Kerala preparations

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by tsseethalakshmi, Feb 1, 2006.

1. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

about pappadam

Dear Vidya,
    Thank you for your response.We can share our experiances in this forum.
    For pappada vadai traditionaly the kerala pappadam made of from urud dall is used.As it is soaked in the batter it will not spread.Chakkai pappadam also will not spread.If it is made of ripe chakkai it will turned into red colour.Usually my children consume the chakki pappadamin raw form.They won't like deep fried chakkai pappadam.
    Chakkai pappadam made from ripe chakkai it will taste sweet,karam and salt.
    Marachinee papadam will expands doublethe size in hot oil.I am returning to India 26th of this month.I will try to post Kerala pappadam.I forgot the ratio of pappada Karam to be added with the urud dall as I am living lonely,variety of cooking is not there.Lots of pappadam is also available in the market.Whenever children are in home kerala pappadam is bought from shops.Only I make other items[kondadams achars etc.,] in these days.When my mother in law was withme I made kerala pappadam with reduced salt.Now I forgot the radio. Thanks a lot. seethalakshmi

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Chenda Murian

Hi Seetha madam,
    Thanks for the recipe... I think the chenda murian I am referring to is the one made with Nethrampazham...It is some what like the Chinese fried plantain..

Thanks,
    Lakshmi

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  3. tsseethalakshmi

;akshmi

Dear lakshmi,

I posted the nenthrambazha nurukku in the forum earlier.I think you mean it. If you have any idea or any further explanation kindly send mail.

seethalakshmi

4. tsseethalakshmi

valsun

Valsun coman item.
    Raw rice 1 cup
    soaked ground with coconut grated 1/2 coconut,one teaspoon ealakkai powder, salt one pinch,one cup chakkai varatti if more sweetness required add some vellam.It should be thick batter.Take full edana ilai [thej pattha] make cone inthe leaf and fill it with batter and incert the other end into the cone,Make all batter one by one.Approximately 10 nos, will come.Place them Idly plate and steam.Pleasant aroma of thej patha in the valsun very enjoyable.

It can be steamed in cooker also.Spread thej patha in the bottom of cooker seperator vessal and pore the batter,In the top spread edanai leaves and place the vessel in the cooker.The seperator vessal should be covered with the plate so as the water not go in the vessel and cook for 1/2 hour with wait.
    Remove from fire when cool cut the valsun into cubes and enjoy.

Variation: If edana leaf not available it can be rolled with plaitain leaf and steamed.
    Intead of grinding the raw rice,Rice powder or rava may be used.
    Poha may be included with the rice powder.
    If chakka varatti not available coconut grated,vellam, pinch salt,elakkai crushed and ripe babana crushed may be used.

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

hello

Dear Mrs Seetalakshmi,

It is nice to read valsan recipe, I always thought valsan is same as elaiadai. Now I know they r different.

Here is wishing you a safe trip back home.

If I come to Kerala soon, I hope to worship at the Kaavu in Muvattupuzha.

best regards
    Vidya

6. tsseethalakshmi

vidya

Thank you vidya,
    Perumbavoor is near Muvattupusha.Aproximately one hour journey.
    I invite you to Pbr.

seethalakshmi

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2006
  7. tsseethalakshmi

Avlose podi,urundai

Raw Rice 1 Kilo Most tastiest rise is redish raw rice[chemba batcharisi] soak it one hour and coursely powder it.
    grated coconut 4 nos.More tast from this proportion.at least two coconut is require.
    Mix the rice powder[ still wet powder this means soaked rice powdered is wet not dry this is ideal] with the coconut grated.Rubing the mixer well.Heai chinachatti and dry fry the rice powder mixer till it turned red colour.nice aroma will come.[red shenbaga boo clour is ideal] and store it.
    Whenever required take some powder add sugar or vellm add water or milk.mix well.
    eat immediately. very taste and stomch may fulled.If you have any fruit add with it.

Avlose podi ourundai.

one measure avlose podi 1/2 measure vellam.
    put vellam in water and put the vessal in fire.clean the vellam water removing the impurities.Boil the vellam water until one sting consistensy remove from fire.
    mix with the avlose podi.If vella paku is seems more add some podi and make oundai when is still hot dipping the hand with podi. and store.

