Kadala Paruppu Payasam

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by frozen1, May 10, 2016.

1. frozen1

frozen1 New IL'ite

Ingredients:

Chenna Dhal - 1/2 cup
    Moong Dhal - 1/4 cup
    jaggery - a lemon sized
    coconut or coconut milk - 1/4 cup
    Cardamom - 2
    Cashews - 3 -4
    Almonds- 3 -4
    Ghee - 2 tsp
    Water - as required to cook dhal

Method:

1. Heat 1 tsp of Ghee in a pan and roast the almonds and cashews.
    2. Keep them beside.
    3. In the same pan, fry both chenna dhal and moon dhal separately until the raw smell flies off.
    4. Transfer to a cooker and add required water. Cook for 5 whistles.
    5. Meanwhile, heat jaggery in 1/4 cup water until it melts and becomes little sticky and strain it to remove any mud or dust in it.
    6. Grind coconut with little water and extract coconut milk from it. (I prefer coconut milk because I don't like the shredded coconut pieces to distract me enjoying the sweet. You can also add the ground coconut paste in it.)
    7. Once the pressure is off, open the cooker and mash the dhal with a masher.
    8. Add the jaggery syrup. Stir well.
    9. Once it become thick, Add Coconut milk.
    10. Once you start to see the bubbles, add crushed cardamom, fried nuts and switch off the flame.
    11. Serve hot.

Notes:

1. Moong dhal is completely optional. I have gone through some recipes without moong dhal also, which also looked great.
    2. The dhal should cook really well, that you can mash them into course paste.
    3. I used to do all these process in the same pressure cooker, starting from the first step. If you are uncomfortable in pressure cooker, you can transfer the dhal after mashing, to a wide pan.
    4. Frying the dhal will get rid off the raw smell in it.
    5. Don't let the payasam to cook more after adding the coconut milk.
    Try this and let me know your feedback in the comments section.

Recipe Courtesy: Paruppu Payasam | Paruppu Pradhaman | Kadala paruppu payasam | Kerala recipe