Is this name recommeded for a baby girl?

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by revaselva, Feb 24, 2012.

1. revaselva

revaselva Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

In my earlier posts i had asked your suggestion to help me out finalize a name for my 2nd gal, whom I am expecting soon. During one of my conversations with a coworker, i had mentioned that I narrowed down to few names such as Aakansha, Sloka etc. then she immediately told me not to keep 'sloka' for a growing child, since the meaning of sloka doesnt show much growth and also there are different types of slokas for different reasons, meaning not every sloka is for god based or has positive effect etc. she hails from traditional background, eventhough she has lived in US. But, when i mentioned that I had almost finalized that as the name for the kiddo, she apologized abt her opinion and not to consider it.

But, here is where I would you ladies to help me out, if there is any not good reason to name a child 'sloka' really? please pour in your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Revathi

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I like the name Shloka....it is something different and not a common name.

I came across this meaning for the name Shloka - Shloka comes from the Sanskrit word which means, "Hindu Prayer." Sanskrit word which means, "Vedic Literature." Sanskrit word which means, "shloka is a part of stotra(stanza)in the Holy Bhagvadgeeta and in the Mahabharat."

I dont see any negativity behind this name. And also, it is not a NAME that makes a person, it is the character that makes a person. A good upbringing by the parents is what gives a child a strong personality.

3. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi shloka is a nice name but in my known circle we have a baby boy with name shloka so not sure if its a girl name .

4. sathiyafrancis

sathiyafrancis New IL'ite

lovely girl baby name meaning hymn {A song of praise or thanksgiving to God or a deity.}.go a head with it , its unique and meaningful.she will love it.u can thank god in this way by naming her as sloka for blessing u with an angel.

5. ankitkaran

ankitkaran Bronze IL'ite

Nice name for your girl.

6. Riya2012

Riya2012 Bronze IL'ite

I second the opinion of cutemonster. Shloka is nice name but in northern part of india its generally for baby boy and not for a girl.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. yourlittleworld

yourlittleworld New IL'ite

Hi Reva,

Shloka is a nice n pretty name. I hav short listed the same if i deliver a baby girl. Dont worry if its a boy's name coz there r many gender neutral names like karunya, chaitanya etc... there r so many names of maa durga which means Destroyer, still people love to name their little ones with those names. Go ahead and I love the name. when r u due?

8. goodluk

goodluk New IL'ite

hi revathi... u need not worry abt it.... its a traditional name and exact meaning of this is "praising & communicating god".. so surely ur 2nd baby grow with god's grace and guidnce... name her SLOKA!

9. revaselva

revaselva Senior IL'ite

Thanks everyone heartfully for responding to my query. your responses and support have given me good moral boost up to go ahead with my decision. I am actually due this week, but no labor signs yet, so lil concerned.
    But I am surprised how boys could be named 'shloka' rather than 'shlok'. but my knowledge abt north india is limited, so its a new thing that i learned in this thread.
    But how one of the members suggested about gender neutral names, I am almost sure to go ahead with this name for my baby girl. Hope god will shower his blessings to her through out, which is my prime reason to give her this name. All please pray for me to deliver smoothly this lil angel.
    Will update you all once I have my bundle of joy.

Thanks a lot,
    Revathi

10. revaselva

revaselva Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I would like to share the good news that I delivered the baby girl on 13th March....yes she is 5 days past due, but me and the baby are doing fine. And I have named her Sloka. Thanks for all your valuable suggestions and inputs.

Thanks,
    Revathi