Kanchipuram Pattu saree without zari (casual saree)

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by mala76, Jun 26, 2012.

1. mala76

mala76 Senior IL'ite

Hi there,

I have read a lot about kamchipuram sarees. I notice that many suggested Prakash & Babu Shah at Kanchipuram to get the sarees.
    I dont haave any experiance in buying kanchi pattu but always amazed by the quality & colour.

I prefer to buy few kanchipuram sarees without zari (guess the gold thread) or with minimum zari. Am going to kanchipuram soon. Also not good at bargaining.

1)Please advice the fix price shops.
    2) Do they have Nalli or Pothys in Kanchipuram cause heard that they dont cheat on kanchipuram sarees. Is it true?
    3) How much normally the origanal kanchi pattu without zari or min zari will cost normally.?

I might have 2-3 hrs for shopping max in Kanchipuram. All your opinion & suggestion will be helpfull. Thanks.

2. goodluk

goodluk New IL'ite

hi.. according to me there's no cheating in kancheepuram they'll provide a pure zari sarees only... you can buy it from any merchant exclusively in kancheepuram.. ranges from Rs.3000 is best...

3. mala76

mala76 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for ure feedback.
    Am glad if I can buy anywhere...to my understanding zari is the sarigai/zarigai in the saree right?....I can get kanchi pattu without zarigai (thread)? This is bcz my mum prefers pure kanchi pattu possibly withour zari.Pls correct me if wrong.
    Do i also need to specify to ask kanchipuram pattu saree? since they must be selling other silk sarees too....

Thanks again.

4. yasminfathima

yasminfathima Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mala,

You can get the saree without zari. It will look plain. no designs in it. It costs 200rs per meter. People who wants to design it will get that kind.

-Yasmin

5. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I am from weaving background so just thought of giving you some details about kanchi silk saree. kanchi silk saree is made of pure silk + pure zari (it is actually silver thread coated with gold). The saree is woven using 3 silk threads and is heavy due to this. saree weight can go up to 2 kgs if zari is more.This is what a traditional kanchi saree is. resale value of this saree even if it is torn is high because of the zari.
    These days meaning of kanchi saree has changed because of the private silk house owners in kanchipuram and large cloth merchants like pothy's,nalli,kumaran etc. There are 3 types available now:
    1. pure silk + pure zari => original kanchi saree. even a simple bordered saree would cost 6000 and above.
    2.pure silk + textile/half fine zari => These are what now available prevalently everywhere as they have very attractive designs,colors and light weight. starts from as low as 1500.
    3.not pure silk(polyester mixed) + pure zari => This will look like traditional saree but less weight and low cost, starts from 2500. => It is possible that we can have pure silk also here, but their weight would be less than that of type 1 as they would have used single silk thread to weave the saree.

So when you go to a shop and ask for silk saree they might give you type 2 or 3. If you want 1 you have to specifically ask for pure zari. Shops associated with a society will normally be selling type 1 saree the most. Some shops to name in kanchipuram are Kanchipuram cooperative silk society, thiruvalluvar silk society, arignar anna silk society etc. Even in kanchipuram you can get cheated. You said you need light weight sarees, so you can go for option no 2. Shops you mentioned in kanchipuram sell type 2 sarees mostly. Plain pure silk cloth is also available. will cost around 400 - 600 per meter.

In nalli,kumaran,pothys if you have a look at the saree bill tag you can see words like half fine, textile zari,HF etc which indicate that they are not pure zari.
    Hope this information is useful.

I am a proud owner of dozen pure silk sarees. I don't like to wear sarees but when I wear a kanchipuram saree I feel so proud as I belong to weaving family.

6. mala76

mala76 Senior IL'ite

Hi Fren,

U're information surely very helpful. These are the details i was looking for. Am sure it will be usefull for many othr members.Thanks for ure time.

Guess I do prefer option 2. pure silk with half zari.
    1)Was just wondering, do I need to ask spesifically stating that i wants pure silk with half zari. Am afraid they will show me type 3 and mentioned for type 2.
    2) Is there any way, is the label from othr shops also will indicate what type saree is that?
    3) Do you know any othr fix priced shop in Kanchipuram othr than Babu sah.

Really happy and glad for your information. Have a gud day ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Of all the 3 options, 2 is cheapest, so chances are very less that they will show you option 3 as option 2. I have seen these labelling in chennai shops but not sure about kanchipuram shops as I have been only to shops I mentioned above to get option 1 sarees. But general belief among kanchi people is that, babu shah, prakash silks etc have more of option 2. option 3 => It is not that this type of sarees are not silk sarees, they will just have a least percent of mix. It is very difficult to differentiate this and option 1.

8. mala76

mala76 Senior IL'ite

Hi frens,

Ok tks again. I checked out some of the online Pothys pattu collections...They have samudrika, parambara, vathskala, vasundra....Is all these Kanchipuram Pattu also?

What is tested zari?

Please enlight me...Zari means zarigai right? The gold thread on the designs, border & pallu?

9. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

Tested zari is not pure zari. That means there is no guarantee for the zari. It might turn black after some time.Most of the sarees available are of this type and the price range is affordable. Pure silk sarees with pure zari cost more.

10. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

there is a village called siruvanthadu(near villupuram) you will get one jari pattu saree at the reasonable price. we

bought around 20 sarees for marriage.

if you want variety,check palam silks in t nagar. nalli is the best.