1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this really necessary?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by lampdeepa, Jun 25, 2012.

1. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    This is my first attempt to write, as I always feel that I can never express my feelings in words. This is just an attempt to get over the fobia of writing :)
    Today as I was doing my regular chores in the kitchen my thoughts wandered over something. Just putting them in words. Mind you not to hurt anyone’s feelings.
    One of my closest relative touches her husband’s feet as the first thing in the morning, and when I got to know of it, I was really shocked. :hide: I respect our tradition and culture I do wear a mangalasutra, bindi, bangles and toe ring. But touching my husband’s feet (everyday) is something beyond myself. To be frank in my 8 years of marriage not even once have I touched my husband’s feet, more over my husband doesn’t like me touching his feet. :bowdown
    It is not that I am against all these, but what I fail to understand is:bonk , do such women really do this out of respect towards their husband? Or is it more of a showoff kind of a thing or something out of tradition or custom or may be just out of habit? I feel it is more of a showoff kind of a thing, because I know many women who on the one hand are always shouting or taunting their husband over some thing or the other and then on the other hand do pooja’s for their husband’s long life and touch their feet in the mornings and during festivals :crazy. So is it more of a habit or a custom or tradition? Why is this done at all? I mean touching husband’s feet n all that.
    It is more important to respect the person than following rituals, the most important relationship between husband and wife is Love ,trust, understanding and compatibility. No one is superior or inferior to the other one. More than being husband or wife we are human beings. God made the difference with some intention and not as one is superior to the other & one has to fall to an other's feet :notthatway:.
    According to me we only have to bow down to God and our parents and no one else. :exactly:

Thanks for reading this post.
    Love,
    Deepa

honeybee and swaran like this.

2. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Hey deepa, Nicely written :). Even i totally don't agree to this. Ours was a love marriage and my hubby is 4 months elder to me. What i feel is love and respect should be shown in actions and deeds not by these things .
    One of my aunt eats in the same plate as husband. Imagine he would have finishes curd rice and she starts eating sambhar again that too in this generation,She did this once when me and my mom were there. Dunno whether its a show off ;-).

1 person likes this.
  3. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I agree with you. In addition to this, I also feel that DILs calling MIL,FIL as mom and dad are also show off. because I have seen the same DILs bad mouthing their PILs leading me to doubt whether they really mean it. just one thing, if your friend does the act inside her bedroom where no one sees her, then it could be out of custom. we all believe in mangalsutra,bagles,bindis etc as marriage symbols and we have adopted it. sameway she might have been following this as one of the custom of her marriage.

1 person likes this.
  4. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Hi Divya,
    Thx for the first FB and encouraging me to write. I wish your aunt had a better taste how can anyone start eating in a used plate.

thanks
    Deepa

5. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Hey I agree with you, calling your PIL's as mom n dad is a complete show off, or may be to impress them initially.
    In my relative's case I truly dont know if it is inside her bedroom or where, but I know for sure that she thinks her husband is superior than her and she should be like Sati Savithri kinds or she atleast behaves like that. I guess she has come from a different world. I always say her that she is an educated Illitrate.

Thanks
    Deepa

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OK thread is really old, but such a meaty topic. : )

"Is this really necessary" -- one man's treasure is another's junk. Some women won't wear bindi, mangalsutra. Some wear it when unavoidable.

If a woman wants to touch her husband's feet every morning, for whatever reason, so be it. If she is being forced to, then, perhaps one can try to help.

A couple can have some practices that work for them. Maybe each time the man goes to the market, he gets her jasmine flowers. Neighbor ladies will see and ask each other "Is this really necessary?" :)

Amica likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is just a habit.It may not be a show off.This has nothing to do with regard or respect.
    In fact there is no mantra for mangalya Dharanam and it is not a vedic ritual. kanyadan, sapthapadhi and paani grahanam are the only rituals. Mangal sutra is just a symbol that came into existence after foreign invasion.If one believes in wearing mangalyam, the other one believes in touching her husband's feet, which she may believe that may enhance the longevity of her husband.
    This habit is different and having control over her husband is different.Both are parallel.
    Even couples who are separated and divorced observe fasting and prayers for the longevity of the ex-partner.
    To me personally, rituals and habits are personal and each has a psychological reason behind this.Some do it by force, some do it willingly even these days.
    You have cited a rare example .

Jayasala 42

girvani and Rihana like this.