Is Udacity Nanodegree Worth It?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by shravs3, Apr 27, 2018.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Hello all,
    I have 5 years of Experience in IT back in India . Had to quit my job after moving to US. I was working as a Java developer. During my 4th year I changed my company and the project which I had worked on was outdated project which was almost 15 years and it was support project which I got to know only after joining the company . So I totally lost interest in Java wen I was working there. But now I’m really confused whether should I continue in Java or move to something which adds value to my resume .
    And also I’m worried in getting job here with just Bachelors degree.
    I sometimes plan to move to Automation testing but sometimes my mind is like go with Development . Never had I been so confused with my career.

Recently checked Full stack web development Nanodegree program from Udacity . Is it worth it and will it help to get a job without any project experience ?

And I’m not getting any calls when I apply directly in companies website directly ? I really don’t understand the reason .

Now the only option left is consultancy I’m unsure if they help to find a job cos I have seen many negative reviews where they take money and don’t even bother later .

And I don’t feel like doing Masters also.
    I’m sure I need to upgrade my skills but confused with wat to choose .
    I’m really worried need guidance from others .

Sandycandy likes this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Here's a discussion on this from Quora -- https://www.quora.com/Are-Udacity-Nanodegrees-worth-it-for-finding-a-job

A nanodegree will not make up for a Masters degree but they can be worth it when paired with a diverse project portfolio. Most Udacity nanodegrees will include a few projects. Working on a freelance project or volunteering for an opensource project will give you a leg up during an interview. Create a GitHub repository of your Udacity projects, add a personal project or two and you should be in pretty good shape.

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

4. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Shravs ... As Gauri states, Nano degree alone doesnt help. You can pick up a few freelancing projects alongside or work with someone who is doing freelancing . You need to ensure you have good contacts to catch up with freelancing which otherwise is quite difficult. Only after starting from bits do you get good projects from these sites. I would rather suggest you to start with the course initially and then slowly dive in for projects.

Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Not in IT but know enough folks in web development . Some with a bachelors
    degree and most seem to be doing reasonably well . Not sure about udacity though.
    You can also look up good online masters programs from reputable universities .
    There are lot of quick boot camp web development programs too that provide placement support. So look those up as well.

shravs3 likes this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Archu and Sandy !

7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I vote for doing a formal M.S program. If cost is a constraint check if you can do some coursework at a community college and transfer credits to grad school. Grad program will not only give you an OPT but also place you at an advantage in H1B pool besides giving you an edge over other candidates in the marketplace terms of credibility.

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Is it not risky ? Considering the latest H1B changes . I know someone whose H1B got rejected inspite of doing MS here.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  9. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Once you enter the H1 B lottery system everything is risky. It is risky even going through a consultant. Even large corporations cant guarantee h1b visa. But STEM degree holders with M.S / Ph D degree from USA have a seperate pool of H1B visas that cannot be allocated to those without that degree. There are also seperate categories for employers who are educational institutions or NGOs. So be smart and try to improve your odds.

shravs3 and Rihana like this.