Isn't the food given to the needy, is the food offered to God?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by alekya1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. alekya1

alekya1 Gold IL'ite

I claim, this post is not meant to offend anyone.

I am not against any religion. And, let me assure you all that, I strongly believe in God and follow my religion as much as I can from the bottom of my heart. But, one thing that I am concerned about is - In order to be granted prosperity and happiness, we set before God, milk, fruits and even prepared food and thank Him for the food that He provides. But, What is the need of offering food to God while God himself is feeding the world as per puranas?

The food used in the rituals (enough to feed a family for a week) was thrown into the river. This is the most unsettling bit because it not only wastes food but pollutes the water as well. When I was younger, I didn't pay any attention to this. But as I grow up, it irks when I used to see all this.

Looks like a practice of wasting edible food in these rituals. There is not any problem if it was done a couple to three times a day by the priest. But, we see hundreds of people offering litres of milk upon idols at the temples. Also, tons of fruits which most of the time get rotten by the end of the day and cannot be even used as a prasad for the next day. Can this practice not be replaced by offering the food and milk to the starving poor?

Could it be that in a nation consisting a lot one-meal per day families , wasting food is considered a privilege, even an 'honor' in such practises?

I am not implying anything against the practice of offering food to GOD and I very much understand the importance of this practice.

6 people like this.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I understand your question well. I m just like you. Those days, they gave Prasadam because people came from all over the area. There was no restaurant to eat.
    Throwing food In the water is supposed to feed the fish etc. I was told by someone who got mad at me for asking the question.
    Pouring the milk, honey and ghee Re not good practice according to me. But people say when they attend the ritual, it gives them very positive energy.
    That is all I know. Let us wait for someone to answer your question.

2 people like this.
  3. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

If somebody is getting peace of mind,let them do it,about milk offered to god we get it as prasad in our place,we take it and be happy.

4. alekya1

alekya1 Gold IL'ite

But the thing that I'm more concerned about is the food, I mean the tons of fruits sitting beside the idols all day, gets rotten.

5. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Omg- oh my god.......!!!!

3 people like this.
  6. alekya1

alekya1 Gold IL'ite

Of course. I won't stop them. It was just my concern.

7. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Alekya 1 I understand your concern and feel your pain - in fact I am very much against food wastage in general....It breaks my heart when I go to restaurant with friends and a lot of them waste food, I squirm and want to say something but my husband gives me the side eye to keep quiet!

8. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Not really sure which region temples are those, but in temples that I mostly visit, they give away those fruits as prasadams to us. We offer food or fruits to GOD, not because HE doesnt have it or needs those. When it is offered to GOD, it comes back to us as Prasadams, its value , quality increases and this purifies our mind and soul.
    According to Bhagavatham, the kind of food that we eat, provokes that kind of thoughts. i.e., if we have Satvik type of food, our thoughts will also be of satvik in nature.So. things offered to GOD, will bring in good thoughts which will lead to good deeds.
    Certain rituals mentioned in our scriptures have a definite purpose and maybe over a period of time, we have lost its significance. i.e., it might have been of some importance then, but now no longer, for example, cleaning our doorstep and courtyard with cow-dung.. it was very important in those days because it will keep insects and flies at bay.. But in todays times, where can one do that in an apt / flat..

Please note that I too oppose to thousands of litres of milk being wasted , while lakhs are famished.
    Lets see if anybody else can get a reference of this from our scriptures and quote here.

1 person likes this.
  9. Eraser

Eraser Silver IL'ite

You want to give to needy since otherwise it is being wasted? hypothetically, If god eats or food doesn't get wasted, then you are OK with what they do? Not giving to needy is OK?
    Basically you want to donate (and show off), so you want needy. Not because there are needy and so you want to donate.

There's a huge difference. If you truly feel, needy are there and require your help - why ritual at all? Please don't think needy deserves those that you waste.

10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I get your pain, Alekya !! It is difficult to see food being wasted when there are so many deserving hungry needy people in the world!!

But that said,

The food that is offered to the Gods is always distributed as prasadam in the annadanam in most temples, I dont think they're wasted... the fruits and milk and honey and oil are all distributed from the prasadam office !

Milk and other liquids poured on the idols are also bottled because they are supposed to have medicinal value for those with faith!

The food that is offered in various other rituals like death ceremonies etc are offered to birds and animals, and they are supposed to clear a lot of karmas.

When you see the ghee or honey poured into the fire for the yagna - it is supposed to be food for the ethereal beings - these beings, if pacified and are happy, they bring lots of happiness and peace to the people living in that place and they eat through smell, not by taste !!!

I'm not justifying or condoning the waste, but just telling you the explanation for it :)

And not to compare or anything, but even in non-religious events, a lot of food is wasted. We need to be responsible about it.

I've heard that food wasted in a single day in the US can feed an entire third world country for 3 days !!!

For the parties or functions that we host or attend, do we ensure that the remaining food is distributed ? If we start at this level probably we can at least influence the people who attend our functions to redistribute in their parties :)

2 people like this.