1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It's Al'right'

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Nov 22, 2016.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

‘Now raise your right hand’, a mom was teaching her three year old in the train.

I sat observing them. Memories came back as I closed my eyes.

At Age 7

‘Give this letter to that akka sitting right side of Mallika mam’ a senior anna handed me a letter. I nodded my head glancing at the akka.

Few hours later that anna came in search of me. His face was red with anger.

‘Whom did you give the letter to?’ he shouted at me.

‘What’s the matter? Why are you shouting at her?’ his friend who followed him asked the senior anna.

‘This girl I asked her to give the letter to Ambika , who was sitting right side of Mallika mam and she gave to our Principal’s daughter. ‘He sounded furious.

Tears came out of my eyes. My class teacher must be correct. She told me that I don’t know which side is right and which is left!

********************************************************************************

At age 16

‘You are riding fine.’ My brother who was sitting teaching me to drive two wheeler told me as I was driving.

‘Gee thanks’ I said feeling proud.

‘Switch on the indicator and turn right’ he told me.

Bang. Next thing I know is that I and my brother were thrown in road. Driver of the car who came behind us was shouting ‘Why did you put indicator in left side and turn right?’

‘You still don’t know which side is right and which is left’ my brother asked me attending the scratches in his hand.

‘I know but still don’t know spontaneously.’ I gave a sheepish reply.

‘God save others when you drive’ he declared.

******************************************************************************

At age 25

‘Tell me you are joking. I can’t believe it. Look at the mess it has created.’ My boss was shouting at me.

Last evening while I was starting home, he asked me to send a clarification mail on behalf of him and I did the same. Based on my mail, a defect was fixed. Now the problem was he has told me some validation when the amount is lesser than the limit and in a hurry I wrote >.

‘No. I’m serious. That’s the reason I generally write in words .’ I replied deeply embarrassed by my mistake.

I remember in class two teacher taught me ‘Originates from left hand..Lesser than’ but as usual in my left, right side confusion I got it wrong.

******************************************************************************

As I opened my eyes I could recollect several incidents caused because of my left, right side mishap. I still get it wrong few times.

Mom in the train compartment was saying, ‘ No that’s left hand. Raise your right hand.’ She looked at me and said he is confusing between right and left side.

I wondered whether the kid will get the sides correct. But what if he doesn’t ?

It’s al’right’!

After all not everybody knows everything. I survived all these years not knowing the sides correctly. If I can so can the kid..

sindmani, whistle, VaniVyas and 18 others like this.
  2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

humm....very enlightening snippet.

Infact I am now able to understand about my little one. He has this left right confusion.

Every single time when wearing shoes he always manages to wear it wrong and with a proud smile looks at me. Most of the times, I correct him patiently, sometimes I get frustrated and scold him. There are times too, I just smile and say its ok dear to get it wrong and bend down correct his mistake.

He is confused with writing the numbers 2, 3 and 5, the alphabet L. Mostly he gets it right...but sometimes I am not sure why but he misses it completely and writes it the exact opposite of the letter. I have been reading about Dyslexia and I don't think its acute in his case.

my H says to make him practice it more and more until he understands he gets it. It seems to be working at the moment though!

maalti, Laxmikrsnan and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

It indeed happens with me.. not for left / right .. But yes For push / pull ;-)

kaniths and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. blackbeauty84

Thanks Beautiful life. I'm glad if it has been of some use to you.

I have had all the problems like writing letters in reverse form , messing up shoe sides etc...It became better with course of time. Your son will get it right eventually

5. blackbeauty84

Yeah that's another common problem :)

6. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

Hi BB,

Nice nostalgic post!

Seems am not sailing alone. :)

Even yesterday when my husband wanted me to look at right side of the road, i looked at left and was searching for him :p

Cheers
    Sweetlife

ksuji likes this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Nice snippet. I also suffer from left right confusion. Initially while learning driving, my H used to tell me to take right and i used to prepare for a left turn with the left indicator on. Even now also if I am exiting from the other side of the freeway, I get confused whether to take a left turn or a right turn. GPS has been a great savior for me.

8. blackbeauty84

You are not at all alone!!I know n number of people who have this problem. Nowadays my hubby assumes 'Left' when i say 'Right'.

Onesweetlife likes this.
  9. blackbeauty84

Seriously I get confused while driving and I often make wrong turns. Glad GPS is helping you!

10. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Nice write-up BB! Glad to see so many here like me! My embarrassing moment would be my journey from office to home in office cab. I always tell the wrong direction to my street - I will show the left side with my hand and say 'Anna! right anna right!' and then my cabmates will correct it. Fearing this, my regular cab mates jump in and guide the driver before I could open my mouth to give directions!

meepre likes this.