1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kallaik Kandaal Nayaik Kanom; ...........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear All,
    Greetings of the season!
    Many of you may be knowing the true import of the old popular sayings that I try to analyse In this forum. Still, for the benefit of others, who may not be that well versed, I propose to post them. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome in the interest of IL collective.

"Kallaik kandal Nayaik Kanom; Nayaik kandal Kallaik kanom" - (KKNK...)
    Literally, this means that ' when you see a stone, you don't see a dog (to throw the stone at) and vice versa'. At the outset, this proverb sounds like an encouragement to attack unsuspecting dogs, with available stones. SPCA activists do have every right to frown.

In common parlance, KKNK.. is uttered when one is in possession of only a part of what is needed and the action / task remains incomplete for want of the corresponding part. For eg. when one wants to write something urgently, has a pen ready but fails to find a blank paper or vice versa, he/she would not be wrong if he/she expresses his / her frustration as "KKNK..... ."

Decades ago, under similar situations, one of my friends happened to utter 'KKNK'.
    This remark angered another friend, an animal lover, present. He retorted saying " Why only a poor dog? Why not stoning an incensitive man like you?".
    Luckily, I was around and could diffuse the situation by explaining the real meaning of the saying with the following story.

There was a great sculptor who once had an exhibition of his works. Amongst the sculptures on display, there was one modern art figurine that stood prominently at the centre. Some visitors looked at it and said that it was a plain stone cut in a haphazard form. For some art enthusiasts it appeared differently. They remarked that it was a fantastic piece of work depicting a crouching dog.

The exhibit looked as a plain cut stone, for those who looked at it as such - an unfinshed piece of art. However, for the lover of modern art, the same piece appeared like a dog - a finished work of art. Both are right. As the saying goes 'KKNK; NKKK'.

Thus one meaning of the proverb is "Communication is perception. "

The other meaning, with a spiritual undertone, is that the one who looks superficially, fails to go deeper to understand the truth that is hidden. Only a seeker gets to realise the truth.

Trust the animal lovers could breath a bit easy now.

Anbudan,
    Rrg