Is thyroid affect to getting pregnant?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Myththangavel, May 10, 2012.

1. Myththangavel

Myththangavel Junior IL'ite

Hi I have been ttc for 3yrs and my doctor suggested iui with clomid this cycle... Today my nurse called me and told me that I have thyroid... I don't know exactly its hypo or hyper thyroid.. I am not over weight and my period is quite regular like 28to 32 days...she told the normal range of thyroid is 0.4 to 3 and my thyroid value is 4.5 :bonk and my doctor prescribed thyroid medication and they ask me to come for blood test after 3weeks... I asked my nurse whether this thyroid value affect my iui and she told it wont and you take clomid and go for iui... My doctor also told thyroid not affect to get pregnant ... Now I'm worried... Pls friends tell me is thyroid affect to getting pregnant? Can I go for iui this cycle?... Waiting for your replies....

2. injustice

injustice Bronze IL'ite

No worries dear, i had thyroid i am pregnant....

I had iui, failed but soon after iui i got pregnant. Goodluck to you.

I had hypothyroid took medicine still taking synthyroid.

It wont effect until you take tab.

Dont worry.

3. allzwel

allzwel New IL'ite

I have hypothyroidism and on synthroid..TTC for 5 months.. from what I have heard so far it may delay getting pregnant but there are always exceptions..be positive..everything will be fine..

4. jogu07

jogu07 Gold IL'ite

Dear Myththangavel....If your TSH is below the normal levels it is Hyper thyroid which means overactive thyroid and levels more than the normal levels indicate hypothyroid which means underactive thyroid...!!! Every lab has different normal levels, however the standard normal level ranges from 0.5 to 5, however docs suggest that the levels should be around 2 to 2.5 to conceive as the foetus thrives on mother's glands for first three months during pregnancy hence it is advisable that the levels are well within control...!!!

The levels do affect a little however if you conceive with the elevated levels it is harmful for the baby hence docs advice that it shou;d be well within the control limits before you start TTC, also you would need to monitor your levels on a regular basis so that the doses can be adjusted accordingly...!!!

Having said that, with regular medication the same can be achieved and pregnancy can be normal, have a lot of friends who have conceived and delivered with thyroid so do not worry or stress as stress is a killer and it may contribute in elevating your levels so just be calm and leave the rest to Almighty...!!!

Good luck, God bless and loads of baby dust to you...!!!

5. Mimosa

Mimosa Silver IL'ite

Hi!
    Am in the same boat as you, TTC for just 5 months but just wanted to have a few tests done and have similar TSH value of 4.5, alongwith elevated parathyroid hormone. Even i am in a fix whether to TTC this cycle or not; i guess since i have been referred to an endo (the apptmt is in a few weeks), maybe i need medication. Have u started taking the medication? I will be interested to know ur result after 3 weeks, as then i will know how much time the levels take to lower. What dose are u put on?
    I think if the doc says to go ahead with TTC, just go with it, but do insist on being closely monitored...
    Good luck!!

6. Myththangavel

Myththangavel Junior IL'ite

Hi Mimosa

i'm also consulting endocrinologist and he prescribed medication and yet to receive the medications from pharmacy... My nurse told me doctor prescribed only low dosage and take medication and come for blood test after 3weeks... After the blood test dr will decide to increase the dosage or not... So now i'm waiting for the medication... but my dr told iui this cycle.. I'm in full confusion with this thyroid problem iui work or not....

7. jogu07

jogu07 Gold IL'ite

Your levels will not hinder your chances of getting pregnant with iui however your levels need to be monitored closely for the betterment of the foetus once you conceive..!!!