Is Vedanta Relevant in present day life ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Deear Kamala,
    Thanks for reviving an old, but a very meaningful thread.:bowdown
    it is sad that the very word vedanta is labelled as dry & necessary to understand (ofcourse if at all), after you retire from active life! :-(
    No, no, no. I now feel, if I had understood the basic few principles of vedanta earlier in my life, I might have been a happier person to relate with, for others!
    We realise that
    Accepting people & situations as they are, without expecting them to change, but changing our perspective to them, helps us greatly.
    Never be judgemental about others. That is a fundamental mistake we make.
    Both these, to start with, give us serenity of mind. I now feel, learning vedanta has made me happy with myself with all my iimperfections.
    As you read more threads, more beauty of our dhrma will unfold before you!!:)
    Love,
    C

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your response Chitra ma'am.
    You are right about the two things which are also part of my values with which I live or try to. Accepting people for what they are and being non-judgmental.

Hope I did not come through to you as judgemental of the "vedanta" group. While at first I was put off by their attitude, in retrospect I accepted that they may have various reasons for keeping the group that way.

However, my thirst to learn Vedanta never quit. I also tried to read the Upanishads but it was very complicated for me. Now with your posts to help I am sure I will understand the book better.

3. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear CV,

Thanks for this lovely thread. Nowadays we don't find much knowledge of this reaching the today's generations. I am happy that you take the time and patience to explain to us. Thanks :)

Yes, Accepting people as they are and nonjudgemental! That is easy to say, difficult to practice.

I like to read your posts in culture a alot. I am just a beginner here. But madam, can I ask you why your posts are so small about vedanta? Please give us longer posts so that we can learn more.

Thanks a lot again for your efforts:)

4. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Dear Aunty,
    A million thanks for posting a seemingly difficult topic in a simple manner. This has really piqued up my interest in the subject. While I eagerly wait for your next chapter, I plan to do a bit of reading on this as well.

5. Chitvish

Dear Preethi,
    Whatever is ultimately good for us, is seemingly difficult to follow, to start with!
    But we must have perseverence & we will succeed!

Even to read such short posts, there are very few takers. That is the curse with vedanta, Perhaps. If I write a longer post I will have to be only beatng around the bush. But any post needs 3-4 readings to start understanding!!
    There are so many threads - please click on the culture links below my signature.
    Thanks for coming here.
    Love,
    C

6. Chitvish

Dear Raji,
    Thanks.
    This was posted in 2006 & was followed by more threads on the topic. Please read them.
    Love,
    C

7. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi CV mam,

Yes its true, I am trying to follow certain things from this new year onwards. Perseverance, yes, i should develop more:)

sometimes, we tend to loose heart after trying it few times.:bonk

8. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear mami,

You have very beautifully explained the basic essence of life as sukha prapthi and dukha nivrithi and your reply to kKrish that accepting people and situations as they are and being non judgemental , was like a jewel on the crown. If only I could practice these two, my whole lot of problems with whomsover it matters would have vanished. But it is very difficult to implement that. How should one cultivate that? Do we need to always contemplate on this thought when we interact with others ?

9. Chitvish

Dear Radhi,
    It is not easy to straight away practise these principles. The awareness of them & an interest to implement them, is the first step.
    Ths starts growing on you & we realise that accepting some unchangeable people & situations, places less strain on you than resisting them!!
    To be non-judgemental has to be cultivated 'consciously' for our own peace of mind!!!
    I admire your interest in these abstract ideas!!
    Love,
    C