1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joint Family

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Friends : I am writing this for a special request from my son. He is very fascinated on this topic and would love to hear more. Please do share your experiences too and make this more memorable to read and learn.

A Hindu Joint Family is an extended family arrangement prevalent among Hindus of the Indian subcontinent, consisting of many generations living under the same roof. All the male members are blood relatives and all the women are either mothers, wives, unmarried daughters, or widowed relatives, all bound by the common sapinda relationship. The joint family status being the result of birth, possession of joint cord that knits the members of the family together is not property but the relationship. The family is headed by a patriarch, usually the oldest male, who makes decisions on economic and social matters on behalf of the entire family. The patriarch's wife generally exerts control over the kitchen, child rearing and minor religious practices. All money goes to the common kitty and all property is held jointly.
    A daughter cannot remain the member of her father’s family after her marriage and the sisters, though they were once entitled to a share in the property, would lose their right and would be entitled to only maintenance until their marriage and their marriage expenses. A joint family may consist of a single male member and widows of the deceased male members and the property of the family does not cease to belong to the joint family merely because the family is represented by a single coparcener who possesses rights which an absolute owner of the property may possess. (Source Wikipedia)
    The earliest I can remember of a joint family was when my paternal grand father passed away and my grandmother came to live with us. As she was the eldest of 12 siblings, we had an eternal flow of cousins, uncles and aunts come to our house. And most of them did stay for atleast a few days at a time.
    Most of the big decisions were always consulted with grandmother before it was confirmed. It was more seen on issues like marraiges. As soon as a horoscope is matched , uncles and aunts would start trickling in. This could be due to the fact that we did not have telephones at the time. And imagine how many people would go see the "girl". And even more imagine the heated discussions ensuing after "girl seeing" visit. That would never cease and thats where grandmother and other elders stepped in to narrow down on selection. And making the decision.
    I even remember very early how we used to buy big gunny bags of rice, wheat etc and then distribute between family and relatives. And ofcourse the appalams and vadams. My grandmother used to make such big batches of these wonder foods to share with all relatives. Some relatives would even contribute bags of chilli or even oil cans.
    I even remember when my paternal grandfather passed away every ceremony associated was done at my place. Needless to say there used to be no place for me to sit and study.Most of these good relations did start to change when the children start to grow up. They would then question why their parent was referring to someone else's mom or dad and in this case reference to my grandmother ofcourse. And this would go even further when the kids started earning. The split between families would start to widen though the elders did keep in touch and they understood the changes. It really was a unique environment because the whole family does raise the child and the child gets the benefit of so many people around and so many cousins to fight and play with.
    These days with small families being the norm, are our age old customs gone or dwindling away rapidly?

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi AC,

A very neat analysis of joint family system. Yeah i think we were the last generation which actually saw the whole family with all the uncles and aunts living together. Also we dont see such large families also now, isnt it,....many of us have stopped with one child. My daughter always asks whom will her children call as mamas and athais!? Relevant question....soon such relationships will also dwindle, we may forget also all these names. But maybe all this is the so called fast development of the society isnt it.....these things happen and we have all become scattered, maybe get together once in a way in a wedding and renew our relationships, make promises to stay in touch and visit!
    Well i had my best childhood, ....my father had so many sisters and brothers and spent many holidays with all of them and so many cousins. But the children now , they all seem so isolated! SAD! But is there any solution!? I wonder......

3. Anandchitra

Even if you be the only to reply it is a GEM of a reply dear Sudha.. So very well put in words..thanks for sharing..

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi AC:

This one is dear to my heart since I have lived in a few of the joint families. Initially, I lived with my paternal grandparents and aunts. And later on, maternal grandparents and uncles. I was young then but I have good memories of being a part of the joint families. So many cousins to play and share with. You have friends for life there. I wouldn't say the same held good for the adults though.

Joint families are probably great for children to grow up in but as you become adults, you want to spread your wings, so it becomes difficult I guess. But the system does teach you to adjust, compromise and share.

They are becoming a thing of past definitely - with migration to greener pastures - rural India to urban India, education, etc. But can you hold onto it .....No. Wish there was a way though.

Sindhu

5. Anandchitra

You have also written so well in your reply dear Sindhu.. Its an unique setting..even if there is disputes among elders or co sisters or sisters inlaw .. Thanks for writing here.

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear AC,
    i have lived in one and so know the nuances of the feeling expressed by you here, there are plus and minus to this being together and many a time sibling rivalry is the main cause of fight among parents when the cousins fight the elders join in to show their pent up feelings and yes my grandfather used to buy dry chillies and tamarind for the entire lot of family in bags, and oil used to be 50 paise a kilo and that too has tobe well used, we had cows in the back yard and running around with the calf is real fun, i remember when the curd used to become sour they used to throw it away in the gutter a big vesself full my god to day to think of it what a waste it was, as none would eat, and so on..thanku for the rewind button effect u gave me..sunkan

7. Anandchitra

Thank You more for sharing here..dear Sundari.. why did they throw away the sour curds..we used to moorkuzhambu, or more famously "kalan".. my grandmas kalan is something to die for !! and oh I forgot to add grinding in the ammi or kaloral ...

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear AC,

A nice write up on our value based system.

When I got married I had put my foot down that I would like to have a big family with me but it was not a very big family but till date we are leaving in the joint family with my mil and fil with us. Recently my married sil also has joined here due to personal problems in her marriage.

But the best part in joint family system (JFS) is for the kids, they are pampered a lot by their GPs and morally guided. They do not miss their parents. Whenever the DIL falls sick etc the family is there to look after with affecting the smooth functioning and not to mention the economics of being in JFS is great.

There are disadvantages also like no privacy, independance etc but I will always vouch that JFS is the best. It is from my personal experience. I have been living as a neutral family during my dh's transfers but I still enjoy the JFS and wish all new DIL realise that in the long run this will help us more.

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC
    I should compliment you for a very meaningful analysis of JFS. It is sad that we are moving away from this time-tested way of life. If you see National Geographic channel, you'll realise that every other living being continues to live in groups. During my Sabari Malai trips, my Gurusamy used to tell us that there was no need to fear a herd of elephants but if an elephant was sighted alone, we must run for safety!
    We are becoming more and more self-centered that we have started considering the JFS a burden particularly when there is a disparity in the income earning capabilities of the individual constituents of the family. I dont want to sound offensive but the demand for breaking away from JFS generally emanates from the women of the household. This used to be the fulcrum around which many a family story used to be spun in the fifties and sixties by eminent writers!
    People of Chettinad despite being spread all over the globe make it a point to have all their festivities in their native place as it gives them an opportunity to congregate together as frequently as possible. This is one of the reasons why the culture of Chettinad continues to be preserved in tact till today.
    The modern thinking is that independence is more essential and that the JFS can never permit that. We believe in making even our infant children to be on their own in their rooms! JFS is more prevalent in North India particularly in Rajasthan which explains their rich cultural heritage remaining intact. JFS may be difficult to follow in the modern context but no one can deny the benefits of this system!
    Sri

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

AC,
    JFS is a beautiful concept of living. I am from a nuclear family. I missed lot of this, but after marriage I lived in a joint family for 8 years which later became almost nuclear with bil moving to germany and we moving to gulf. now my fil stays with me.

You need to have more patience, less of "I", mutual respect and understanding for the concept to work. there is more give and take in this. but the advantages are more , like the kids have the grandparents to teach them the heritage and other things.

I feel today, with the ego's, self centric attitudes, the jfs will become a curse to the person's involved.