1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joy Of Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Working from home is never easy and sometimes you never know when to call it a day. However, taking break once in every couple of hours is an important factor to keep the brain pumped up and going for the entire day. I thought walking in the backyard or having a conversation with a little child is exciting and I come back refreshed to get back to work. For the past 9 years, every one of my break is nothing but exciting thanks to Orion, my sweat heart puppy miniature Dachshund (even though he is 9 years old, we still consider him as a puppy). For my wife he is a grandson and for me he is indescribable joy of life.

When my son brought this handsome puppy home, my wife and I resisted but my son insisted that he was going to keep Orion with him in his apartment near the University campus. After we started spending time with Orion, we couldn’t resist our inclination to keep him always with us. Only once every year, we let him stay with our son i.e. when we go to India. Otherwise, Orion is always with us and we don’t even go out much other than for shopping and we always try to come back in 2-3 hours as he doesn’t like car rides. We normally keep a rock music or some other music in the TV so that he doesn’t feel lonely.

He loves playing with the toy and our favorite game is to throw the toy and ask him to fetch it. He begins running even before I throw it and sometimes, I cheat him by throwing in the opposite direction. After some time, when he is gasping for breath, he used to hold the toy tightly in his mount, wag the tail and make loud growl when I try to snatch it away from him. In the evening from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., he likes to spend time with my wife who chants a lot. Sometimes, I used to think he would be a recluse in his next life. If it is 6 p.m., he will begin knocking my home office door asking me to finish my work and get out. The next one hour is time for him to hang out with me in my chair in the family room. If he is hungry, he will always run to my office and walk close to my feet indicating he is hungry. If he needs to go out, he will start intensely looking at me or sit on his back indicating he needs a favor from me.

This grandpa is the worst enemy for a few hours after he returns from his vet once in six months. He loves taking his monthly flee and worm medication as it is mixed with his favorite wet food. His regular food is a strict diet as advised by his vet. However, our heart breaks when he literally asks us to give our table food to him. Once, he snatched away a nice sandwich I had made for myself. I tried my best to take it out of his mouth but I could only remove the portion that was outside of his mouth. He ate the rest.

My favorite activity is to talk to him one word at a time close to his ears. It is such a fun to watch how his ears go up every time I utter a world. Some time, I intentionally talk with low voice so that he would bend his neck to listen carefully. My playful act is to suddenly move only my mouth without uttering any words. His facial expression at those times would be funny. After patiently waiting for good 15-30 seconds, he would bark loudly telling me that he couldn’t hear me. He won’t be happy until I clearly say a few words after he barked.

Whenever I bring groceries inside the house, he always thinks all bagful of groceries are for him and he goes and smells everything to find out what we bought for him. Everyone who goes out, when they come in and meet Orion with his wagging tail will have to give him a treat to eat (my wife calls it as “toll”). I have a routine to take him out before I go to sleep every night, but he would be fast asleep by then. Therefore, I must physically carry him out and wife and mother-in-law used to make fun of him for being carried like a baby. My son calls him walking vacuum cleaner as he is always looking for dropped table food. He doesn’t eat it immediately. He will hide the food some place else and when he is reminded of where he had hidden, he would go and begin eating. Most of the time, he would get caught because of the loud noise coming from his teeth. We struggle to open his mouth and remove the table food out of his mouth. Sometimes, I feel my spiritual ascension happens by his state of bliss, feel how he expresses his unconditional love and watch his only expectation is love (other than food and water).

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had a big grin on my face as I read through your snippet. The grocery sniffing, annoyed growling, sitting by door to be let out, hanging around the dinner table with the adorable begging face are tales familiar to all dog parents. : )

When we signed up to bring our little doggy home we had no idea how profoundly our lives were about to change. It has been a time of unbridled joy mixed with slowly dissipating frustration and regret. Nobody told me about the puppy blues! To be honest, the first few weeks were very difficult. I just couldn't cope. No one told me puppies needed so much care and attention. More than the waking up two times a night to housetrain her or cleaning up the accidents, it was the constant nipping and biting that got to me. I have cried more than once in despair asking my husband to send her back, wishing I could have my old life back. I think I made peace with the circumstances once I acknowledged that I was not a puppy-owner and she wasn't going to be the perfect little doggy from the get go. I was a puppy-mother. I had to do what her mother and littermates would have done had she stayed with them for the first year of her life. I had to teach her how to be a dog.

Once I stopped wanting things to be easy, viola, they became easier! I used to be mortally afraid of her mouthing and biting. Just my luck that puppies learn bite inhibition by, you guessed it, biting. I had to dig deep and face my own fears before I learned how to handle her. Now I sit with my hand in her mouth as she gnaws on my fingers. When she bites down hard I yelp like a puppy and she gets the message that mommy didn't like that. My hands and feet are full of bites and scars but thanks to my persistence her bites have softened a lot and she is starting to understand that humans don't like being bitten! With patience and perseverance she is now fully housetrained and responds to a handful of commands. My favorite is 'khana'. When I say khana she bounds into her crate and, like a good girl, waits for her bowl of food. My son complains that I am teaching her Hindi. I couldn't teach my kids any Hindi but I am determined to teach my dog some. :lol: The way she jumps up and down and runs circles around me when I get home, follows me everywhere even when desperately sleepy, wakes up to check if I am still there in between her naps is heartwarming. Only a dog can love you like that.

This weekend she finally got her full set of vaccinations. We had confined her to our yard to avoid infections so she hadn't been outside aside from the vet's office. Today we took her for a walk. I cannot describe her excitement. She was bounding along the trail smelling every blade of grass and wildflower. We spent a wonderful afternoon in the park with her. Now she is fast asleep at my feet. It's only been a few months but I can't think of my life without her anymore.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    sindmani, Rihana, kaniths and 3 others like this.
  3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I read both the posts - a smile on my lip and a gnawing feel in my heart.

It has been 30 years , but the memories come flooding back...

Viswamitra, kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Zxcv

Zxcv Silver IL'ite

I always wanted to get a dog but for some reason been hesitating to take the big step. But after reading these beautiful memory snippets @Viswamitra @Gauri03 i am more than sure now!

Viswamitra and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Viswamitra

I lost my mom and on my way to Chennai. I will respond a few weeks from now.

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Sorry to hear this :pensive:. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family .

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

So sorry !
    My prayers are with you and your family.
    Stay strong.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Sorry to hear the sad news.
    Syamala

10. Viswamitra

Thank you for your kind words, Syamala.

Viswa