1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just A Question

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by curtainsdown, Jul 13, 2016.

1. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

Just a question..

When one of your (or your husband's) married cousin sisters unexpectedly drop by your home for a night stay and dinner - let us assume it is their first ever visit as a married couple - let us also assume that her parents were very supportive (financially) to your(or ur husbands) parents in their youth, is it reasonable of them to expect that we will gift them something like a saree/material etc and also send them back to their destination (Say railway station) in a prepaid cab or travel 2 hours in Bangalore traffic to drop them next day ????

Also please note that they came home empty handed even though we have a child ...... what bothers me is not the quantum of money spent but the idea in their head that they are privileged.

let us also assume that both they and us are fairly well off - but their idea is that we are better off than them financially :)

I am curious - am i being silly ....what would you do if you were me or if you were my cousin sister.....

2. curtainsdown

really? do you all drop your guests back to railway station on a weekday traffic or send them in prepaid taxis and gift them dress ? If all of you do that, ok I will accept I am mean and will change my ways.

I do accept good food, good company and a good place to rest while they are here - but not like we will give them our bedroom and we go to guest room??!!! Am I being silly?

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Forget about the relationship - husband's cousin or your cousin or a long distance relative.... Also forget about the past, i.e how great their parents to your/your husband's parents when they were young.

Now this is the case: A newly married relative has visited to your home unexpectedly, and happened to stay over night. Now tell me, what is the custom/common practice to show your kindness as a relative/friend to the couple when they leave your place.

In our place, we do offer them some traditional gift like saree, bindi etc... to the woman, and in rare cases if the bride/groom is closely related, we gift something expensive to both.
    And it is a matter of courtesy to drop your guest to the station. Me or my H drive them in our car. However, if we are not in a position to drive, we would hire a taxi. Obviously we would pay.
    Since we do them all voluntarily, no one remind us, nor ask us any favor.

PS; the guest normally bring some gifts, at least some eatables like cakes, sweets, fruits or some toys for the kids. But if their visit is unplanned, they may have reasons for not taking anything as gift.

4. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

In total agreement with @SGBV ,.. Even i was about to give same reply..

U have done some thing for ur relative.. may be their visit was unplanned , they may compensate next time.

Its never ending relationships.

5. curtainsdown

hmm ok. so i am silly :) thank you people!
    Thanks to the husband who helped me do the right thing :)

still something about their "right to expect and our duty to serve" bothers me......
    If I ever go to someone's place i am very respectful of their time and will definitely refuse if they offer to drop us etc. but i will let this one go. yes we have a long way to go! thanks again folks!

6. tulip07

tulip07 Bronze IL'ite

Just relax!!
    When I was newly married and visited my hubby's relatives, nobody cared giving us any gifts or hiring a cab/ dropping us home. So I basically think it all depends on your relation (how close you guys are) with them and also your situation on that particular day of their visit.
    Obviously, you are not going to drop your guests off if its your working day, but you should atleast call a taxi or guide/drop them to the nearest metro/train station. We don't keep gifts at home ready for unexpected guests! You can bring her a saree or something when you visit her :)

Also, I think they should have brought something for your kid ATLEAST!

Anyway, just relax, don't stress yourself over it. People will expect n number of things from you, but that doesn't mean you should behave accordingly. Don't worry :)

monkatpeace87 likes this.
  7. monkatpeace87

monkatpeace87 Silver IL'ite

@SGBV has explained it beautifully.

@tulip07 also rightly said ppl expect many things but than u don't have to bend back to fulfill them.

If it is there first time u can gift them and pamper them
    Second time no way would I be doing this.
    And it also depends how well u want to maintain the relationship with the said couple.
    This is India and ppl do talk behind ur back, if u know what I mean.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

I think u r relating the past (they helped) to the present (so you should help). Some relatives are like that. They come running to claim the favors they think are "Entitled" to them.

Stop thinking so much. That's why one sentence runs into five lines in your OP. :)

If it was me, I really don't mind if my DH drove a couple of hours to drop them. As long as he doesn't expect ME to drop my work and drop them.

Paying for prepaid taxis, guests showing up empty handed, giving dress to first timers - all that, been there, done that, doesn't even register in my head now. I reserve my energies for things more valuable to me.

Smile, woman!

SunPa likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

"Unexpectedly" means? :thinking: They don't have phone? Not able to text, whatsapp? If so, I will welcome them and ask how they live without phone/whatsapp, and gaze at them with a hungry-for-knowledge look and take notes (on my phone).

Jokes apart, I am not much a fan of unexpected visits or overnight stays, unless they are very close, and the unexpected dropping is a common event. So, the usual rules of gifting, dropping, do not apply in the case described, IMO.

If the visit was planned, then, SGBV's post sums it up.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime....

If woman does the been there done that herself.. then the smile is real and stays. If not, it is forced and slips now and then. Meaning - reserving energies for things more valuable comes after expending it on some small things........