Karnataka Recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by rehanak, Aug 20, 2005.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hello Leo!

Leo, thanks for your feedback on gojju. Try the holige and get back to me.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Prathi,
    Prepared your Yennegai and Soppu tovve. We loved the soppu preperation. Yennegai was also very good and they made a good combination. I did not add that many green chillies for the masala of tovve and I guess I could have reduced the tamarind in yennegai. But all in all, the flavor of Karnataka was distinct!! Thank you. Just wanted to give you a feedback. Besides, I regularly prepare your vangibath masala powder and use it on various vegetable preperations too.

3. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kamla

Good to hear form u Kamla. Soppu tovve will be god. Level of spiciness is again acording to personal tastes. Tamarind for yennegaayi may be u can decrease the next time. Some tamarind are more sour and it again depends how much sour u like it to be. I think all recipes can be adjusted to personal desires and tastes with a couple of trials. vangeebaath powder is very useful.

Thanks again for ur feed back.

Take care.

4. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Avalakki Vaggarane (aval/poha/beaten rice) -

Thick Poha - 3 cups
    Onion - 3 medium, chopped finely
    Tomato - 1, chopped finely
    Green Chillies - 8 to 10 (adjust the level of spiciness as desired)
    Corriander leaves to granish - chopped
    water
    salt

For vaggarane/seasoning

OIl - 1 1/2 to 2 table spoons (doesn't absorb as much oil as upma)
    mustard - 1 tsp
    gram dal
    urad dal - 2 tsp each
    groundnuts - 1 table spoon (a must, as it gives a great flavour)
    Curry leaves - a sprig
    turmeric - 1/4 tsp

• Wash the poha well and drain. Take this in a wide-mouthed basin and soak in water so that the water just floats 1 cm above the poha (for thick poha only. If u use thin poha just wash and keep aside, sprinkling very little water, else it becomes very soggy).
    • While the poha is getting soaked, chop the onions, chillies and tomatoes.
    • In a kadai, heat the oil. Splutter mustard and add the gram dal and urad dal. When they start turning golden, add the groundnuts and saute for half a minute.
    • Now, add the curry leaves and tumeric. After few seconds, add chopped onions and green chillies in succession.
    • Add the tomatoes once the onion turns transparent.
    • Cook this for two minutes or till the tomato becomes softer.
    • Add the soaked poha and mix well.
    • Add salt and a tsp of sugar (optional) and close the kadai and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium heat.
    • Check the taste and check if the poha is done. If very dry u can sprinkle some water n cook for a few more minutes.
    • Garnish with corriander and server hot.
    Variation
    One can omit the onions and tomatoes and use grated fresh coconut instead, for a different taste. When cooked this way, add the juice of a lemon in the end, to give a tangy touch.

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

feedback

prathi,

made akki roti by yr recipe and it came out very well. My husband liked it more than I did. As Tamil/Malayalam natives, we do not usually make akki roti. So it was a good change and hope to try it again.

rgds
    Vidya

It is great that u have been posting such good Karnatake recipes. Yr thread deserves the stars.

6. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hello Vidya!

Dear Vidya,

Thanks for your feedback. Akki rotti is an eternal favourite in all kannada homes Glad u and ur hubby enjoyed it.

BTW thanks for ur compliments I am just posting what i cook at home on a regular basis. Thanks again, Vidya

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  7. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Goddu Huli

This is a kind of huli which does not use dal. Goes well with rice and chapathi Vegetables used individually are - chayote squash (seeme badnekaayi/ chow chow), Brinjal, Cucumber. Peel the skin if u r using squashes or cucumber.

Ingredients

Moderately chopped vegetables - 1/2 kg
    Green chillies - 2 to 3
    Saarina pudi or u can use sambar powder - 2 teaspoons (or to taste)
    Gram flour or besan - 1 table spoon (fresh)
    Curds/yoghurt - 2 table spoons
    Tamarind extract - from 1 small lemon sized ball
    Jaggery - 1 teaspoon
    Grated coconut - 1 table spoon or less (optional)
    water - 3 to 4 cups(the consistency will be little thinner than sambar, before adding the besan)

Seasoning

cooking oil - 1 table spoon
    mustard - 1 tsp
    gram dal - 2 tsp
    urad dal - 1 tsp
    hing - a pinch
    curry leaves - a sprig
    corriander to garnish

Method
    • Heat the oil in a kadai and add all the seasoning.
    • Then, add the green chillies and the chopped vegetables and cook on medium heat covering the kadai. Don't add water at this stage.
    • When the veg gets soft, add water, salt, saarina pudi, jaggery and boil well till the raw smell of the masala subsides.
    • Add the tamarind juice. If the curd u r using is sour, reduce the tamarind a little.
    • Let it boil for 5 minutes.
    • Mix the besan in the curds and add this to the kadai and cook well till the raw smell of the besan disappears. The huli should reach a gravy consistency.
    • Garnish with grated coconut and corriander. Serve hot with rice or chapathi

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  8. Leo

Leo New IL'ite

Chutney pudi was great

Dear Prathi,

I tried the bele chutney pudi and it came out well. Could you tell me the way to make groundnut chutney pudi and putani chutney pudi as well. Take ur time to post.

Regards,
    Leo

9. Leo

Leo New IL'ite

Goddu Huli

Dear Prathi,

Tried the Goddu Huli with seeme badnekaayi. It tasted great. However I have a doubt: Should the Huli be thick or a bit watery. Probably I added more water it has come out like huli consistensy. I am eating this for the first time so wanted to know is this dish watery like huli or more thick like a gravy. The taste was great but needed this clarification.

Regards,
    Leo

10. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Hello Leo!

Hi Leo,

I am happy both chuntey powder and goddu huli came out well.

Hurigadle (fried gram) chutney powder, shall post it shortly. Groundnut powder i am yet to try. Once i try i shall post the same.

AS far as goddu huli is concerned, if u r mixing with rice let it be of huli consistency only. U can make it like thick gravy with less water for chapathi. That would be better. Usually, i adopt this method.