1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Protein?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Naari, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILs,

In a lot of health threads recently, I have read of many suggestions of consuming more protein and cutting out carbs. I too have shifted to a diet that is more 'protein' based diet. But, a thought crossed my mind today, haven't we learnt that 'excess of anything can be harmful' and what about importance of "balanced diets"? So, a related question, "is there such a thing as too much protein"? I googled this question and indeed found some articles that say too much protein can be harmful, can cause kidney stones, increase cancer risk (yes!!, startled by this one).. So, am again unsure of whether I am doing the right thing by consuming too much protein and reducing carbs substantially.

So, my questions for you friends:
    Is there such a thing as too much protein?
    If there are any doctors or nutritionists out here, can you pls throw light on possible consequences of excessive protein consumption in the long run?
    Also, if too much protein is harmful, how much is "too much"?

Thank you!!

Puttabbay likes this.

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Yes, there is such a thing as too much protein. I mean you could die from drinking excessive water, so there is nothing that is inherently good or bad, just try to be moderate with whatever you consume and don't go on faddy diets.

The West has this penchant for dividing and declaring certain bimolecular substances such as carbohydrates and fat "bad" whilst declaring others such as protein and water "good". I just find this bizarre. Could we honestly survive without fat and carbohydrates? A few years ago the West went on this tirade that one must drink eight glasses of water a day. They said that drinking water is healthy. Next thing they shall be telling us that it very important to breathe "x" amount of air per day.

People started saying "I make sure to drink eight glasses of water every day" or "I am not drinking enough water." This kind of talk struck me as very funny. Drinking water comes naturally to all living creatures. They don't have to be told to drink it. Just drink when you are thirsty. Factors such as age, gender, weight, health and physical exertion all determine our water intake. We just listen to our body. When the body says drink, we drink. Forcing our body to drink more water than it has asked for just puts unnecessary strain on our kidneys.

I think most human beings have enough common sense to know what is good for them. Know where your food comes from: Try to buy organic produce from farmer's markets. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables on a daily basis, eat nuts and dry fruits, have fresh milk and dairy products, have eggs, eat different types of fish and seafood, if you are a meat-eater have white and occasionally red meat. Sleep eight hours a day, breathe fresh air (yes, I know I ridiculed this advice :), interact with nature, do aerobic exercise (running, cycling), do strength training (lift weights), do things that please you, spend time with your family, have a balanced and holistic approach to life. Don't see things in isolation and your life should come together beautifully.

iamsrihere and Naari like this.
  3. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

4. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Usually it is said if taken in excess even Amirtham will become Poison.Our food intake was previously designed based on this. Aru suvai undi - all tastes in one meals. sweetness,pulippu,salt, karam, thuvarppu,bitterness .the dishes used to be prepared in such a way so that it contains all these tastes.Nowadays we take only uppu,(salt), karam -, inippu,pulippu. the thuvarppu & kasappu(bitterness) very rarely consumed.
    Our Indian cooking one food item served one day will not be repeated next day .Similarly they used to say we should not use the same vegetable for sambar & kari .
    Excess protein is always dangerous.i am not a doctor. i have heard from guests visiting our house .some say " Adai no no protein rich. doc advised me not to take"
    My husband is also advised by Doc not to take too much P.as he is having bad collastaral. I am daily drinking B -protein & taking P rich items.
    What is excess is based on so many factors like age,gender,heath etc.As requested doctors can throw light on this & also give some useful tips.They can also advise about excess also.
    "The woods are lovely dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

Naari likes this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

That's a good go-to list! I am doing everything here except for eating eggs, meat and seafood (as I am veg) and buying organic (still not sold on that one, just think organic is an excuse for retailers to charge more or extort)..So, I guess not too bad..

Would be also interested in seeing what others think about buying organic produce here..

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Patients with kidney problems are advised not to have too much protein. Everything in moderation is fine I am sure.
    Read an article recently that recommended buying organic strawberries , they were found to have the highest pesticide content.

Naari likes this.
  7. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Any overdose will cause harm in the long run. You may not notice the effects immediately,but in the long run,the impact may be seen. Like too much protein will cause constipation. And once constipation sets in, several diseases will follow if it is chronic.

It is important to eat balanced food,seasonal foods and also regional foods. These days we are getting many exotic varieties of fruits & vegetables all round the year. But the refrigeration period they undergo makes them lose all the freshness and nutrition benefits.Fruits & vegetables available in our locality in every season has the effect of combating the ill effects of that particular season. Also we hear guavas are the most nutritious among the fruits for Indian.So a guava a day will keep the doctor away in India.

In addition to food,an active lifestyle & good sleep will help in the overall health.

Umanga and Naari like this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Lol, really? It's like the higher you pay, higher the pesticides you get!! :tongueclosed::tongueclosed:Remarkable!

9. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I think she may have meant that non-organic strawberries were found to have the highest pesticidal content. Otherwise, why would would the article recommend buying organic strawberries? Am I right @Sandycandy?

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Was puzzled myself too! But as I already said I don't buy the concept of organic, so wouldn't be surprised if the organic had pesticides in it.. who knows what they do?