1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just want to be left alone

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by GirlintheWorld, Jul 3, 2013.

1. GirlintheWorld

GirlintheWorld New IL'ite

Hi

I know this might sound unreasonable but I want to keep very limited relations with my inlaws who live abroad in India. I am waiting for my husband to join me here and while he is away I am under a lot of stress. I have only called them once since I last saw them around two months a go and have made it clear that I am not going to make a habit to keep calling them. The thing is that when I talk to my husband he sometimes tells me his mum, nephew etc are not well and indirectly tries to make me feel guilty. They are never seriously unwell as I know his family are all a bit hypochondriac in nature. Anyway I made it very clear that I find in laws stressful no matter who I married especially since they can't speak English and my Hindi is awful. Whenever I have called they always try and do the guilt trip thing and ask me if I have forgotten them. This irritates me so much and I wish I could just say yes. I just hate feeling like a DIL, and don't want anyone to have any relational expectations from me. I will never compromise my individuality at the expense of other people's expectations. I am too honest for my own good but can't help how I feel especially when I have such stress, I feel he shouldn't even tell me about his family as I really feel no connection and never really ask.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.

2. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

Just be yourself......Thinking too much about inlaws and their expectations will stress you out unnecessarily.....Concentrate on your work and help your husband to join you ASAP

3. GirlintheWorld

GirlintheWorld New IL'ite

Thank you. You are right I am diverting my energies because it gives me an outlet. I guess I should get on with finding a job and getting on with my life.

4. greenbow

greenbow Gold IL'ite

Is it just me or does this sound like a typical H talking about wife's parents.

5 people like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Perfectly reasonable as long as you allow your husband the same leeway with regards to your own family. He shouldn't have to maintain any relations with your family or even listen to you talk about them. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

8 people like this.
  6. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Was it clarified before marriage that you're a loner............
    Also did you hence decide to marry a non english speaking family.

Whether you accept it or no, they'll remain related to the person related to you. I guess you were better off with a live-in with anyone as compared to a marriage with an Indian whose family still resides in India.

And absolutely no issue in what you want... a lot of indian men need it this way.. same as greenbow mentioend. Don't worry they'll learn it sooner or later and accept you the way you're.
    For me, this thread appears like same person under different IDs... with same issue.

4 people like this.
  7. bossomfall

bossomfall Bronze IL'ite

The problem is not about individuality, the problem is you are speaking half-truth.

When people speak too much about their individuality, ahhhhh, we can smell what the fish is cooking.

2 people like this.
  8. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

I am not sure if your expectations are reasonable. But I hope you had made this known to not only your husband but his family also "before your marriage". Because everyone has expectations from every relation. Assuming that your in-laws had wanted to have a nice relationship with their daughter-in-law, then its injustice to suddenly put forward new terms of your own.

2 people like this.
  9. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

I am kind of curios why you married into a traditional family if you did not want any relations with them. Most of the women here have tried and tried with IL and gotten shot down and hence are here. You are entitled to associate with who you want, but these people are thousands of miles away, I think it is necessary to be polite to them.

1 person likes this.
  10. nitasen3

nitasen3 Silver IL'ite

Girl if you want to be alone just be alone. As Shilpama rightly said you better deserve to have a live in relationship. Why did you opt for marriage? and that too with a traditional Indian guy? Your previous post says, you have a job with a hefty payment and you are supporting ur husband but do not want to help ur inlaws. And here u say u will find a job for urself. Did u lose the job? Whatever but understand that no one is desperate to have a relationship with you just to extract monetary favours from you. Just let go that stupid attitude and think how u can improve yourself instead of utilizing all ur energy in family deconstruction.

2 people like this.