1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It is possible for a grown up man to NOT understand what is going on behind his back?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Tugga, Jan 31, 2012.

1. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Re: It is possible for a grown up man to NOT understand what is going on behind his b

Tugga,
    I did not know that you had so much history (havent read your previous posts). But whatever you have done to make your husband realise is working out. Your husband, I think is in the stage where he has accepted his life is in a mess and is trying to rectify. I dont understand your question = "Can i trust him?" A person who can hardly take care of himself cannot be trusted with anything. So, you have to be your independent and practical self until he is back on track. Dont feel too much pity. Help him out but dont baby him due to his sorry state. I have heard from IL iteself. "Treat your man like a man and not a baby/child".

2. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Re: It is possible for a grown up man to NOT understand what is going on behind his b

Dear Priya

Thanks for the reply, I liked the way you understands things from different points of view... But for your above question... I have a different answer.. May be I am wrong here.

I had helped my family by all the possible ways, that includes financial assistance prior to my marriage. I never thought that I need to save my pre marriage earnings for "MY FUTURE FAMILY". My FOO was my immediate family then, so I did everything as much as I could. But after marriage, there were days where my FOO was in a tight financial situation for some days after my dad's sudden demise. The accounts were not properly managed, hence my mom had a bad time with the bank to recover everything. Those days, I end up supporting them financially, but it was not like unlimited money transfers. Be it a gift for my sister's wedding, or shopping or whatever it is, I made my husband aware of my expenses and got his permission prior to spend them. Moreover I used my hard earned money for those expenses and not from his savings.. Above all, I had limitations as to how much I could do to my extended family, so I didnt cross my lines. Moreover, my parents have returned most of loans (actually I gave them as a support, but they took it as a loan for the time being) once the bank matters were cleared up.

But his case is different... I am aware that he used to support his family on various things such as buying expensive gifts, furniture etc..etc.. I am aware that he spent a lot for his younger brother's studies and the elder one's visa processing matters.
    I never questioned him about them though all the expenses were made by my earnings from the joint acc (those days I thought its our money and not just mine). But I am upset as to why he has to spend our money for such unlimited needs and also without my knowledge. Its like he has taken such a huge money for their luxury demands from my account without informing me plus he has been doing the regular helps/gifts like me with my knowledge.

Anyway, past is past... There is no point in asking deep questions about this matter.. But as you said, I have come to a conclusion that my hubby must have made this mistake to win his parent's long lost love and he must have used my blinded love for granted. His selfishness, and his irresponsibility nature must have added more fuel to this fire. Besides my MIL's cunning moves and interference and my FIL's demands have made everything clumsy. If my DH is a reasonable person, things would have been different... But it is his nature that has made all the damages.

I have clearly explained this to him... He seems understanding... But the rest is still a question mark?
    Though my parents were financially well off than his, there were days where my parents needed extra help.

3. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Tugga, why don't you try to take him to a doctor, and see if he really suffers from something ? Because I found you describing some strange behaviour of his many times in your posts. Or have you already consulted but found nothing ? Or does he not accept for the consultation ?

I think you should give it a try or maybe even force him to see a doctor, Tugga.

4. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Initially I wanted to suggest him see a doctor, but i never had enough guts to say it openly. I knew that he was so unpredictable, hence anything could happen if I ask for something of that sort. Also, there were so many ego and MIL manipulative issues, so there was no way that I could find to make him consult a doctor.

But now, he is with me... and says that he is ready to cut off the ties with my in laws. His vulnerable state is a great chance for me to fix his mental issues. Last night I made him understand that he has changed a lot... His hair style, dressing, the way of talks, style everything has been changed. A couple of years back my husband looked like a Hero, but now he looks like a very old poor villager.. I mean the dressing, shaving, talks and style... I asked him why? He said he doesnt know, but accept the changes.

Also, earlier he is very tempered person.. No one dare to talk to him on negative things, even me too.. But now, he doesnt care of any talks, even if it is an insult.. He forgets them and start talking nicely with the person who insulted him... This is strange na?

