1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kannagi is my name

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

My dear dear AC,

Superb narration.You have brought a legend of 2000years ago to life again for us here.
    The immortal epic "Sillapadikaram" by Illango Adigal belonging to the Sangam Age ( so I discovered when my bosom pal Google enlightned me!) is an all time favourite with all of our tribe I should like to think as Kannagi is a true embodiment of righteous wrath and also an incarnation of a supremely chaste woman.
    You have given a beautifully new dimension to this fascinating story of an innocent woman wronged so unjustly. First it is her husband whom she doted on who betrays her and next fate played a cruel trick on her even though she as a devoted wife accepted her erring husband back after all those years of philandering.Where is justice we are forced to ask? The dictum 'As you sow ,shall you reap ' did not hold good in Kannagis life .
    The first person narration style you have adopted adds to the grip the story has on the reader......Move over 'AMAR CHITRA KATHA' ...We want AC hereafter!!
    This is agreat idea dear to present age old classics in your own unique style.
    The train of thought took me to those ancient years when the author penned this
    story of a wife's devotion .......would he have ever imagined that today in the 21st century women folk sitting in different continents of the globe speaking different languages at home yet communicating in an alien language would be discussing Kannagi whose admirers are legion?.......and that too through a strange contraption called the computer and the INTERNET with somebody called Mr Google who has preserved his magnum opus " SILLAPADIKARAM" for posterity till the sun stops shining and the stars stop twinkling!!
    Great work AC !:cheers:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

sindmani likes this.
  2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you PS for your kind words of motivation:)

3. Anandchitra

Paulina
    Your words of appreciation and description of Silapathikaram far surpasses what I write.. It is interesting to read about these great literary works and write about them too.. Glad you liked it.:)

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

AC

Excellent narration. The pictures have enhanced the narration. I remember vaguely reading about the temple for Kannagi in Kerala. Good to know the information.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi AC,

You should have taken up a job of script writer, every day, you get new ideas, Kudos for that first. Now loud applause for choosing a topic which should be close to the heart of many women of today, where extra martial affair is "In" thing.

Well, I cannot relate to Kannagi (hope I have spelt it correct), for me it would be "Turn your back DH and take this - one large kick on his B**t and good bye". I value myself more than anything else in this world. If he can stray once, he can stray again. When a woman strays she is never invited back, her love is treated as lust and she is also declared "Characterless" by the society. When a man strays, he returns with his chin touching the floor begging for forgiveness. His act makes him a saviour and he earns a place back in the heart of his woman and the society too. He walks in the same society with his head held high!

I do not relate to such sacrifices, though I admire that lady who really went ahead and did it. Honestly, after the patch up, everytime the guy comes closer to the woman, the thought of his being dishonest will cross her mind and surely NOT HIS!

You are my Dals AC, tell me, from where do you get the ideas to write so many stories!!

sindmani likes this.
  6. Anandchitra

Thanks Usha
    That information about the kerala temple was provided to me by Vidya24 for which I am thankful. I was not at all aware of it.

7. Anandchitra

Mals
    You are writing exactly as you think which is so refreshing to read:)

I do not have to search far for great stories.. they all exist in our own backyard so to speak.

I feel if presented this way there is a chance to read and enjoy. And by doing research I am able to enjoy reading more on all these great topics.

When I write on religious topics I am able to relive the character like that of Andal or Prahlad and for those moments enter the world of fiction and imagine I am also a great devotee of Lord.

Is it not a dream to be reborn as a blade of grass so the Lord's feet would touch the grass
    ... so the search for stories

Thanks for the appreication:)

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra

Your narration of the story is superb as usual. You havea way of
    writing and we enjoy reading it.

with love

viji

9. Anandchitra

Glad you liked it Viji

The story of Kannagi is quite important to Tamil literature I think.

10. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Wonderful narration of silapathikaram .. schooldays studies ninavu padutinathukku mikka nanri.