Jobs in India after a career break

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by neha1, Jan 12, 2010.

1. poornimaat

poornimaat New IL'ite

helo all,

i am Poornima.am also like Neha now,got married and came with my husband.
    now its been 1.6 yrs since i left my job.

i am planning to do certifications and plan to search in india by the month of june,but i have a doubt like will get a good salary..i have around 3.4 yrs of experience.

please let me know ur suggestions/opinions.

thanks
    Poornima

2. goodfreind

goodfreind Senior IL'ite

Hi porrnima

What kind of exp you have
    In india you have lots of job and oprtunities. So no worries

You all have talents ..but no confident..please be confident an dtry the same what you left

Let me know if anything specific you need

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hello goodfriend

Thank you for your positive post.
    I guess the problem is just confidence for most of us.
    and also, I think we may not be able to expect same salary and position after a long break(like 1 year or more). This is something we all should keep in mind.

I only hope employers do contact people like us who are not currently employed:hide:. once they contact us, it is our responsibilty to explain our situation to them and grab the job:thumbsup

4. goodfreind

goodfreind Senior IL'ite

Neha1

You do not tell taht to employer.. and employer will inform same to client
    Thera re tons of people with exp in India with no gap
    I would not do that instead there is a trick with no impact
    I cant disclose here

good luck

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

exactly. that's why it makes finding jobs in india after a gap very hard.
    here in US, I know a couple of my friends who have gone back to jobs after 3-5 years and employers are more than happy to accept them.

I hope you are not referring to fake experience on resume:bonk.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Neha/Poornima,
    The markets are picking up here. I've started seeing people getting hired by the cart loads again!
    Btw, I have multiple breaks in my career and still found it alright to find a job in India. This was at the height of the recession. Monster/Naukri didn't work as much as networking with friends and them submitting resumes to their HRs worked.
    A word of caution, I had a couple of job offers last year and each of those employers reviewed everything in my CV and contacted past employers in the US as well before handing out offers. So please don't fall for the gap filling tactics, even if friends give you ample examples of the same.

Regards,
    L

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Good to know:wow

Exactly! Filling gaps in resume with worng data might have us trapped at some point:hide:.

8. happygirl22

happygirl22 Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

I came across this post when I was searching on how a career break is.

I joined a good MNC as a fresher, and worked there for over 2.5 years. It was getting monotonous, and I wanted to look for further new avenues. I quit from there, and started to work with startup. The startup, was having some issues,and hence I had to quit in 2 months. I am now home from Jan 2010.

I attended over 4-5 interviews, got thro all of them but had issues to stick - like the pay being a hindrance or the position or at times, the timings were crazy. I am looking to study in fulltime over the next 6 months, and am applying heavily for colleges. My prob is this - I need the money now for education and at the same time, cant work for a long commitment. It hurts my ethics to say to a prospective employer, that I will be around only for 6 months. At times, I feel a tad depressed thinking about the loss I am facing.

I have never worked for money before, and more for a sense of purpose. Presently, my family is going thro some tough financial times and I am quite lost. Need some good vibes, girls!

Ha, poured it all out here!

9. goodfreind

goodfreind Senior IL'ite

Hi Neha and all

Am not saying fake experince. the trick i cannt discuss here. the trick is valuable and reasonable.
    Am not just throwing ideas on the fly. It is practical and real as i have experince in recruite/taring team etc

So all.
    No worries.. Gap is not a big deal..people will give diffrent opinions .but please think positively you have job for sure and you have furure if you ask.guide help from right people

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Neha,

Im again here...:) to tell you something which I went through.Earlier I managed to get a job as a lecturer after moving back to India (2.5yrs career gap). So, my belief is that how well we carry ourselves during an interview.Strengthen your knowledge and present yourself confidently. I know being at home makes you kind-of inferior and feel lost. But dont this let ruin your peace of mind.

Ive been there in all the phases...like you. Try to live your present and dont worry about future. If you spoil your peace of mind for unknown future, you might end up in severe depression.

While the future (your job.....very passionate isnt it) is important to you, you should lay a strong foundation for it in present date. You cannot be a winner tomorrow if you are a loser today.

Regarding mentioning the career gap in your CV, its all upto you how well you handle it. I have some friends who didnt mention career gap at all and even the employer was not really bothered to know about it.

Heres a tip I can give you from my side. When I went for the lecturer interview, I was dead scared how to face all this. I was more scared than a student writing an exam even tho I was applying for lecturer post. Just before the demo session (where I had to take a 1/2hr class in front of other judge lecturers) I gathered my courage and held myself high and voila! I got my job ! I worked for an year or so. This was my first job as a lecturer (and also the last one since we moved back to US) and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I opted part time since my son was in preschool at that time. I took a baby step instead of landing in a huge paying job. I shifted my career from book-keeping (accountant) to teaching.

No job is small or great. First you have to build a lot of confidence. You cannot be a winner outside if you are a loser inside.

I wish you all the best.