On this ground, I have asked him to consult a doctor... He didnt say anything, but I am going to talk abt it soon once again without hurting his ego...

5. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Also, earlier he is very tempered person.. No one dare to talk to him on negative things, even me too.. But now, he doesnt care of any talks, even if it is an insult.. He forgets them and start talking nicely with the person who insulted him... This is strange na?
    Tugga
    this sounds like depression.. he needs help
    K

6. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

I think I can understand Tugga. You know my FIL suffers from schizophrenia, and I see him sitting idle whole day literally, he sleeps most of the time, does no household work and very very little outside work. I see him so pale, weak and dishevelled nowadays. And I feel so surprised. Surely he must have been a fine man when he got married. I wonder what went wrong, and how all their years went by resulting in this finally. :|

There are still days when my FIL behaves unexpectedly and its my MIL who manages him all the time, making him visit doctors, feeding him medicines on time etc.

I know it must be tough for your husband to accept that he has to see a doctor, but since he is with you now, you can try and make him understand that it is just a general checkup or a counselling session and it will help you for a better tomorrow.

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Exactly!!No two persons can be the same.Accept the way he is(no one can change other person) and help him to become more responsable.

I am just telling from my experience.Me and my husband had hell lot of differences.As long he negative critisium me for the mistakes then I hate him to core and don't even show any interst to work on things..When he try to help me with positive feedback or we can work together kind of attitude then I try to look into issue and try to improve the things.

If your husband behaved the same way like you then you wouldn't have this whole struggle right.Wife and Husband do learn things from each other and as long as there positive attitude realtion will grow up day by day.
    If everyday life becomes only pointing other mistakes then the relation will degrade day by day.

8. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

After the deep discussion with me, he now tries to come out... He has agreed to change his dressing and hair style. Also he has started making efforts to apply for jobs. This sounds nice for the time being.

He apologized for all the mistakes,specially his responsibilities towards me and kid when my MIL abused us verbally and emotionally. Also understood that he never tried to behave like a reasonable husband by taking the responsibility of our home. Its enough for me.. I thought just the understanding it self is enough to prevent future mistakes on the same grounds.

But after a few hours, he started talking about inviting his brothers over here for a party and then visiting his parents home with my kid and stuff like that. He was so casual though, but it made me feel like hell... How can a normal person to even imagine such a mingling stuff after understanding all these issues and my hatrat feelings towards them? He looks so responsible and not understanding now... Looks like a small boy who can not take such a huge matters into his head, but due to the circumstances he nods his head towards me.

Oh.. God.. When I got upset for this, he apologized again and said he didnt think about it seriously, but will discuss anything with me before doing it, so I can correct him accordingly... and he will listen to me... God..

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Strong and clear men/ women know what they want to do and will do... irrespective of situations around them and they take initiatives to fix the issue.

On contrary.. there are under confident / unclear ones... who cannot take a stand, but carry a lot of resentment for the decisions being made... gen an emtional man surrounded by a strong wife and mother.... becomes a puppet for one and a ferocious canine for another... if these 2 women are not at same wavelength.

You may spend time clarifying doubts and showing your view point and he may nod to everything.. you may feel everything is fixed... but the next moment you'll realise .. its a waste of time/ energy... cos the truth is he's getting brainwash/ insights everytime he interacts with the 2 inevitable ladies of his life and they are talking opposite... his brain will only fuse.... its like if you play with an electronic gadget... keep switching it on and off.. it shall have a short circuit.

2 people like this.
  10. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Dear Tugga,
    You keep try talking to him. Make him understand his responsibilities. Action speak louder than words. Ask him to take any decent job till he gets of his choice. Tell that you expect him to take care of you and children. For that he have to earn so that he can feed you ppl, pay bills....

Say clearly that you dont want to listen anything about his family side. He first need to build relation with you and settle in life with you and then he can have normal relation with his ppl otherwise you will be back to square 1.

1 person likes this.