vishuni

vishuni Silver IL'ite

The best solution for this is you/her Dad start teaching her.1st Math is not complicated at all.
    I feel this is not the correct age to make children to study all the time by sending them to tutions.

3. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Hey Ruchi let me tell you my own story. I was very scared of math, even now :) I have the nightmares that I have flunked my exam. For me the problem was once you explain me I will do all the sums but the problem was starting trouble. May be you ask your daughter if she is scared just relax her and try to find out a suitable tution teacher may be some students who are good at math can help her. Dont worry and try to convince her and tell her its not at all difficult.

1 person likes this.
  4. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear ruchi
    Indians attribute a lot of importance to math skills....being good at math is like being a super intellect. My mom is an Msc math and when I was at school I was kind off ok in math, but then my mom wanted speed, accuracy, perfection etc. all in one go....there was too much expectation pinned to this subject making it extremely stressful; and leaving me uneasy while solving math.....slowly I started distancing myself from this subject which caused so much of anxiety . To add to this I had a terribly strict math teacher who made learning a "bitter medicine". But then, by gr. 10 I had made up my mind; if I could excell in all the other subjects inclu. Physics why not math?.........I started doing things my way, I was the boss, I decided how I would do it and what speed to work on, I made a lot of mistakes initially, but I kept my parents, teachers out of it.......my speed and accuracy improved with regular practice......I did very well in the 10th board CBSE, offered math along with science in 12th and got an admission with a national scholarship to a professional college in India.
    It was a math-phobia which I had developed, over-expectation can make learning difficult and a pain...this is more true with math which needs absolute focus and interest.
    Make your child feel that math is just like any other subject.....make learning fun, print a lot of online worksheets for addition/sub, even/odd....there are a lot of online fun learning sites. Make him love what he,s doing.
    Mega

3 people like this.
  5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

First find out if it is a comprehension (understanding) need or a memory need. Tuitions don't teach a child...they are more for repetition to help with retention and recall...there are so many fun ways to teach the concepts at such a young age...see if youcan do those at home in your day to day activities.

2 people like this.
  6. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Hi Megalife,

My daughter has this phobia about math. Though she gets good marks, she is usually nervous on exam day. She studies on her own n wants to take up science later but Math just doesnt interest her. Wud be great if u could share with us how to get the child interested in the first place ?

love,
    Kylie

7. charvihema

charvihema Gold IL'ite

hai ruchi
    even my dd in first let her make practise books avalible in shops and try the link Woodlands Maths Zone - Fun interactive maths games
    make her basic maths with fun and play dont force her 100% always and dont compare with otherones let it be her in her nature :)
    regards
    hemalatha murali

8. RSilpa

RSilpa New IL'ite

Hi Ruchi,

I also faced same problem with my son. He was having trouble at studying math as he did not find it interesting enough. My friend suggested me to try some math material. Now he is picking up in math. You can see if this interests you,
    10on10 - The fun way to give kids the edge in math!!

Also try to spend some time with your daughter when she is studying and let her not feel to much pressure.

Regards
    Silpa

9. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy New IL'ite

My daughter used to struggle with math, too. She's got better now. This site beestar help us a lot. The math program is full of all real life world problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. She supports it. I think it is a nice and effective program for us.
    Lisa

10. ruchi2908

ruchi2908 New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for providing solutions to my queries. I'll surely try them and will let you know the outcome.

Regards
    Ruchi