Kanchipuram Sarees :-- need info

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by Meenags, Jun 5, 2009.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Red apple, yes near co optex near the bridge in pantheon road.

we always buy in kanchi or the stores in egmore, my mom always says nalli is not the real kanchi but similar and fancy pattu. also they say kanchi pattu sarees has real gold/silver jari border and we can sell it back to them later when saree becomes old.
    my mom recently sold her old pattu saree zari border and got some new sarees in kanchipuram.

now a days u get so much variety in kanchi/egmore itself, like light wt, embroidery work, stone work etc. but i have not checked nalli/kumuran in the last few yrs so dont know abt it.

2. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Thanks vijaya1961...your reply was very detailed with the phone numbers...of course you are on time.

Charral thanks for the feedback. I was very confused to decide abt these societies...bt now made up my mind...for sure my mom will buy in Murugan society.

I will share with you next week abt my mom's shopping experience...

Thanks ILs

3. DancingDolphin

DancingDolphin New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Just one more query ( i m sure thats not the last one till i end my shopping!!) .....

Is is worth to go for shopping in Kancipuram for 10-15 sarees?

Since I am a northie and do not know much about chennai stores either except the info i have gathered from IL posts. So my chennai shopping venture would be as like kancipuram shopping venture... however i am concerned... would it be worth to go to kanchi monetary wise or we carry on with our plans to shop in T nagar.

please suggest.

Regards,
    Maneka

4. vasoo

vasoo New IL'ite

hey everyone ive gotten two girls married and most of thier shopping for kanchi pattu sarees have been from Srinivasa silks in Mylapore just opposite the mylai station..i can gaurantee you they are good quality and they have traditional as well as modern patterns .

5. Vijaya1961

Vijaya1961 New IL'ite

All the shops have fixed price and you can't bargain in any of these shops.In the Society you get discount as announced by the government.You may get 10% +Rs.200 or so.

Bye

Vijaya

6. Lakshmi4017

Lakshmi4017 New IL'ite

I have purchased lot of silk sarees in kanchipuram. For best kanchipuram silk sarees with quality purity and variety madheswaran silk saree shop is always a best one among all stores.

Sri Madheswaran Silk Saree Shop
    22, New Vasantham Nagar, Near Santhaleswarar Temple, Behind Pachaiyappa's Womens College, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu 631501