1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Just To Get Opinions..will You Receive Any Gift/dress From Family In India For Festivals?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Oct 10, 2017.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am just posting this to get opinions. I am in US for past one year only. I would like to know if u will be receiving any gift or dress from ur families in India.
    I am just talking to my mom today and she said she want to send some gifts to my kid for Diwali. I just told her not to waste money on shipping.
    She enquired with our relatives whose son/daughter is in US. They said it will be costly to send and we will buy them gifts once they are here on vacation.
    I really didn't know abt the shipping cost from there. I just checked online and found India post register post service was the cheapest one. Is there any other cheap shipping couriers available.
    Just share ur opinions..

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP, I discourage parents/ in laws from bringing gifts just bcoz I feel we shd be gifting them now (if at all, and not they to us) .. but if they still bring gifts , we just collect on our India trip..shipping cost might actually be higher than the gift cost, so it wouldn't make sense to send.. Is it a custom in your family? Maybe your mom's worried your family may feel bad , if they don't send or similar. Pls address if that's the issue & tell her she needn't worry.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    gknew, Amica, sindmani and 1 other person like this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I completely agree that we shud gift them and not accept from them. We both (me and DH) will not accept any gifts from both families when we were in India. We usually gift them for every occasion.
    There is no such formality in my family. My mom receive my gifts today(online orders) and she felt bad that she cant get something back to kid..i have convinced and explained her about the higher shipping costs and she agreed. I am happy about it...

4. prestine

prestine Silver IL'ite

Op check out garudavega, faster and very cheap

gknew likes this.