1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just Another Summer

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Apr 15, 2019.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

We moved from one cold place to another years ago. My first one was just couple of months old then. Little did I realize I had only 18 summers to make the best with her as we seem to be stuck in this coldest place and summer hardly lasts for 3 months. Our first summer together went off in adjusting to the new routine, moving and settling in a new place. I was scared taking her out as it rained Pollen in our area frequently. The term Pollen Rain ‘மகரந்த மழை “ seemed so romantic in a movie song but not in reality.

The next summer she was running in the yard picking dandelions. I still remember her first step in those small toddler booties and blue jean top. The moment she realized that she gained her balance she was running. Our third summer started with her swim lessons and she enjoyed her time with grand parents. Little did I have time to pause and enjoy the moment or the motherhood. Time was slipping away swiftly as I was always overwhelmed with anxiety and fear of a new mother. I forgot to enjoy the joy of parenting instead was drowning in my responsibilities .

When I was told by my neighbor “Enjoy these days now Time flies by”, little did I take it seriously. She being Irish had arranged the first Easter egg hunt for my elder one the third summer followed by a scrumptious supper. One summer it was with Legos one summer a ride with Thomas another at Disney and one another at local museums. Summer after summer we still tried to take short trips, long trips, visit kid friendly places or go to National parks and built some beautiful memories. I just have one more summer with her before she flies off the nest and now when I look back I wonder where did all those summers go.

Soon she is going to make her own path and start her journey independently. As she plans on her next adventure I am filled with heaviness in the heart. Did I do better as a parent worries me. Did I create good memories? Did I leave a good impression in her mind or will she dread all those days when I was strict with her. Did we grow together learning from each other or did we grow apart? Only time has to tell.

With another summer around the corner I hope to make the best use of it … The moment right now feels so important and I really want to cherish these happy moments and for now be thankful for all those learning moments as a parent. Deep inside my heart I know big changes are coming but the thought that I still have one more summer offers a silver lining. I would still have responsibilities to fulfill forever as a parent. But I could still keep making beautiful memories not just in summer though!

Can’t go back in time
    Can’t hold those passing moments
    Can create more beautiful moments
    Can hold those memories tight
    It’s just not 18 Summers
    To be joyful together
    Life has more to offer
    Still Time flies by …

sindmani, kkrish, Gauri03 and 19 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

“Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.” ~ Elizabeth Stone

More later ...

jskls, Thyagarajan, Afresh and 4 others like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful recollections, @jskls Lakshmi. Moments spent with our children are invaluable and they stay afresh in our minds forever.

Lovely thoughts! Amen.

jskls, Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

True, Lakshmi, time flies and before we know the young ones are ready to fly the nest. Am sure she will have fond memories of all the wonderful times you have spent together and am just as sure that this process will continue even in the years to come. Yes, she might fly the nest, she might be busy with her own life, but there will be precious moments spent together in future too, even if they are not so long.

jskls, Thyagarajan, Afresh and 2 others like this.
  5. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Aww....:relaxed::kissingclosed:!
    That's such a touching post!
    I am so in the middle of this phase and wondering if I am doing enough now , will there be fond memories ?
    But then I do know how to console myself, instead of drowning in this dread that if we'll ever make it to the Road filled with roses or do we end up with the other feeling the thorns :(.
    I then hold myself and tell my heart, that this is how life has decided to unfold for us and there are millions on this path! we can do our best but nothing in this world is going to be the ultimate :)!
    I live by this motto
    Also i look back and with how many ever complaints i have of 'My childhood', I do recall all the 'cherished memories' which happened not by engineering or design but organically. Those were the ones that i think somehow remain most with us; our turning points so to say!
    like the say " Ghalib dil ko manane ke liye khayal acchha hai"

Those lines in the end sum it all :)

Can’t go back in time
    Can’t hold those passing moments
    Can create more beautiful moments
    Can hold those memories tight
    It’s just not 18 Summers
    To be joyful together
    Life has more to offer
    Still Time flies by …

Its a beautiful read
    All the best for the beautiful 18th summer!! There are many more coming up ... trust me :)

jskls, Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear jskls,
    Wonderful recapitulation.At every step we learn with the children.The experiences are varied.Some are pleasant, some are instructive and some are worrisome.When children are ready to move,we have a feeling of having solved a thousand piece puzzle ,some easy to match and some wanting.
    However memories are sweet. This is an inseparable part of motherhood everyone has to undergo.It is pleasant cum painful.They have leaned on our shoulders. You have ensured that no more leaning is required. A proud mother and a deserving child! Sweet memories!
    Jayasala 42

7. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,

It was so emotional to read this and you have captured to resonate with all moms here. I just feel that the way you pour the heart down is the solid proof that your kids are going to have so many cherished memories.

I have 9 and 7 more summers to make it right, make it better. I hope that I can do it too.

Vani

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

So very beautifully you have captured the feelings, in a flowing manner.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful words.... Every second spent with a child, we truly learn something.....
    Time flies fast with kids, and before we realise they have their wings ready to fly and conquer the world.. ..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:One more summer
    Before teen is over
    One by one
    In mental album
    You leaf through
    Black and white some
    Riot of hues in other

Images Stay green in memory

First she stood in jeans top
    In baby shoes
    Hopped and Plucked
    Golden dandelion
    Full of pollen

In two baby steps
    She reached and hand the flower
    Burying her face holding you

You stooped and scooped her ....
    she hugged your nape
    Leaning on your shoulder

On and on
    Other leaves of album
    You turned

Finer rainbow moments
    In riot of colours

yet some time
    You were away
    When she was cared by your mom

But those are the moments
    You missed & long for
    You wish to re-capture
    You query yourself
    “Had I stayed with her
    those hours too”

Heart is heavy
    Lump in throat
    But now she
    As Tall as you are
    In her nineteen
    Sharing umpteen special
    Dialogues with you

Delight you in her catchy phrases
    Thanking you from her heart
    For all the good that you
    Demonstrated and moments chided

She is thanking you
    In turning her
    To get ready for encountering
    Her newer world!

Super nostalgia . I enjoyed reading this post and launched me to lyrics. A futile attempt at that.

As a working couple in the initial three to four years, after her first delivery of son, we had missed a couple of months watching growth and progress of our son . But with our daughter, we had no such problem as my spouse could be there as whole time housewife. Tear jerking: and few lines with nostalgia heart ebbed!

Thanks and Regards.
    God created scented flowers & Mothers to act as His Deputy on Earth.