1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Correct Way To Make Child Eat Healthy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Vedhavalli, May 13, 2018.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends
    One of my aquitance, has same age group daughter like me.
    At a party, that lady's kid and few other kids were fuzzy with food. That lady told her kid, "if you eat these veggies , fruits your skin will grow and become soft and your hair will grow nice like actresses, you will become fair and beautiful".

I usually say to my kid , "should eat vegetables and fruits to grow stronger, eyesight will improve , taller " etc.

I felt that lady's intensions were correct but words were wrong.
    That too in a common place like a party.
    Is this correct way making kids eat healthy food?
    Plus she was giving free Gyan to me n other moms who have daughters
    You should tell kids, "if you eat healthy food your skin and hair will become beautiful".
    I agree if you say this to teen kids yes it will work. Not with kindergarten kids.
    Won't the child's mind get fixed up by eating such foods will become physically beautiful.
    I'm raising my kid without any attributes like gender, color, race etc. Will such comments from people like this impact my kid?
    My kid asked if that lady's words are true.. I said food is for growing n maintaining health .

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Somehow these gender stereotyping doesn't work for me. I feel it's our duty as parents of the next gen to implement this correctly in our kids mind for their own safe n happy lives.

Beauty is only a personal view. I know many who considers Aishwarya Rai not beautiful at all n others who praises her beauty. So her or any other actress or anyone are not the right benchmarks. You are your own benchmark.

Raising someone solely on 'beauty' may pave path to a lot of insecurities in life. I believe in inculcating 'mental strength' more than anything. That's very important.

I raise my kid to be strong n healthy mentally n physically. Eat right so that your organs are healthy, have good stamina n live a good, long life. I have gotten my son kitchen, house, baby, cleaning toys along with guns, cars n books, so he grows up balanced rather than saying gals job / guys job. I would do the same for a gal too.

The next gens quality of life is in our hands, we need to bring them up right.

As long as you stay strong, others words will have very less effect on your kid. This is a better way for you to teach your kid to handle it the right way rather than hiding it from her.

messedup, Vedhavalli, gknew and 2 others like this.
  3. Vedhavalli

Thanks @ashneys
    Good that I'm not the lone person thinking to raise a child without genger stereotype.
    Yes , I shouldn't bother much about these type of comments.
    I too buy her marvel shoes, Batman t shirts, cars bag, let her play anything she likes.
    One day my daughter said one kid in school (pre school) said these bags are only boys type. I told her reply to the kid. She did next day saying this is the bag I like.

sindmani likes this.
  4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

U r doing a good job. Girl child needs to be bold and smart . once they reach teens they would learn about gender differentiation by perceiving the society.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Happy for u

6. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Vedhavalli
    I remember some of the stories of your daughter. She is superstar in making and i m sure you are doing a wonderful Job.
    Do share more about her....if you are fine with it :)

Regarding the above post, this was the first time i heard this kind of parenting tricks, I was brought up with words like" karela se khoon saaf hota hai ( Bitter gourd makes your blood clean, Okra makes you intelligent. spinach makes you strong..and blah blah ) they still ring in my ears and till now i eat with that mindset.

Vedhavalli and sindmani like this.
  7. Vedhavalli

Yes, that's what. I never heard to make kids eat like that.
    Only during wedding time, mom n aunts , cousins will say eat this that for skin n hair.

sindmani likes this.