Key Issues That You Are Voting On.

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Was "undecided" can mean many combinations. Undecided between Trump, Clinton? Undecided about options other than Trump? Undecided whether to vote or not?

My formula is rather simple, I vote Democrat unless there is a serious reason to vote for another candidate. On props/measures too, I have a formula of sorts.

Of the issues, in this election, I care about Supreme Court (the younger the nominated judge the more I care/worry), immigration, and the Second Amendment. Foreign policy and attacking countries willy-nilly are important too, but, somehow it doesn't touch me directly.

Immigration is the one issue where I cannot totally agree with the non-Republican ideas. I just don't get it. How can illegal immigrants get the right to drive, to emergency medical care, and access to public higher education.

Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Undecided because I didn't have a clear favorite. And I don't have a leaning for one party. President Obama made it easy to vote for him. This time it was different.

I sort of agree. They do pay taxes though.

Look here. Ungrateful? Standing on a podium in the US and calling on the POTUS. Made me wonder what my tax dollars are paying for.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Personally, I am pro-life. I think adults should be responsible and should not end up with unwanted pregnancy. However, I feel that Government shouldn't be mandating what a woman can or cannot do. It should be her, her family and her doctor's decision.

Personally, i don't understand LGBT lifestyle. But I think if people are in love and are committed, they should be given equal benefits and government shouldn't what lifestyle is acceptable and what is not.

On supreme court justices, I think the confirmation should be based on 2/3 majority rather than simple majority of the senate. This way we don't get partisan justices in the SCOTUS. I think there should be a retirement age for the supreme court justices.

Coming to this election, of all the elections I have watched, this has been the most entertaining election. The republican primaries were hilarious. SNL was hilarious as always. I didn't like the three presidential debates or the lone VP debate. I would have liked to see much more discussion on the issues and the plans of the candidates.

On the candidates, I think the media has been biased against Trump and Trump also didn't help himself and kept on dragging the stories himself. Hillary's use of personal email server and deleting thousands of emails is disturbing.

Overall, I like deadlock. President and Legislative from different parties. I also like the current deadlock in supreme court. This way we don't get extreme right or extreme left policies. Both the extremes are equally scary.

I will vote for Hillary, just because I want to see a woman president.

Laks09 likes this.
  4. Laks09

That's a different perspective. I always thought of how ineffective President Obama is because he doesn't have the senate backing him. Especially in the gun control issue, wish it had passed the senate. Tougher legislation isn't the end of the second ammendment but so many people think that way. But you are right in the sense that too much power is also not the right thing.

I was uneasy about the whole email saga and Benghazi too. I think Hillary didn't do herself any favors by beating around the bush. She isn't all that forthright and that's a quality that I admire the most.

Nice to see that. Saw a meme being circulated. Even Hillary has to compete against a man less qualified to do the job. Talk about women's rights!
    I hope just because she is a woman she doesn't have to work harder to get a democrat's vote. At the start of the whole process, I heard opinions from men and women who thought Hillary shouldn't get the democratic nomination because she was a woman.

5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

The NRA is too powerful and has very strong influence in both parties. Also, most of the people are in support of guns except probably Indians and Chinese. So even if any laws are passed, those will have enough loop holes. California has strict laws yet it is easy to buy firearms.

6. Laks09

Agree about the NRA. I've no idea about CA gun laws but tougher background checks, mental well being checks etc should be mandatory in every state.

Even I thought only Asians and Europeans were in support of tougher gun legislations but after my son's DX and making friends in the support groups all the gun owners are for tougher legislations to buy guns. They are all for banning assault rifles. They all agree with making it hard for the wrong people to buy guns. It's the politicians who use scare tactics and make statments like "She is taking your guns away" or "She is for risky late term abortions where babies are ripped apart from the womb in pieces" etc that scare people.

