1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Fate Or What?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by idonthatemylife, Oct 17, 2016.

1. idonthatemylife

idonthatemylife Silver IL'ite

This is story of how i got married to my DH.Ours was an arranged marriage.Here's how things go in ours and extended families when parents want their kids to get married.They spread the words about looking for alliances for son/daughter to relatives or people in close circle.A middle man/woman(aka negotiator) who is acquainted with the respective parents or relatives of the parents is introduced to our lives. After a lot of discussions over filter coffees,sweet and kaarams, jathakams(horoscopes)are exchanged through the negotiator.If the jathakams match, then photos are exchanged.If the photos pass their tests, messages are conveyed about the next steps through Kevin Spacey i.e. the Negotiator. Aiyyo, habba...ippovey kannai kattuthey!!!:dizzy:

Project: Arranging my wedding.
    ==============================
    Participating members are:
    group 1.Paternal members of the family like appas,chittapas,mamas,periappas and even elder male cousins
    group 2.maternal members of the family and any one else like friends of the group 1 interested to contribute to the project

Action items:
    1.discuss for days and weeks about
    (a)which members of family are going to meet the other family?
    (b)where do they want to meet the other family?
    (c)What timings will suit both the families considering all the kandams like Yeman and kaalams like Raagu,ashtamis and navamis and what not?
    2.After successful execution of the planned event, discuss about
    (a)How the planned event went and who all attended?
    (b)Which members of our family did not attend even after repeated phone calls of invitation?
    (c)Which of the food items were to be served or not served for the planned event?
    (d)Who all gonna raid the Jewellery and all those big retail clothing stores?

Repeat Steps 1,1(c),2(a),(b),(c) for every pre-wedding and wedding functions.

Now coming to my story:
    2003:
    After the exchange and approval of Jathakams,My father went with my cousin to this guy's(my husband's) house(an informal visit to meet him and his family).My father liked my ILs family so much.I was informed of the entire details only after this visit.As i refused flatly to get married,My mum used to call me everyday and keep me updated on his status like " that boy is now working in CHennai. his family very good people and hes going to travel abroad in a month".I would tell her"why are u telling me about that boy? avan entha ooruku venalum pottumey. enakenna?"- meaning "let him go wherever he wants to, why would it matter to me where he goes?". My mum did convince me finally and i did agree to get married. Believe me when i say this. I did say 'yes' before seeing his photo.Six months passed.It was agreed upon by our respective parents that they both would not look for any other alliances for us.The esteemed members of his family graced us with their presence.Cladding a pattu saree with jewels, I sat for the Question hour/interview?The first time I learnt to keep smiling for hours cos i dint want to look bored.Goundamani-Senthil jokes came in handy for me.;)I passed.:clap2:

My husband's side of the story( he told me after we started to communicate).
    2003:
    This guy(my DH) did travel abroad within a month after my father met their family.He went abroad because he was not interested in getting married as well.His parents used to call him and ask him how to go about this proposal i.e me.He tried his best to avoid the talks and prolong his travel back to India for getting married.Finally he gave a green signal to go ahead.Trust me when i say this. He had not seen my foto.

2004:
    Neither of us did want to communicate with each other.Finally I sent an email to this guy(my DH) wishing on his Birthday bcos one of my dearest cousins insisted that i did so.I did a major fuss and sent that email just wishing on his birthday.

His story:
    His friends insisted that he replied to my email and he did so.I got a call from an Unknown number one evening and i realised it was him. Then it all happened.Major chatting over the phones and yahoo messenger(Skype was not there) for hours.

2005:
    His highness came back to India and we got engaged and got married with a month.The song "Oru Vaartha kekka oru Varusham" from the movie "Ayya" was the highly voted and requested number played by our Reception Orchestra.

2016:Here we are.Still together with our nok jhoks and very little common interests that we share together.I really don't hate my life after all.

P.S:Thankfully that was the one time i sat for the question hour.Sorry for a very long post.

Laks09, sbonigala, Suja9 and 6 others like this.

2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

funny and sweet post :)....

3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Lol.
    Loved the way you have written it. Simply very good narration. Nostalgic for me as well, when I think my pre marriage and marriage. Who cares about whether we share same tastes etc. As long as we are compatible we are blessed. Seems you are blessed.
    Thanks for making me nostalgic.
    Vaidehi

4. idonthatemylife

Thanks

5. idonthatemylife

Hi,Thanks for the feedback.I was just reminiscing about the past. I did find myself smiling while putting thoughts into words.Especially the on-going discussions of elders about anything and everything sipping their filter coffees.I feel kids brought up abroad(outside India) miss these little pleasures in life i.e. being part of a grand family function in India or celebrating festivals.JMO.

Lakshmi6197 and vaidehi71 like this.
  6. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

I do agree that. But times have changed in India too as well, what would happen in another decade is actually anyone's guess nowadays. We just hope everything would be fine. But I agree the family and extended familial connection would be missing for them for sure.

7. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

Loved your post OP. You hit the marital jackpot :biggrin:
    May both of you have a long and happy life together :angel:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. idonthatemylife

I forgot to add this.My DH says to me even now "You ppl played a trick on me by sending your cute passport size photo".I shud have seen you in person.hehe.:tearsofjoy:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  9. idonthatemylife

Marital Jackpot? Did you speak to my MIL??:wink:.
    Thanks for the wishes.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Thinking about happy times and loved ones will surely come out of feeling "Out of place"
    Have a good time and take good care of yourself dear.

vaidehi71 likes this.