1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joy Of Thinning Hair And Grayer Beard

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda
    I was talking about the original Trio. Not their avatars. Krishna had a moustache when he was the charioteer for Around in the war. You can see him in Paryhasarathy Temple in Chennai
    Sivaji Ganesan was clean shaven in real life but he was never without a mush in any film!

satchitananda likes this.
  2. AhujaGirl

AhujaGirl Silver IL'ite

Cheeniya Sir,

I had the same feeling as a child, that beards and wisdom have some connection with each other.

Also, you got fascinated with the razor and tried it on your face, me being a girl and still fascinated with the razor, used it to get myself a razor bang and ended up shaving a part of my head :D Well, I looked rather funny and my parents rather shocked, but then children and razors have a connection as well is what I think because I know of umpteen people who have tried the razor in various ways as a child, be it shaving off their head, eyebrows or face!

3. Cheeniya

@AhujaGirl
    No one has spoken a truer word! When people throw away their used blades, the children use them for sharpening their pencil and such other actions. It is hard to find a child that does not remain fascinated by a blade. Most of the beard growers like me might have had a bitter experience with a blade in their childhood! All said and done, beards continue to remain one strong link between the successive generations and all beards of the world should owe their existence to a misadventure in childhood!

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Last time when I was in India, I watched a 4D movie. Yes, a movie where apart from your 3D stereo vision, your feet are also tickled (literally). To enhance your sensory experience, a physical stimulus is released now and then like tickling of your feet or soft rolls on your arm chair. I cannot remember the movie but it was cartoon film. I came out and felt that instead of the fortified extra "D", they should have enlisted captions for an immersive experience. I don't know why anyone would watch an English movie without English subtitles and miss out on that 5D ambience.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

People change their city, their character, their customer base to regain trust and hit pay dirt again. Here, the man had to only change one letter in his manufactured goods to reboot his life again. Innovation can begin with trifle alteration rather than a radical overhaul.

6. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Nearly six decades ago, the Walt Disney guys came to India to show their 360 degrees projection system. They came to Chennai too and I went to see it. We were kept in a tent like structure and there were screens all around. When the show started, the first shot was going in a boat. As the water all around swayed menacingly, we held each other's hands to balance ourselves! Walt Disney gave it up then as it was not economical.
    People have started showing interest again in the project. This is just a sample:
    It may be common now but 60 years back, it just floored us!

7. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    When I joined the State Bank in 1965, it's logo was a Banyan Tree. By the end of that decade, SBI changed its logo as under:
    upload_2017-6-28_15-30-11.jpeg A few days after it was introduced, we were having a chat about it in the lunch room. A guy lamented that he could not understand it at all. Then one colleague explained that the large circle represented the ever growing Bank and the small one inside showed that the tiny customer was its base. Then someone asked him to explain the slit like thing going downward. He explained that it represented the gap through which Nagarwala escaped! Nagarwala was the famous case those days when a huge sum of money was siphoned off from SBI using the Prime Minister's name!

Attached Files:

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I have never come across one. This is the first of such theatrical domes I have heard of.

What a sound and visual innovation! I didn't even know about This is Cinerama and the tinkering of aspect ratio till I came across widescreen mania in Bill Bryson's Notes from a small island. Today we have iMax screens. Imagine what must it be like in the early 30s and 40s when, now ubiquitous, colour added thrill to a movie-watching experience.

That 360 degrees projection resembles the dome of a planetarium. Incidentally, the Birla planetarium in Chennai was my first visit to any science institute or the likes. I was too young and cannot remember much but the planetarium hosted a year round science exhibition. I must be three or four when I visited it. As they say, you always remember your firsts.

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Logo.JPG

Why is that interpreted as a blue circle with a white leaking hole? Is that not a full blue circle fronted by a white pin?

White pin! That is what it looks like to me. A white pin standing tall in front of a blue sphere.
    We may be small (pin), but hold the world (blue planet).

You may reprimand, "Stop watching those nature documentaries ...blue planet and white stamens."

Tell you, incidentally pin in my language (Telugu) is not bland. It comes with sharp imagery.

It is called gundu (bald) + soodi (pin) = gundusoodi (bald pin)

Growing up, I used to call that gunde (heart) + soodi = gundesoodi , and wondered why was that pin named heartpin. Later I realized, it is bald (gundu) and not missing a heart (gunde) like our Tin Woodman from Oz. Going by the analogy, Nagarwala must have been a variant of the traditional pin propagandised by SBI, a linchpin of the scam.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    My first visit to the Birla Planetarium was in Kolkata in the mid seventies when I was working there. By that time, I had already experienced the Walt Disney's innovation in Chennai. So I was not feeling as awestruck as during my Disney experience. Nevertheless I was struck by the real life portrayal of the sky above us. What attracted me most was the skyline all around showing the city's buildings and landscape in a thumbnail sketch. The smallness of it made me feel that I was airborne in the heart of the city with a transparent roof over my flying machine! It was a great experience though the vocal commentary spoiled the whole effect!