Kabuli channa- gravy

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by depressed, Feb 10, 2009.

1. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

View attachment 129797

Ingredients:

Kabuli Chana/ Big sized chana [1 cup]-[As seen in the picture above]
    2 medium sized Onions -chopped
    Fresh or canned ginger garlic paste [2 teaspoon]
    1 green chili-chopped/paste
    AMUL CREAM or any fresh cream [ 2-3 tablespoon]
    Refined Oil/any oil
    A few Cumin seeds [whole]
    5 small Crushed cardamom seeds
    Fresh and chopped coriander leaves- 1 teaspoon [optional]
    Salt [according to taste]
    Sugar [a pinch]

Boil the chana in a pressure cooker with half teaspoon salt. 2 whistles is o.k.
    In a pan, heat oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the whole cumin seeds. Add the boiled Kabuli Chana immediately. Fry for a few minutes. Add chopped onions. Mix properly. Add the ginger-garlic-chili paste. Mix properly. Keep on frying for 2 minutes. Add the crushed cardamom seeds. Add the chopped coriander. Add the cream. Mix again. add a pinch of sugar. Check the salt content. Add more salt if necessary. Add water. [ DO NOT add too much water. Half tea cup of water is o.k. We are making thick gravy not a stew, remember.] Mix thoroughly.Put the gas flame to the lowest point [in SIM mode] and cover the dish. When the Channa is cooked and totally boiled in the gravy, your dish is ready. Check the salt content and sugar content again before removing from heat.

Serve with chapatis, rice or bread.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Happy

Thanks ya, I will try it out. Is there no need to add the chole masala powder.....? just my small doubt ya....

Then happy !!!!!!..... my coriander has shown their first leaves.....I am so happy !!!!!!! watching it several times daily...i think my maid will be wondering what is the need to be so excited....but I am.... !!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the tips.....i have asked my friends here to follow the same...

bye ya

check mail ....

-love
    sunitha

3. Sumathii

Sumathii New IL'ite

For sure...looks like a great recipe..will try. Hey you take snaps very well.just like some professional. How do you manage to do that?

4. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sunitha,

How are you ? I have mailed you on 6th February [stating that I have watched slumdog millionaire]. Have you received the mail ? I will change my email i.d. to gmail because I am not sure whether you are receiving mails from my present i.d. Please let me know.

Anyway, there is no need to add chana masala in this recipe. It tastes good and unique without the chana masala. But if you want to add the masala and experiment with the dish, you may try.

Take care,

HAPPY

5. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sumathi,

Thanks for your compliment. I do not know how my photos come out so well. I am a very creative person. I am also an artist [ Not a professional one, I paint in my leisure time.]. And maybe because I am creative and I paint, I have a good creative sense and a good aesthetic sense. That is why, I can take good photographs, I think. But I am simply learning photography. I am not an expert at all. Photography is one of my serious hobbies.

Thanks,

HAPPY

6. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Happy dear, once again, lovely photograph!
    You are AWESOME!!

And for the dish, why sugar? Will it taste sweet? I like my gravies hot.. And is there a substitute that can be used for cream?

7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Happy,
    Even the picture is mouth watering. TQ,keep posting more recipes.
    Jaya

8. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Hai happy !!!!!

Sorry I did not receive that mail of yours. Do resend that mail....

I did not know about your painting talent....do please post your work here in IL.....waiting to see them. I have done a few glass paintings and fairly good.

I think you are yet to disclose many other talents of yours.......

love u
    -sunitha

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Happy
    I had your recipe for dinner tonight and it was yummy! Thanks for posting.

Keep up the photography...you do a great job!

Tina

10. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Dhivya,

Thanks for your visit.

I have mentioned about a PINCH of sugar [not much] to balance the taste in case the cream is sour. You may avoid sugar if you do not like it. Instead of cream, you may use sweet or sour Dahi/Curd, or you may use whole fresh milk. These ingredients will also make the dish tasty.

Again if you like it hot, you may add more green chillies or hot tomato sauce before adding the cream/milk/curd.

Thanks,
    Happy

Dear Jaya,

Thank you very much for liking my recipe. I will post more recipes soon.

Love,
    HAPPY

Dear Sunitha,

How are you ? I have sent you a mail from my new gmail i.d. Do check it. [and send mails to this NEW i.d. only].
    Sunitha, long back, I had posted you a comment on your painting post/blog. But it was written " it will be approved only after moderation" or something like that. Anyway, I am very happy to have found a fellow art lover in you.

I paint during my spare time. I used to paint a lot when I was in college. But I do it now once in a month. My favourite Artist is VINCENT VAN GOGH. I love his paintings.

And I will get back to your glass painting soon. I will also post some of my paintings here.

Love,
    HAPPY

Dear Tina,

I am feeling really happy that you have tried the recipe and that it was tasty. Thanks a lot for trying it ! Really thanks !

Love,

HAPPY