Itching And Hives During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Positivity02, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Positivity02

Positivity02 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    I'm 5 months pregnant. I have been experiencing itching all over my body since last month. It happens mostly during night. When I scratch in my sleep I get hives making it more itchy. Due to this, I am losing sleep many nights.
    I have been to GYN & dermatologist. They say it might be any allergy and it's difficult to pin point. They ask me to take Benadryl and gave some creams. Benadryl helps to get some sleep and reduces itching. Though it's safe in pregnancy I don't want to take it everyday.
    When the itching started last month, the hives were very bad and I used get it everyday. Then, i made a routine to use grandpa's tar soap, moisturize my body with coconut oil few times (esp before sleep), not to go out in the sun, bath in cold or lukewarm water etc., Now, it's little bit better but I'm not relieved completely.
    Has anyone faced this during pregnancy? Can you please advise what gave you relief?

2. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

It's quite common during pregnancy...but it may be due to food allergies als.. mostly peanuts will cause to itching...try to check what you are having in your food... some times some veggies als cause itching...
    And if it is not because of food try mamaearth body oil which will give relief from itching...
    And due to skin sagging and more blood flow you may feel itchiness...
    Take care .. FB_IMG_1562208099796.jpg FB_IMG_1562208099796.jpg

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I had the same.
    Doctor had to give me medicine to sleep.
    I used calamine lotion for relief.
    It went away after a few weeks.

I used to slather the lotion all over my body ,wear extremely loose clothes.

4. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Don't want to scare you but too much itching is not good. Your doctor should have asked you for a blood test. there could be chances of you having bile in your blood. Please speak to your doctor about the same. I had similar symptoms and later they found bile in my blood. better to treat it internally.

5. Positivity02

@Janakinarne , thanks for the response. I have tried to eliminate foods & include to figure out if it's food allergy but the itching has been random. I will try the other remedies, thanks.

@yellowmango , I will check with my Dr & try the calamine lotion, thanks!

6. Positivity02

Hi, I will check with my Dr about this. When did the symptoms start for you? I read online that usually liver related itching starts in third trimester and it's usually without rashes. Mine started from 16 weeks. Initially, after 2 weeks of itching , it reduced considerably for a week and then started again. I'm not sure if I did or eat something to trigger it. As long as it doesn't affect my baby, I am trying to be strong and tolerate it .