Ivf Success With Single Embryo Transfer

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Godbless8, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Godbless8

Godbless8 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I will be starting medications to undergo first IVF cycle next month hopefully. I discussed with my doctor about the possible embryo transfers that can be done in a single ET. If all goes well, 2-3 embryos can be transferred. The chance of multiple pregnancy is high in IVF cycles. Dr said that if pregnancy occurs with all 3, it can be reduced to 2 but if 2 embryos implant, it cannot be reduced to 1 as per the protocol. We are not prepared for multiple pregnancy, even for twins. Both of us stay alone and getting help is difficult. My DH also has extensive travelling job and it would be difficult for me to manage alone with office. When asked about single embryo transfer, Dr said it can be done but it will have lower success rate compared to 2 or 3 transfers. Hence i want to check if there are any ladies who had single embryo transfer and went to have a successful pregnancy. Any suggestions on this are also welcome.

2. hoping4amiracle

hoping4amiracle Gold IL'ite

There are chances that the single embryo you transfer could be your baby,but yes, there is less % of success per cycle in transferring 1 vs 2.
    I transferred 3. 2 stuck. 1 became vanishing twin..I am carrying a singleton. And most in my batch had 3 transfer,some had singleton,some had vanishing twin like me,then some had viable twins,and 1 triplet.. So 40% around chances of twins..
    Suppose out of my 3 embryos.. If I had transferred one each every time,then if by bad luck it was the ones that didn't implant chosen in the first cycle.Then I would have 2 FET failures and then 1 success.. But I was ready to risk the twin chance,so OK for me . For you,it's absolutely not possible to tc of twins..So best would be single ET for you. But you need to have patience in this case,since it depends on your luck too which embryo gets chosen to transfer in the first and upcoming cycles. If you are ready to wait then go ahead and transfer single only. But keep in mind you might be the lucky one to have the best embryo in the first FET or u may have to wait few more FETs. So all the best, wish you get success 1st time itself. tc

vanicha and Godbless8 like this.
  3. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Have you consideredgetting PGS done on the embryos? The embryos are tested for the correct number of chromosomes and the ones that pass the PGS test have higher chances of sticking.

4. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I think I can answer you qn as only one embryo was transferred in my case. But we actually didnt have a choice. 9 eggs were retrieved, only 4 fertilized, 3 made it to day 3 and only one made it to day 5. And he is now kicking me from inside :)

We had basically lost hope in my case before the transfer and my doc even suggested to go for another round of retrieval before the FET. She said we may have more embryos for transfer. But I didnt want to do more shots and delay the FET. From what I researched and read online, there is not much drop in success rate between 1 and 2 transfer.

BTW, a lot depends on what day transfer you are going to do. If it is day 3, I would suggest you to do multiple transfer, but if it is day 5, may be you could go for PGS like Elsa suggested and do single transfer itself.

But please think a lot and decide what you want to do. Really no else can tell what you need to do. Just thought of sharing my story as even I was really worried doing single transfer, but luckily it worked out for me. All the best for your IVF dear. Lots of sticky baby dust to you.

5. Godbless8

Godbless8 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you ladies for your suggestions. @hoping4amiracle and @jillcastle i have been following your journey. You deserve this happiness after all the struggle you have gone through. You have set an example for all the TTC ladies here not to lose hope. I understand that single embryo transfer would have a lower success rate but I don't see an option in my case. I need to be patient and be prepared for multiple cycles. Let's hope for the best. Leave the rest to God. Wish you both a very happy and healthy pregnancy.

Thanks @Elsa for the suggestion. I will check with my doctor.

hoping4amiracle and jillcastle like this.
  6. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

As everyone said single embryo transfer with PGS will give good result. I'm an example for that. My doctor said don't need for two. As it is already tested for you can go with one.

mbharani and Godbless8 like this.
  7. Godbless8

Godbless8 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks @Myladdu. Your post is an assuring one. I am on BCPs this month. Praying that all goes well and i go for the first cycle next month.

8. nishajeni

nishajeni New IL'ite

This is a great post and encourage for those undergoing ivf

9. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi ,I have underwent single blastocyst transfer but it was not successful.according to me single embryo transfer s little difficult to get positive results.bcos in TTC journey we will always be in frustration so we can't handle the pressure from families.so it's better if you go for multiple embryo transfer.