Joining Office After A Break

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by pion, Oct 26, 2016.

1. pion

pion New IL'ite

I have started this thread to get feed backs and suggestions from ladies who have joined work after a long gap. I am thinking to work again after a gap of eight years. I have two kids, 8 and 5. If I work, I am planning to put them in daycare. But not sure, how to handle those hiccups and challenges once I start working. Unfortunately, till now I couldn’t find a proper timing job. Many jobs demand shifts or extended working hours, which I cannot take up now due to kids. My husband keeps saying that I will regret my decision to work in future. There will not be job satisfaction. Two of my friends are also saying the same thing. Those ladies, who joined work after break, please share your experiences here. This will be helpful for ladies like me to decide on working again. How you felt while working again? How you balanced home and worked? Your Job Satisfaction? Challenges you overcame till kids settle in daycare? What is your advice?

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP
    I have multiple and long breaks in my career but max as 2 yr . My career gaps were useless as I did not have kids. But do not feel depressed because you raised bful kids. So you were working day and night brining up kids so they can have healthier and happier life
    Now to return back to work, honestly is not easier. Moreover, you lose all your confidence which happened in my case.

Btw, which country are you in, and your visa status and your background.
    You can start some home business if you have any interests or open a boutique or bakery .
    One thing, I will say, never repent on your career break because that sadness from past hurdles your future and confidence. In your case, you have really good reason to explain.
    Friends/Family might be suggesting that because job industry has changed and become very competitive now. With so many small startups, skill/talent in market has also increased. And companies can hire cheaper skill easily as everyone is studying engineering, then coming to big cities, everyone knows basic computers and now everyone knows prgramming languages from early on.

pion likes this.
  3. pion

pion New IL'ite

Thank you sanjuruby3 for the soothing suggestions. I live in southern part of India. I worked in a software companies for 3 yrs in Testing. computer science graduate. Now I am looking for a job in non IT field. I know this testing job is horrible in terms of working hours. I am trying in admin department, but my profile is not being considered for such jobs. I am in mid thirties. Age is again a big drawback in this country. Many opening need people only under 30. Above all, my husband is not at all supporting my job hunting phase. He keeps telling girl child should be raised at home, daycares are not safe. In another 5 yrs our first daughter will be a teenager, that time again I have to decide on continuing working. I really wonder how ladies with daughters manage kids and work?

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

At 5, your daughter must be going to school and probably coming early. So in a way, your H is right. Unless you have family backing, it difficult with kids as companies have mostly longer hours + commute and you have to arrange for child after hours. Then in IT, you need to work all the time :-(
    In you want to be back in IT/Testing, you can go with smaller companies via agencies. Btw, testing has also changed and people's have to learn many frameworks and seems need to know programming/automation also.
    In US, it is slightly different. You pay and arrange from after care. Put in extra classes and there are women who quit job for same reasons.

pion likes this.