Kamal Hassan -smriti Irani..debate

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Dec 24, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

did you guys watch that?
    Opinions pls..
    KH was roasted!!

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Yeah I did watch that. Now I didn't like the way smrithi spoke. Because Kamal didn't raise his voice and had less to speak he was roasted.. I personally don't believe that secularism is proved when we get up for a national anthem in theaters. I mean her point is not even valid when she says Hindu Muslim Christian all are coming together and stand for an anthem . And I don't get goosebumps at all. Yes I used to get when I was in school ,when we celebrated independence day republic day etc . I get goosebumps when I see our national anthem when India wins a medal in a large platform like Olympics , Asian Games etc. Not at all in a theatre. Because I don't go there for celebrating my patriotism but to have entertainment.
    Now I wonder why Kammal didn't put these points and what he was thinking to get roasted there .

3. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

+1
    I felt it was a debate between experience and inexperience. Kamal looked like he is still learning the tricks of the trade while Smriti is a veteran and has been through campaigning earlier plus she is a Minister so the power of being in Govt too added to her confidence. Content wise I simply felt Kamal was given some guidance or notes and he wanted to stick to those. Because he is relatively new to politics, he has to depend and follow the guidance lest he does a mistake which might prove costly for him. So he knowingly chose to be on the cautious side is what I felt. Biggest giveaway was him being there with his hands crossed across his chest which was a clear signal that he didn't want to open-up and was speaking less, intentionally.

anika987 and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is there a shorter version available with only highlights? This youtube link is 1.5 hrs long.

Was the "national anthem in theaters" the main part of the debate or just one small part?

anika987 likes this.
  5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

KH was not prepared. I wondered why he even appeared if he was not ready to debate or talk. I just loved Smriti specially when she was very vocal about her views.

@Rihana National anthem was just a part of the debate...the entire debate covered a range of topics and for all of them Mr KH was either quite, trying to defend himself and say how he agrees or follows what is right, was clueless at times for certain topics!

From the time i was born, i have been listening to people talk about terrorism as teeviravadhi...now this guy when asked why he termed certain people as teeviravadhi or terrorist, he is telling that he didnt refer them as terrorist but extremist, since terrorist means bayangaravadhi while extremist means teeviravadhi. Yes, he is right grammatically but what about the word being in relevance in today's times? since not many people know the subtle difference between the two. for the layman teeviravadham is still terrorism!

For once, i was embarrassed to watch him on a national debate being tongue tied! if he is afraid to ruffle feathers, then how is he going to fight for justice when the time really comes! What was his intention behind setting up a political party if he is afraid to talk what his ideals are and why not stand behind what he said or tweeted?

Roopamanju, Rihana, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  6. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

The video I received in whatsapp was 4.5 mins Let me see if I can share here .

Rihana likes this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 ,

I saw the WhatsApp version.

I am not appreciative of KH and his political ramblings. He would have been better off had he restricted himself to his creative self. Politics is an altogether different game that requires coherent thoughts and a vast knowledge of relevant national issues.

Smriti Irani is an excellent orator and she is fairly well versed in politics too.

There is a lot of argument everywhere regarding the National Anthem in theatres. Even though I personally feel it inconvenient to get up for the anthem, I have observed that it does act as a gentle reminder and makes me feel proud. I wish this system stays.

anika987 likes this.
  8. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

This was the forwarded clip I watched. Had no idea it was a 1.5 hrs long debate, till you mentioned:

Rihana, Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

She may be good orator and debater but most of the time she is into theatrics and very well versed in rattling off lies ... so a political novice like KH could have been off guard .

Ultimately debating skills Or oratory skills can take you only so far ....if KH manages to connect to people he will be successful in long term

anika987 and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Totally agree. I don't go to theater to celebrate or share patriotism.

Goosebumps when India wins game against Aus, Pak, or a female sportstar makes India proud, or even maybe when watching a well-made patriotic movie like Raazi, or even a poorly made one like Pokharan. But, forcing national anthem down our ears before every movie willy-nilly, vigilantes in audience beating up those who don't stand up for it, is not at all welcome.

Smriti Irani is a veteran politician.

Many years ago, I used to volunteer in a 1st grade classroom in the U.S. Children used to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning, right hand over the heart. One child was not doing it. I tried gently signalling to her. Teacher took me aside and quietly said that the child's personal beliefs prohibited showing allegiance etc in that manner. Child seemed to be of Oriental origin (Korean most likely). Later that year, I presented about Diwali to the class, children did activities like rangoli drawing with chalk etc. Around Chinese New year, that was celebrated. Nice to do it gently like this.

anika987 and Anusha2917 like this.