1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Peace with Husband who always takes his parents side

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Worldtraveller, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Worldtraveller

Worldtraveller Junior IL'ite

My husband has always treated his parents as GOD...
    In the first year of our marriage, he would be so nice to his parents and not even talk or say hello to y parents...he would do small talks at times, which would tell me that he is insulting my parents and is praising his..
    It was the first year and I did not know my MIL by then...I was being nice to both families equally, but was very unhappy that my husband treats my parents crap even after my parents taking care of all the marriage expenditure, sending gifts for us, giving him royal treatments like Son inlaw etc

I started to resent after few months and wanted him to at-least show some respect in his talks towards my parents..Slowly I also started to see my MIL mean, manipulative nature and saw that she tries to control her son and is doing things to get money , emotional blackmail him etc etc...

That was just the starting..since then is a story and its been some 8 plus years and she hasn't stopped..last year it became worse as there were open lies on my face....

after few years of our marriage may be like 3-4 years, I started to burst..for how many years can I keep things inside me? I started to tell my husband some very manipulative things that my MIL does, her taunts, her deeds etc and every time there was a huge fight...i mean HUGE...he would not agree to anything and was ready to leave me...i really suffered a lot as I was made a bad person, I was told that he clearly hates me as a person ( during the fights), and would mentally torture me for days and days by showing his anger and his words...my husband is very good at talking when he needs to ..he would keep getting angry and blaming me for days and days together,,,and that happens till date...

clearly he takes his parents side over me and his mom does things to irritate me, moreover its very obvious that she does not care about our money but all she cares is my SIL..it makes me very sad that she treats my married SIL like a family and us as a separate family when it comes to doing things for us.., but when it comes to us doing things for them, then she is family mother of my husband and demand respect ...

Till date I have never back answered my MIL even once...all my anger is kept inside and I show here respect or may be because my parents taught me to not answer back elders

My Question: Ho do i still love my husband who sides with my only enemy in this world, the only person in the world that i do not like . I know he is the son, but being a husband if he would have just accepted to listen to me , it would have made things easy...i know its not easy to listen anything against parents, but that not my fault if his parents are being wrong and are not being nice to me or my husband ( he ignores that ) or our kid...

Sometimes, I try to ignore and sometimes I just cannot and when I tell him its a fight and If i do not I hate him for taking their sides...

How do i have peace with this..I look at him and remember all the bad things he tells me when i complain about my MIL ..i hate that he take their side or support their wrong deeds over me...

Any solution on how to ignore my husband nature ??? and still love him..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

2. Goodgod

Goodgod IL Hall of Fame

I can understand your situation !
    Try to spend little more minutes in the bathroom say especially while bathing it will relax you and you will feel strong. It may sound silly but you can take your phone and browse You tube if you can and want to . Some do not like then try giving little more time with water in the shower. It may sound funny but you will realize slowly.

during these kinds of in-law problems we lose ourselves so the above remedy.
    I am being very frank ..............in- law problems can never be solved ....................you have to go numb and not try to prove who is right and who is wrong and carry things to your husband .............which is ultimately messing you and your husbands time together.

Men have very little brain and they can understand nothing..... my experience taught me this truth.......so why waste your time with topics that he can never understand. just stay quite I know it is very very tough but will gain good fruits at least after they leave , for in side his heart your husband will appreciate your patience .

hope this helped. stay strong

1 person likes this.
  3. samal

samal Silver IL'ite

Hello Wordtraveller,
    You have posted what I wanted to discuss. Even I am undergoing the same situation, But not worse as yours. Good things - we are not with my inlaws now, living outside. No SIL, but BIL.
    Most Indian men are like your husband. They will not compromise their parents for wife. He knows very well his mother is creating drama, still they protect her, if you confront. They will say you always misunderstand things. Better to ignore or we will be projected with all negative characters. If she is irritating you, you irritate her.
    Please understand daughter and daughter in law are not same. We cannot expect same treatment as ur SIL gets. So don’t compare and get disappointed. It is an unsaid rule in Indian family to treat daughter son in law and their kid with priority in all aspects.
    The best lesson for husbands who ill-treat wife’s parent is to do the same to his parents. For that we need courage and should be bold enough to face the consequences. If not then we need to stay quite, do not bother them either.
    Finally, I do not have answer for ur question. All I can say is you are not alone…..
    May be you love him becoz, he is the father of your child.

1 person likes this.
  4. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  5. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Silver IL'ite

Dear world traveller,
    i am going trough the same phase..even worse,worse phase...trust me..it won't work if you complain against them...u r doing good by being patient & silent..

i did that mistake & now facing consequences..try to divert ur mind...that's all you can do..indian dil is very unfortunate...

6. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

I am facing the same problem. Dont know how to solve it. .. I spoke to my DH and now the whole thing is in a mess. I am unable to keep quiet either.. Started hating him to the core... I have stopped talking to him.. and its been a month since i spoke a word... Dont know where it is going to end .. I am worried...

7. Bavishya

Bavishya Platinum IL'ite

I can just say that keep quiet,don't interfear in mils issues.just leave ur hubby and mil in seperate world.
    Stay strong,don't let them know ur tears.
    common think abt ur self enjoy it happily.