1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Current India Better To Live Than Abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I have lived my entire life in India but have many relatives who are in abroad countries...while I do love my life in India, I found that there are many advantages they have while living in the U.S..
    1. They stay away from in laws most of the time, so to some extent they are spared from interference..
    2. The quality of education is good and they get to chose their courses with flexible timings..many of my aunts have studied after marriage in U.S...few have done masters and even doctorate after going abroad, during young age and in middle age also..there s no age limit for studies there and they say people of all age groups attend grad school.
    3. They don't have unnecessary family obligations like guests and relatives coming over everyday or compulsions to attend family functions ., not as much as people in India
    4. Newly married couples get time to bond with each other
    5. No traffic or population, cleanliness in public places
    6. Facilities in general
    7. Work environment, many say that they go to office by 8 or 9 pm leave office by 5 or maximum 6 pm ..no need to stay back unless there is some issue..when I was working in MNC before quitting..I mean in India..,the work culture was to go to office by 9-10 pm and stay back till 8 or 8.30 pm..if anyone left at 6 pm he or she would be criticised for "leaving early"
    8. Homes are mostly clean so no need for sweeping mopping everyday..and no power cuts there so they can freeze and keep food in fridge for some days without worrying that it'll get spoilt due to power cut.
    Cut veggies are also available in supermarket which they use for making sabzis.
    I love India,don't have anything against India..just few advantages that few of my abroad settled relatives told me..
    I m sure u also love India as much as your life in the U.S., but I mentioned these points so that u can answer back your friends when they irritate u with America bashing!

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

+1.
    Once you get to high school, grades matter. Class rank matters. The teachers don't care about wholesome education. They care only about grades and rating. You won't get to college without the grades. Asian kids won't get to the same college without better grades. Girls better score more than the boys. The ones with Indian names better ace the sat/Act and whatever else. Kids don't take courses out of passion. They take courses to beat the system, to get the gpa and it's all kids not just one or two.

My DD knows the in and out of math applications but won't know the basics until I teach her. Same with "wholesome" science. Underlying science is taught outside of school. You either tutor or find a tutor or your kid better be brilliant.

The child is under "constant" pressure to keep up grades. They have to be in the teachers good books or atleast stay out of the teacher's hit list. There is such a thing as not making grades because the teacher doesn't like you. Tenured teachers in HS don't care a damn.
    HS is a very tiring experience. It's better done in India in some good school.

Colleges, I have no doubt about the quality in the US. I personally would have sent mine back even if I had been in India.

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

My problem with the US is that every time the aliens feel like taking a vacation, they come here to blow things up, forcing us to got through all that reconstruction, yet again. When Cyberdyne Systems wants to field test a T-800, do they do it Chennai? Nooooooo! It's always here. Same with the replicants and Tyrell Corp. Always Roswell, Area-51, New York, New Mexico, LA ... blah, blah, blah - not Raichur or Rajkot. And don't get me started on that John Connor guy. Jeez.
    Yes, the current India is definitely the better place to live. I spend most of my time here, in the US, hiding under the bed, petrified with fear. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

No, last time they landed in District 9 in South Africa because they found the postcode easier to crack than the confusing zipcodes of US.

That is because moms like Sarah Connor had taught their children, if they don't get it right the first time, not to worry. Go back and try again, and again till they get it right.

Beware, little monsters under the bed are scarier than green monsters patrolling the occupied streets.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    vaidehi71, Laks09 and blissofmylife like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

7. Layanj

Layanj New IL'ite

definitely better in terms of opportunities

8. MrCroc

MrCroc Silver IL'ite

There are Pros and Cons to everything, depends what you are doing and what you want.

US/Canada/Aus/Europe Pro:

1. Less population and less population density :-
    Meaning more open spaces in cities. Facilities are less crowded. Much easier to get admission in schools and no 100-200 student classes. Also, you are valued more every where because there are not THAT many of you. Politicians are more bothered about you as if few more like you start to oppose them, they will very easily lose an election. Businesses want to serve you better -- if you start complaining about them it can be REALLY detrimental for their business, because there are only these many folks.

