1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is today Varalotti Day ??!!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,
    I just posted a thread on Varalotti's story, which has appeared in
    http://deccanherald.com/deccanherald...1920061028.asp

Just now, the Tamil newspapers arrived, rather late, - Chennai is flooded, thanks to heavy rains, but lack of civic amenities !

To my surprise, what do I see in Varamalar, the weekly edition of Dinamalar ?
    Our own Varalotti's ( Sridhar, next only to your family, you belong to us, I L ites ) story "Nerthikadan".

It is the tamil version of "The Scandal" which has appeared in
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181

Friends, I will not punish you all with my review all over again ! I can hear you all mumbling " Chithra, you and your reviews. Enough is enough" !

Sridhar, I cannot but mention that the tamil version is really " pramaadam".
    The language is typically and very much Brahminical, but fits the story perfectly. The title " nerthi kadan" and the story are just made for eachother.

Great going, Sridhar ! Keep up the speed !!

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Chitra

Dear Chitra,
    Thanks a ton for finding our Sridhar so often. Reading more of his stories is making me more addictive to his writings.
    Sridhar, God bless you with a mightier pen for more stories. Just one doubt...I wish Sharmaji had mentioned about this incident to Lakshmi much earlier. I believe in NO SECRETS between the spouse.

Regards
    USHA

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Usha, let us agree to disagree !

It is practically very difficult to follow NO SECRETS between the spouses !

The sentences “ No more words were exchanged between them. But both felt comfortable in each other’s company” show that Kamala and Sharma have struck a beautiful emotional chord with each other. This suggests that a deep friendship is possible between a man and a woman irrespective of the gender difference or the status as a husband or wife. This is a beautiful view point of the author, which is very relevant in today's life, where men and women are closely associated in all spheres of life.
    But, Usha, I think, no man or woman , inspite of trust in eachother, will accept a friendship of his or her spouse, with the other sex, whole heartedly. This is an undeniable, eternal truth.

I will not use the word "secrets", but "compartmentalisation" in our thoughts, has become inevitable in today's life. This, I say, not only with regard to friendship, but with regard to so many things. I would prefer the way V R wrote in his "Brother's keeper" - Not telling truth, but not a lie at the same time.
    It becomes unavoidable, under certain circumstances.

Sridhar, please excuse me, for using this post, as a platform to share my thoughts with Usha.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Here's the Link, Please Read the Story In Tamil

Thanks a ton Chitra for posting the information. Usha, you have raised a good question. Let's discuss it later.
    But meanwhile please read the story in Tamil. This story jells better with Tamil than with English. When the story The Scandal was posted a shrewed ILite commented that it looks like a Tamil Story has been translated into English.
    Here is the link for reading the story in Tamil.
    It is the third story in the page entitled Nerthikkadan.

http://www.dinamalar.com/2006oct29varamalar/Sirukathai.asp

regards,
    sridhar

5. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Mr.Sridhar's Journey to Fame!

Just now finished reading The Scandal and A writer's journey to fame. Both are excellent stories! As some one had said before The Scandal's theme is suitable for writing in Tamil..( since you wrote in English I could read it!. thanks).
    A writer's........... really carries a very good message.. Some acquainted ladies consider me as a stranger when I tell them to read some thing good, while they spend most of the time in front of the Television , watching serials!

6. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Baesh Baesh Romba Nana Irukku

Sridhar,
    ippadi asaththaraeley!! pugazha varthaiyey illai..

USHA

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

The Game of Life.

Dear Sridhar,

Read the Tamil version of 'The Scandal' in Varamalar.
    First of all, now that you are our star writer, I didn't feel good that your story appeared with other short stories!! But inspite of it, it shone as the special gem among the stories.
    It felt really good to read the same English story in Tamil, suddenly the story and its characters took on a special aura and significance. The appropriate Tamil accent paints fresh hues to the story and it felt like I was reading a new story altogether. At the same time, please keep writing in English as many more can appreciate your works in the English language!
    Your characters possess very strong ideologies and traits. I wonder if people like Shankarasahstrigal and Lakshmi really exist! I can very well empathise with the son's angst, but I wonder if I will ever be a wife like Lakshmi! How can she not even question her husband's acts and treat him with so much cool compassion!! A touching little story which did not lose its charm even on repeated reading:)

L, Kamla

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I am touched, Kamla

Dear Kamla,

I am touched by your very act of devoting time to reading your story. I know how precious your time is, especially now when your granddaughter demands the most of it. Whatever little time you could spare you used it on hunting the font, downloading and installing it and then read the story. I feel honoured, Kamla.

It is difficult to translate stories like Nerthikkadan into English without diluting the impact. Imagine reading Macbeth in Tamil. The story will still be good but the majesty will be lost. Same is the case with this one.

Chitra after reading the Tamil Version of Scandal and A Writers Way to Fame has commented that I write better in Tamil. And there are readers who have read some English stories and Tamil stories and swear that my English is any day better than Tamil.

Language is only a container and the story is the content. Though container is of no importance at times it does add to or mar the taste of food. For example you cant eat ice cream spread on a plantain leaf. But sambar sadam on a plantain leaf tastes far better than on a paper plate.

In Madurai there is one restaurant where they use only mud vessels for cooking. The taste is different.

As to Lakshmi's character she belongs to an earlier age where the wife treated her Husband as God. And the beauty of this story the Husband of the story lived up to her expectations.

If a lady who is a software engineer working for Infosys behaves like that Lakshmi then we should doubt her mental faculty. But characters like Lakhsmi belong to a much earlier generation and their pure innocence and absolute belief in their husband is their ticket to charm.

Thanks once again,
    sridhar

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

What can I say!

Such lofty words from you Sridhar, I am grateful to you. It humbles me. Imagine, you write wonderfully and even direct our attention to those words. Do you think it is a big deal to make some time to read what has been presented to us on a golden platter?? It has been all my pleasure, thanks to you. Your lovely stories and articles add the salt and pepper to my otherwise routine daily life and its chores:)

L, Kamla

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

and what can I add?

Kamla, Sridhar,

Two of the wonderful members of IL- both blessed with a way with words.

Kamla, what can I add to your appreciation abt Varalotti? He is easily the best writer ever.

Varalotti, read all your posts in IL and all the various published versions from Deepavali Malar to Dinamalar to DH. All fab. Way to go!

And Kamla, you should start writing too. Look forward to reading more than posts from you.

Still on borrowed internet. (A bit scared to use the word 'mooching' - though it is of English lingo)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007