8. tsseethalakshmi

chakkapazha thosai

palapazha season: plenty of chakka pazham available in kerala.
    Varieties of palakkai and palapazha preparation available.
    Palaphazha thosai is easiest and tasties item.

Palapazham 10 chulais.
    Raw rice 2 cup
    soaked for 2 hours.
    Coconut grated 1/2 coconut.
    vellam or gud 3/4 cup
    salt to taste
    Grid all the increadians and mix it well.The batter will be thosa consistancy.make thosa with ghee very tasty or gingily oil.

Best compination is mavadu arachukalakki.

Two or three vadumangai [oorukai]which must be more soft
    green chilli 2 or 3 according to once own taste
    coconut grated 1/2 moodi
    fresh curd [not soar]
    salt.
    curry leave.
    asafotida one pinch
    Grid all increadiants and seasoning it with mustard and one red chilli

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  9. tsseethalakshmi

kuzhai puttu, kadala curry

Kuzhai puttu,kadalai currry is famous break fast in kerala.

Soak raw rice two hour and courcely powder it.and fry it in hot cheenuchatti and store it.Nowadays puttu mavu is available in market.
    To prepare puttu mavu take puttu mavu in a vessel.Take luke wormwater put some salt and add with mavu little by little and rub the mavu with your hand.When the full mavu become wet but not too much If you took mavu full in your hand and close all your fingers it should become like kozhukattai but if you break it it should become mavu.This is ideal mavu kuzhaikkal.Keep it atleast one hour.
    grate one coconut.Take puttu kuzhal first put some grated coconut and fill the puttu mavu 1/2 kuzhal and fill some gratted coconut and fill the puttumavu full.in the top spreat the grated coconut and cover with it its lit and put it in the steam.Within five minites the steam will come from the puttu kuzhal and best aroma also will come.By this time you can understand that puttu is ready.Took the kuzhal and remove from the kuzhal. puttu is ready to eat.It should be consumed when it is hot.

Kadalakkari

Soak the kadalai over night and boil it until tender and keep aside.
    tomato two
    one inch ginger
    two chundakkai size tamarind
    Masala for fry
    coriander seeds 2 teaspoon[ fry them in one
    rad chilli 2 nos [teaspoon oil
    grated coconut 1/2cup fry it seperately in brown colour
    one big onion should be shown in the flame until the outer skin is burned black.Remolve the black skin cut into three or four pieces.
    Grind all increadieants with ginger and two chundakkai size tamarind, fine paste.If you want the gravy should be thick boiled kadalai one table spoon may be added with the masala and grind.
    Take a frying pan pore two teaspoon oil add musterd when it cracked add finly cut tomato saute until the tomato cooked add the masala when boiled add kaladai and salt.Boil it for two to three minutes so as to kadalai suck salt.
    Always the kadalai curry must be more gravy so as to add with puttu and mix well with the curry and eat.enjoy
    variation: The onion may be cut small pieces and fry with tomato instead of flame burned onion grinded.
    Perumbayaru,peas {pattany] green payaru also may be cooked and make curry like this.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  10. tsseethalakshmi

sarkkara varatti

Sarkkaravaratti is sweet nenthrambazha chips with vella pagu.It is speacial item in all celebration and festival's 'sathya' means kalyana chappadu or special meals

Nenthiran kai 12
    remove the skin , put them in turmeric water and cut it length wise half or quarter and cut it 2" pieces.
    deep fry cripsy keep aside.
    Vellam or sarkkara[in malayalam] at least half of the fried pieces
    Dry ginger powder 1 Table spoon
    fired and powdered cheera powder 1 tea spoon
    salt one pinch
    sugar 2 table spoon

In a pan put the vellam and water when vellam disolved remove all impurities and put the vellam water in the fire and stir well.When the vella pagu become one string level add the sugar and salt stir well,off the stove.Add the fried nenthram chips stir well.The vella bagu will coated well with all the chips.When your stirringgoing on add the powders and stir well until all the pagu is coated well with the chips.
    when chips cooled down remove from the vessal and store it.If you want you can add two table spoon sugar when you are stiring the chips still hot.The coated vella pagu with sugar cristals is beautiful to display.