1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joy Of Thinning Hair And Grayer Beard

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

There was a wicked hag called Iravati
    Who had the fury of a military;
    When they questioned her 'Why?'
    She said she was inspired by a White House fly
    Then she loaded her gun and left in a hurry

Cheeniya likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    I too have not read of this book of Aldous Huxley. It is fascinating to see serious writers suddenly taking to light subjects. I'll read this book as soon as possible.
    You know what a serious film maker Satyajit Ray was and his films won world acclaim. He produced a movie for children titled 'Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne'. It is so unbelievably funny and colourful that even adults fell in love with it. Try and get a video of it and watch it. You will love it.

3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Hope not in search of me!

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

People say that hearts and ears (wax) melt when they read something. Do you know, eyes also melt at times? Like it did a moment ago on reading your post.

Back in the day, our lovable and spiral-shaped Doordarshan used to broadcast regional films on Sunday afternoons and past prime time during weekdays. On one such fateful day at midnight (my parents were lenient with television), I had watched 'Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne'. I must be very young, seven or eight years old. Such unsupervised television viewing at midnight may discredit the parents of today. I am glad I did what I did back then or else how would I have perked up on seeing that film title in your post. That movie is hilarious! I remember cracking my tooth out laughing to it. Though today I scarcely remember the storyline, the laughter of that fond memory is vivid. Ah, such a sweet nostalgia. This was decades before that other popular children's movie Chhota Chetan was released. I didn't like the 3D thrills of Chhota Chetan because in due time I was weaned off the sorcery and fantasy tales. That 7-12 gummy-toothed age with access to unlimited television hours was one of the best indulgences of my life.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    How do you have the heart to mention Chhota Chetan when we are talking about 'Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne'?
    When he produced that movie, Ray vowed to expose all toothless boys and girls and he was phenomenally successful at that!

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

True that! I don't know why we no longer promote such films. During those late night hours, I also watched another ghostly film "Blithe Spirit". Then, Omen, Poltergeist, Don't Look Now so forth. That memory is also vivid. Back then, I used to prance in the early mornings to fetch the newspaper left at the door step. I would flip to the "TV" listing and scan for any interesting programmes. Obviously, at that age, all programmes were luring and interesting. I used to watch UFO secrets, Twilight Zone, Paranormal Activity, Unexplained Phenomenon, English movies, Regional movies, all kinds of telenovas in those late night hours. I could report my parents to social services who let me watch all kinds of lousy programmes and look what happened to be. I am mentally depraved! But the regional films with English subtitles were the best. Even today I watch English programmes with English subtitles. Old habits die hard! So long, and thanks for all the teeth I sprouted during that time.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Back to beards, do you know Milton Bradley? He was wracked because of a beard. You might wonder how can harmless hair ruin anyone's prospects. You must catch up to Milton Bradley. He was left insolvent in his lithograph business when Abraham Lincoln had begun to grow a beard. Bradley, who until that point was raking in profits by printing and selling images of a young Lincoln without a beard lost his business and burned the remaindered stock when people complained that he was selling stale images of Lincoln. Later, Mr Bradley went on to invent board games and made up for the loss. Mind you, a beard can destroy someone's life. That too someone else's beard.

8. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    You are not even half my age and you are talking about 'Even today'! I am in my mid seventies and I can't watch a movie without subtitles. When subtitles are there, I watch only that and miss seeing the movie. My daughter pleads with me not to watch movies with subtitles but as you say, even English movies come with English subtitles these days!

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    What if he lost money in beard games? He made up for the loss with his board games! And that's what I call as enterprise! If Lincoln had not grown a beard, the world would have never seen some fascinating board games

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sir, what about this one. He was also an avatar of Vishnu and hence a God.

[​IMG]

I was reluctant to ask earlier because I was not too keen on displaying my ignorance. But I can't resist. The question has been niggling in my mind since reading your post.