2. Life is easier for Average person :-
    If you are doing avarage job, like waiting in hotel, running delivery service, electrician work, plumbing, fixing HVAC etc life will be much better. In India, you will be paid peanuts and your life will be miserable.

3. Very few people are able to bend laws.
    The price to bend the laws is very very high. Meaning, if you are an average son-of-a-cop, you cann't just get away from anything legal. If you are a son of a senetor or MP, it does not mean you will be able to demand laws to be bent for you. Only very highly positioned bureaucrats and government representatives can bend laws.

4. Traffic rules are actually followed!

5. If you pay for something, you are expected to get that.

If you pay for government service, government will ensure that service will be delivered to you.

Cons:

1. It is very hard to get premium services. Prices are sky high. Like healthcare. In US/Canada, general health care is wide-spread but if you need a specilized health care, you have to pay huge amount or have to wait for longer time in a queue. In india, it is very easy to get the best health care for very less money. Rs. 1000 will get you consulation from the best cardiologists immediately.

2. It is possible to be highly paid in India and it makes your life much better much faster. I earn about 40 Lakh per annum working as a software guy with few years under the belt. It is very easy to live a very good life in that amount. It is not possible to get this much purchasing power in US/Canada without having your own business or being a very senior management executive.

3. Converse of point 1. in pro, the services in India are very cheap and you have huge selection of some very good service providers too. Simple things like maid, cleaning folks, plumbers, electricians, mechanics etc. You can easily afford services of folks who will serve you breakfast in you bed, clean and iron your clothes, clean your dwellings, drive your car etc for a very modest salary for 15-20 Lakhs. Try in Canada / USA. Will not happen unless you are a billionaire.

Sunshine04, nuss, anika987 and 3 others like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Both India & US have many merits and demerits. US REMAINS land of opp
    Opportunity. Many Indians have turned millionaires in $terms. Indian origin inventors and those sharing Nobel prize for their research or business skill are cold examples. A botanist in India turned Nobel laureate for chemistry.(Ramakrishnan) Sabhir Bhatia sold his YAHOO FOR MILLION $s to micro soft. Life style far far higher in Us.
    2. An post graduate in Automobile felt indebted to Bharat remained in India but Bharat Mahta could because of bureaucracy began his career in Shipping for which he had no training & he had to learn the work from clean slate. His contemporaries in Detroit for over five decades are far far better in terms of health wealth and mental peace. India wastes talents and the exchequer' money goes down the drain. Science & Pharma grads employed in Banks or in unrelated sectors. They are employed in fields for which they have no love.
    3. Nation believes keeping themselves busy 24x7 ulogising dead leaders & legends and mis govern and mis direct their disciples.
    4. I can TALK ad nauseum more ills of India but not competent to talk of US without residing there. In terms of opportunities, India can never match to USA. One should ignore and say GTH to people claim to be happy and glad of state of affairs in India. (GTH = go to hell).
    Thanks to your thread.
    Regards.:innocent:

anika987 likes this.
  10. magicwand007

magicwand007 Bronze IL'ite

Hey Anika

Just offering my opinion here so please take it with a pinch of salt :).i have seen/read many of your posts and I feel that you are truly not happy in USA.you might say here you feel blessed to be in USA but I think you long to be back in India.
    Now this feeling won't go away unless you do something about it.I remember in one post you mentioned that you wanted to R2I but your husband does not want to as he likes it better here.so you think to yourself that you have made peace with it but I somehow do not think that is the case .your heart longs to go back ...go back to your homeland..to your mother..to your relatives and friends..

So hundreds of people might voice their opinion and share their views on which country is better to live in but believe me when I say that it is not going to change what you feel like.i truly feel that you will be happier in India and if there is any chance you could go back you would have :).

Sandycandy, anika987 and shyamala1234 like this.