1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Journey Of A Little Girl

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by periamma, May 31, 2017.

1. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Radha was preparing for her school final exam .Her father and Grandma had a conversation about Radha’s marriage.Her grandma asked her son to go in search for good alliances which suits their family values.Radha’s father replied to his amma that his daughter lives with some luxuries and so he must select a family which helps Radha to live a happy life.His mother too accepted his points and asked him to hurry up his search .By chance Radha overheard this conversation but she was sad.she wanted to continue her studies but her father denied her choice as it would be tough to seek an alliance with more qualifications than her.she nodded her head silently.
    Radha and her friends planned to go for a movie after finishing the last paper chemistry.she asked permission from her grandma but she refused to allow her to go for the movie.The reason she said was they have selected a groom and people from his side were coming to see her the next day .If some one from his family see her in Theatres a bad impression will fall on her which would lead to complications.Radha was totally upset and went to school .After the exam finished their lunch and proceeded to theatre.she dropped her friends there and returned home.

Next day all the nonsense of Girl seeing ceremony went on with funny dramas.One woman asked her to switch on the fan as she wants to check whether the girl is handicapped or not.Another woman asked some silly questions to verify the speech and began to tell about her family.All went well and the marriage was fixed after one month .on Radha’s side family members were busy with doing preparation for the marriage.

Luckily those days no need to search wedding halls as the marriages were held in the vast front courtyard.At Radha’s house there was a Manamedai( square shaped cement platform) which is the place where marriages were held.This stage was decorated with colourful paper flowers and it just looked like a Flower Pandhal (a mandap created with flowers).This type of decoration was new to that place and people from near by villages came there to have a look at the decorated Stage.Finally the wedding day arrived and the Groom was given a warm welcome with a huge crowd and was taken in a long procession an Elephant walking Magnanimously infront ,Nadhaswaram band playing pleasant music ,huge people followed the band and a car moved slowly with the Groom .People from Groom’s side were the last batch in the procession.Atlast Groom entered Bride’s house with a loud kulavai sound(women making a sweet music by rolling their tongue).

Wedding finished in aTraditional style and a grand feast with variety of yummy dishes.IN A MARRIAGE FOOD MUST BE SERVED WITH KIND AND POLITENESS which make the visitors to give heart felt blessings to the newly married couple.when our stomach is full with food we have a satisfaction .

The next day was the return marriage and the couple have to go the Groom’s home.This girl Radha have a habit of reading books and she like the novels written by then famous author.LAKSHMI.In all her stories a women is the main character with straight forward qualities and Radha liked the stories .Radha imagined her in-laws house as a very big house with many rooms like a Zamindar’s palace.stories read by her had a strong impact and Radha’s imagination flew very high.Next day they reached the groom’s place and Radha was shocked as that is a small village having only 40 to 50 houses surrounded by Palm trees.Her in-laws home is a small house with a verandah,a hall and a kitchen .No separate bedrooms or bathrooms and they have to go the near by wells to take bath .she just smiled the whole day stayed there for a night and then returned back.

She learnt a good lesson that real life is different from reel life and have to adjust to Lead a peaceful life.Her in-laws showered an abundant love on her.

Ups and downs in life are common but we have to face them with balanced qualities to give a meaning to life

sindmani, Laks09, jskls and 3 others like this.

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nicely narrated dear ma, took me to those times... I also imagined how sweet n pretty Radha ;) would have been then...having seen her in her golden years...
    Enjoyed the post,thankyou.

periamma likes this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@knbg Bhargavi happy to see you here. June third was my 46th wedding anniversary. So I penned my feelings in this post . Thanks for your kind reply

jskls likes this.
  4. AhujaGirl

AhujaGirl Silver IL'ite

Lovely narration... I initially thought that this would lead to a sad story, shattering of dreams and tragedy but you proved me wrong. Yes, some dreams were shattered but the reel dreams may not be real is a good explanation for them. Absolutely loved the ending where Radha gets abundant love from the in laws which is not what every one gets. And Yes adjustments are quite necessary, the flexible grass can survive the storm better than the firm trees. :)

periamma likes this.
  5. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

So nice to read an old timer's story of life .
    Its true , marrying and moving to new place and family used to be so mysterious those days , all strangers . And mostly joint family and lots of people to get used to.
    But it was all like life lessons .
    I am also about same age group , and gone through similar . so I can feel the emotion in every sentence very well .

periamma likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Happy belated wedding anniversary periamma.

A sweet one of a little girl blossoming into a mature adult.. 46 yrs wow. May you have many more returns of the same

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Oh dear periamma,
    Happy Belated wedding anniversary!
    In fact we also had our 57th wedding anniversary on the same day! The ups and downs are always there in everybody's life. It is like passing cloud and we have to take it on our stride. Wish you happy anniversaries to follow for many more years.
    PS

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@AhujaGirl Thanks for your fb..As you said flexible grass survive the storm .well said

9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@SCSusila Thanks dear.what i learnt in the joint family helps me to move along people.i had five BILs and four SILs and i was like a little kid among them

SCSusila likes this.
  10. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy Thanks a lot for your heartfelt wishes