July 26th In Mumbai All Over Again?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Naari, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello everyone,

After the havoc that hurricane Harvey wreaked in the State of Texas in the last few days and while it is not yet done, I woke up today to the news of torrential rains that Mumbai experienced last 24 hours and flooded the vibrant city, paralyzed the transportation and brought it to a jolted halt. Here's the news piece:

Rains wreak havoc in Mumbai; Met office predicts more 'heavy showers' - Times of India

The Met Department has predicted more heavy rainfall in Mumbai over next 2-3 days.

Being an ex-Mumbaikar and having been a fan of the liveliness and spirit of the city, it saddens me to see the city go through these times. This incident reminds me of the day, July 26th of 2005, when there was similar heavy rainfall in Mumbai & the city got sunk in 2-3 feet deep water. I was in India at the time and remember being stuck in office overnight like many other working people of Mumbai as the transportation came to a grinding halt due to the floods. The water drained off and trains and taxis only resumed service the following day more than 24 hours later, when we could all set out to go home. That day is a distinct memory in my head till today due to the hardship that the people of the city went through due to the heavy rainfall and floods. But, one thing I have always noticed is the undying spirit of Mumbaikars and their unity, when the city experiences anything dire , be it rainfall or bomb blasts, which is an admirable trait & one positive outcome in such painful circumstances. I am proud to be an ex-Mumbaikar!!

I am hoping the coming days won't be as hard on Mumbai or Texas. Sending our prayers and wishes for the safety of the people at both these places.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017

2. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

I am saddened too with the current state of Mumbai . However, I know my Mumbai and Mumbaikars very well. It's a city that never sleeps and can rise back from the ashes like a phoenix . We may not have the same kind of SOS services like in Texas but it's the undying spirit of mumbaikars that keeps us going when faced external forces like terrorism or natural calamities. Within a few days , everything will be back to normal and people will move on as if nothing really happened ! And what better than getting a few days off at school or work ;)

Amica, Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  3. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

I was watching news this morning and felt really sad of what people are undergoing in Mumbai . I hope all the people of Mumbai are safe and this situation comes in control soon .

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

True.. but hoping the corporates have changed to be more flexible and responding to the current situation. I remember going to work even when heavy rains were predicted as: 1. you never know if the prediction is accurate 2. corporates don't care if you are stuck, clients have to be happy at the end of the day.. I don't recall an early leave like in US when companies ask employees to leave with an impending storm or weather warnings.. you think so?

Sandycandy and Archanaanchan like this.
  5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Well, I was working too when the 2005 fiasco happened . We took maybe a day off but everyone was back to work soon after . Maybe now things have changed because all big IT companies are offering wfh options . I doubt such flexibility occurs in other fields though . I feel sorry for them

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Amica, Sunburst, teenulahari and 2 others like this.
  7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Mumbai always gets heavy rainfall every year. These kind of torrential rains may be exceptional & infrequent, but still Mumbai is not even equipped for the regular or heavy rains that are not a new feature for Mumbai. The first rains every year result in water logging and slow down the city, like it was an unexpected event. There's nobody else to blame but the Corporation. Like the article says, this is a testimonial to the incompetence of the richest Corporation in the country! Thankfully, we do not have to bear the brunt of it anymore, but being an ex-resident hurts me to see the chaotic condition.

NeetaR and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

More than hurt I am annoyed, heavy flooding will be the norm every couple of years until some concrete steps are taken. An elderly lady I know was stranded yesterday in the train from afternoon until midnight . Just realized local trains have no toilets :BangHead:

Meanwhile mahesh bhupati is annoyed for a different reason

Mumbai rains: Mahesh Bhupathi angry after wife Lara Dutta uses Wimbledon towel to stop flooding

Seems very shallow isn't it ? Surprised it even made news . Bade logo ke chochle

Amica and Naari like this.
  9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Haha ! Very shallow, he is worried abt his hard earned towels , when the city is sunk in water..but to be fair, lara tweeted that the towels are finally being put to good use almost implying that they were useless till now. So, mahesh had to charge back...Also, an outcome of overusing social media.. why did she have to tweet the use the towels are being put to?? Talk of making everything public! "Abhi main sneeze karnewala hun, aachhi " "eating now" "breathing now" .. it's a madness

Amica, Sandycandy and NeetaR like this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Mumbaikars are hardy folks. I'm sure they'll take this in stride. I worry about the building collapses in these storms. And about all the people who sleep on the sidewalks. :worried:

I hope everyone's friends and relatives are safe. :worried:

My prayers are with the folks in Mumbai and Texas.

Sandycandy, Sunburst and Naari like this.