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

--> Second Ammendment
    Including strict laws for checking background checks and mental health issues of license holder, I think the license renewal (every 6 months, 1 year seems so much can happen by this much time) time also strictly they check again and again for eligibility to own a gun, and also what minimum is needed to protect oneself that might be allowed, not powerful guns where damage can be more. The way it is displayed in stores, is also not OK for me. It shouldn't be that easy to select and buy.

who ever is working (non-profits and churches which teaches non-violence as a community to grow in healthy environment , especially from very young age) in making neighborhoods safe, drug free , govt and police should be working with them to give assurance. that way I think people may feel they don't need to own a gun,

All are responsible, why chuckees cheese has to have the games like shooting with a gun toy and bullets (video games), instead chasing a target can be with images like bunny trying to catch the running carrots, score points that way, or something based on the age, if all feel responsible by next two generations may see change.

Overall, Hillary looked like she is working with govt,law, and with people from very young age and has experience with govt and politics, knows exactly what happens in the presidential office, knows dealing with foreign delegates, and also her big role in bill Clinton getting elected that time (as of CNN unfinished business program). Not because of woman, but because of her capability I am with her,
    If two were equally capable then as a woman I will lean towards her, but here it is not the case.

Trump can bully media, he may not tell what his plans, he may give lot of surprises.
    He says if I and putin get along well, then blah blah,
    it is not about you, right, as a president of this big and powerful country, you should be trying to work together in the interest of all people.
    Also basic integrity is checked for all jobs, highest post too needs more of it, as they are decision makers which impact all hugely.
    Billy bush resigned, because he is part of the talking, but who talked all that, may be did that too, what should be his responsibility. He said he didn;t even apologize his wife.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Viswamitra and Laks09 like this.
  8. Laks09

I'm not sure about all feeling responsible. In a place where hunting is considered a sport, where it's a rite of passage for a ten year old to go on a first hunt with dad and snitch a rabbit, take a pic, proud parents posting it on FB and others congratulating the huge achievement - it's going to take a lot to give up completely.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I don't care for either candidate so I'll vote for the lesser of two evils.

Here are the issues I care about this time:
    The economy
    The fight against terrorism
    Supreme Court appointments
    Privacy and cybersecurity
    Racism and criminal justice
    Gender discrimination
    Trade policy
    Foreign policy
    Health care
    Gun control
    Influence of special interests and corruption
    Environmental issues
    Immigration
    Social security

Additionally, some candidate attributes will influence my vote:
    Knowledge of what the job entails
    Stability and equanimity of the candidate
    Impression the candidate makes as a representative of our country

Trump's attitude toward women and racial minorities terrifies me. And I have no clue how he plans to achieve any of his objectives. The Russian connection worries me.
    Clinton's casual relationship with the truth terrifies me, too. I suspect she'd go to war relatively easily. On the plus side, I trust her with our nukes.

I like the system of checks and balances. We especially need it this time around.

For the very first time, the potential First Lady/Laddie will influence my vote. I'd love to see Bill Clinton back in the White House. I worry about Melania's connection to her country of origin — this is a biggie for me.

Bonus factor: I want to see Trump's hissy fit when he loses. :p

Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Executive and Legislative branches are created for the purposes of checks and balances in governing. As long as every representative and Senator thinks from the angle of issues addressed in each legislation and how it affects his/her constituents, the people are happy. That is how the legislative branch voted historically cutting across party lines. The stone-walling of all legislation to defeat the agenda of duly elected President started only after an African American President was elected. That is the height of racism demonstrated in this country. The speaker and other congressman openly admitted the purpose of stone-walling in clear terms shamelessly. That is when the President started making Executive Decisions for everything without obtaining approval from the Congress forcing them to review such decisions.

The President has the right to nominate the Supreme Court Judge and he nominated a compromise candidate for making the approval process easy. Not even allowing the nominee a hearing is against the principles of democracy. Every such representative and senator should be not only not elected but also legally deprived of congressional benefits.

There is nothing wrong in voting against a nomination or legislation but not even allowing such discussion in the congress is unacceptable formula. More than the party, each congressman should be made accountable for such act.

Viswa

Amica and Laks09 like this.